Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Dr. Zhivago Haters Gather Here!

BasilBruce

and I'll tell ya somethin' else...

just my opinion but rita tushingham's appearance (face) is an insult to julie christie's beauty.

doan mean to sound harsh but that's how I see it. :D

Thank you for joining us, Mr. Trump.

I still haven't seen it. I know it's on a lot but every time it comes on I think oh 3 hrs maybe next time.

I planned to record it Monday for Omar's tribute but forgot so another time it is again.

I also own the book but have not read it.

I always thought that the only people who have not seen DOCTOR ZHIVAGO are people that don't know what TCM stands for.

• 4 weeks later...

Here you go everyone.  The 50th anniversary is here and a new restoration is about to hit theatres.

Warning to epileptics: this trailer has those annoying fade to blacks every few seconds that unimaginative editors are in love with these days.

Here you go everyone.  The 50th anniversary is here and a new restoration is about to hit theatres.

Warning to epileptics: this trailer has those annoying fade to blacks every few seconds that unimaginative editors are in love with these days.

OMG- that music score is SO BANAL too.

I will say this: it looks gorgeous- I actually thought the first few shots were part of a youtube ad, they looked as if they were filmed today.

i'm with you on the fade to black edits, although if I could watch the entire movie boiled down to 20 minutes of scenes fading to black, i'd take over the whole THREE HOUR slog that is ZHIVAGO.

OMG- that music score is SO BANAL too.

I will say this: it looks gorgeous- I actually thought the first few shots were part of a youtube ad, they looked as if they were filmed today.

i'm with you on the fade to black edits, although if I could watch the entire movie boiled down to 20 minutes of scenes fading to black, i'd take over the whole THREE HOUR slog that is ZHIVAGO.

Gad, if I didn't know what an endless bore this movie actually is, this trailer would make me run to the theaters.  Gorgeous restoration for sure.

You know, I've recently been watching a few Powell and Pressburger films, and while I realize that David Lean did some absolutely incredible movies, their whole body of work has a lot more humor and is a bit more easy going and they took more artistic risks than David Lean did in his.

I won't say that they were better, but overall their stuff tends to be more accessible and more fun and- dare i say it?- leaner and meaner machines than Lean's work overall.

I can't wait for the next showing of Doctor Zhivago. I love that train ride. what's the name of that place? yuri-atin? :huh:

Classic Dr. Zhivago

One of the greatest Russian novels of the C20th – adapted repeatedly for both the big and small screens with all-star casts – is itself set on the Trans-Siberian line… Pasternak’s “Dr Zhivago”. All the action that takes place at Zhivago’s old country house, and the town of “Yuriatin” near it, is in fact set around Perm, the real city fictionalised as “Yuriatin”. This unique itinerary combines a classic Trans-Sib trip with some special Zhivago-related visits in and around Perm… the city where its author lived and drafted the novel.

http://www.trans-siberian.co.uk/package/classic-dr-zhivago-st-petersburg-to-beijing/

I wonder if TCM will have screenings across the country? I've never seen it on the big screen, so I might actually go! (LOL)

Classic Dr. Zhivago

One of the greatest Russian novels of the C20th – adapted repeatedly for both the big and small screens with all-star casts – is itself set on the Trans-Siberian line… Pasternak’s “Dr Zhivago”. All the action that takes place at Zhivago’s old country house, and the town of “Yuriatin” near it, is in fact set around Perm, the real city fictionalised as “Yuriatin”. This unique itinerary combines a classic Trans-Sib trip with some special Zhivago-related visits in and around Perm… the city where its author lived and drafted the novel.

http://www.trans-siberian.co.uk/package/classic-dr-zhivago-st-petersburg-to-beijing/

I wouldn't do the tour in the winter time though.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Bogie said: Here you go everyone.  The 50th anniversary is here and a new restoration is about to hit theatres.

Amazing. I wonder if audiences of today might like it better than we do?

The music is annoying, but for me the killer is the glorifying of adultery. Otherwise, this historical elements & scenery are magnificent.

• 2 months later...

For me it is a toss up between Lawrence of Arabia and this film....too much, too much.  I would rather celebrate David Lean's films, IN WHICH WE SERVE and BRIEF ENCOUNTER which were intimate and character driven with much subtlety....thank goodness. 

Nooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(Thankfully I missed it.)

I watched it. sunday ain't sunday without that snowy train ride through the urals to yuri-atin :lol:

another sunday with kamarovsky reading lara like a book. :)

I watched it. sunday ain't sunday without that snowy train ride through the urals to yuri-atin :lol:

another sunday with kamarovsky reading lara like a book. :)

it's no great mystery why she plugged him.

she was saying help me, viktor! save me from myself. I belong with you.

she couldn't fool him.

with a grim determination, he is always there for her.

in his own way of course. :D

how about a sequel chronicling lara's years with viktor after she got on the train without no-show yuri....

Komarovsky & Lara or simply...

Viktor & Me :wub:

"it was always you, viktor."

"I know my dear, you don't have to tell me."

20z8zll.jpg

Archived