Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Dr. Zhivago Haters Gather Here!

BasilBruce

I think you should change the title of this thread to something like 'tell me why you love Dr. Zhivago'.     This might be chum to bring in those that really do care for the film and maybe they could explain why.    Right now its all very one-sided  (but that doesn't surprise me).

This post is back on p. 3 of this thread.

Call me crazy, but to offer a differing opinion is not the same thing as being off-topic.

Sorry, Swithin, but not immediately seeing a nearby thread in which the pros and cons of the film can be discussed and unwilling to look for some thread on p. 73 to bump up, I will offer a defense of DR. ZHIVAGO here.

Many posters on here at least seem to acknowledge Rod Steiger's performance was extraordinary. I would also give a shout out to Tom Courtenay, who was the only actor in the film to get an Oscar nomination.

But Julie Christie. My God! That scene where Steiger momentarily holds a veil to her face as if she's a mystic Arab princess, how any heterosexual male couldn't fall in love with her at that moment, I don't know.

It is exceedingly long, and it is a bit emotionally dry, but for better or worse, that's what Lean decided his MO was going to be from BRIDGE to the end of his career. I feel like he ought to be saluted for being true to his own vision, rather than conforming to the expectations of the posters here.

I tend to like the first half more than the second. Maybe I just dig oppressive monarchist opulence than I do Communist dogmatism.

I'm frankly stunned at all the people saying "I can't watch all of it" or "I keep falling asleep during it". I want to yell at all those people to just watch TRANSFORMERS if they can't stay awake for DR. ZHIVAGO, but I think most of the people I would be yelling at consider themselves elitist film snobs despite their inability to watch this movie in its entirety and so would not like TRANSFORMERS either.

I do think it's extraordinarily unfair to participate in this thread if you couldn't even commit to watching the entire movie before you dissed it. Terribly lazy on the part of all you people. It needed to be said!

Well, I dont hate the film. I just hate that TCM shows it at least once a month.........

I do wish I had the opportunity to see it on a big screen. Visually, its a spectacular movie......

But Julie Christie. My God! That scene where Steiger momentarily holds a veil to her face as if she's a mystic Arab princess, how any heterosexual male couldn't fall in love with her at that moment, I don't know.

It is exceedingly long, and it is a bit emotionally dry, but for better or worse, that's what Lean decided his MO was going to be from BRIDGE to the end of his career. I feel like he ought to be saluted for being true to his own vision, rather than conforming to the expectations of the posters here.

I do think it's extraordinarily unfair to participate in this thread if you couldn't even commit to watching the entire movie before you dissed it. Terribly lazy on the part of all you people. It needed to be said!

Well, I'm a heterosexual male and I say, "Meh."

So, you're happy he didn't make a motion picture that entertained people?  That was my expectation, at least.

I stayed awake and didn't walk out of the theater.  I endured the whole bloody thing.

Finally, why would you take any offense that people don't like a movie, in a thread for people who hate the movie????!

Nowhere did I take offense at people not liking the movie. You're not reading what I said very carefully. I think it's lazy to not even watch a whole movie and say it's terrible.

Well, speaking for myself, I took not the least offense. My post about "reporting you" was of course, joking. But I'm sure you and everyone else knows that.

I'm happy to see a post from you on any thread, regardless of what your particular "stand" (if any) might be.

Nowhere did I take offense at people not liking the movie. You're not reading what I said very carefully. I think it's lazy to not even watch a whole movie and say it's terrible.

Except, if they aren't compelled to watch the entire movie, then that says something about how they feel about it, doesn't it?  I never walk out of a film, or turn it off.  I always get to the end, even if I hate it; but, I don't think it's lazy of those who do.  Actually, I think it's rather smart of them.  I'm sort of OCD about it, which is the only reason I don't.

It's an endless circular argument, I guess - does it say more about the movie or the viewer? Personally, I think it says more about the viewer being lazy. Some films have major plot twists or really pick up steam as they near the end, and if you've already turned it off and decided you hate it, what right do you have to comment on the work as a whole? (I don't mean you, personally, I'm using the universal "you:). I realize posters on here aren't professional critics, but I wouldn't read the reviews of a professional critic who doesn't even finish the movie they're reviewing.

I think it's okay if posters want to preface their comments by saying, "The part I saw was so bad, I couldn't watch the rest." But there are a lot of posts on here that go more like, "This is a terrible movie. One of the worst. Oh, by the way, I only saw some of it".

I don't think we are hating on Doctor Zhivago because it is bad film but rather because it shoulda been far better with much greater emotional impact than David Lean decided to imbue it with. I find Omar Sharif quite passable as Zhivago. The problem is as I see it instead of playing Zhivago as a boldly impassioned man, Sharif plays him as a quietly impassioned man. It's like Sharif's Zhivago knows that for him and his loved ones to get by in the new Bolshevik purgatory, he has to maintain a low profile in spite of what he privately in his mind thinks of the revolution...of course, never having read the Pasternak novel, I don't know if Sharif's way is the correct one.

I will say this though, I think Franklin J. Schaffner coulda done a much better job with the subject matter than David Lean did.  :)

I will say this though, I think Franklin J. Schaffner coulda done a much better job with the subject matter than David Lean did.  :)

Also, Robert Wise, Fred Zinneman, Stanley Kramer, etc., etc., etc.

This post is back on p. 3 of this thread.

Call me crazy, but to offer a differing opinion is not the same thing as being off-topic.

I'm not sure what you're getting at in your reply.   My point about changing the title of the post was that based on the title those that love the movie may not feel compelled to post at a thread with such a negative title.    Note that there has been few (any?),  that have stated why they love or even really like this film.     Is the title driving them away?

I'm interested in their opinions as well (but not to beat them up for it) and with such a title,  they might stay away.  That leads to less of a fruitful discussion. 

As for your 'lazy' point:  I agree with that.   This is why I was careful to say I couldn't really judge the film because based on the parts I have seen I lost interested and changed to something else.    So while that says the film couldn't keep my interest,  you're correct that maybe I missed out on parts that I may of found interesting.

Here is a story related to that:  My wife and I were talking to her close friend and her husband.  Both of us married without children.   Well the topic of 'would life have been more fulfilling if we had kids?' came up.   Well my wife's friend was quick to say NO.   I said 'well how do we know,  we didn't experience it,  so we can't really compare,,,'.   Well she got really upset and said something like 'you're just like my mother!'.    To this day (over 10 years later)  she is still bitter about this!      

Actually have thought about this a lot lately.  There are too many "epics" and just too long movies.  In fact, most epics and movies over two hours are too long.

The other problem is that once you have seen it, you really don't want to watch it all again because you know how loooong the director drug out most of the scenes.  And then created too many scenes.

Anything over about 120 minutes is questionable.

I think this is why people really like the 60-90 minute movies from the 30's through the 50's and watch them over and over and over again.

I did enjoy Dr. Zhivago the first time I saw it when in college and then about 15 years later on TV.  Never watched it since.  Feel the same way about The Longest Day, Patton, Exodus, The Ten Commandments and many others.  Some I even have on DVD and haven;t watched since I got them.

My wife refers to A Bridge Too Far as A Movie Too Long.

I'm not sure what you're getting at in your reply.   My point about changing the title of the post was that based on the title those that love the movie may not feel compelled to post at a thread with such a negative title.    Note that there has been few (any?),  that have stated why they love or even really like this film.     Is the title driving them away?

I'm interested in their opinions as well (but not to beat them up for it) and with such a title,  they might stay away.  That leads to less of a fruitful discussion. 

As for your 'lazy' point:  I agree with that.   This is why I was careful to say I couldn't really judge the film because based on the parts I have seen I lost interested and changed to something else.    So while that says the film couldn't keep my interest,  you're correct that maybe I missed out on parts that I may of found interesting.

Here is a story related to that:  My wife and I were talking to her close friend and her husband.  Both of us married without children.   Well the topic of 'would life have been more fulfilling if we had kids?' came up.   Well my wife's friend was quick to say NO.   I said 'well how do we know,  we didn't experience it,  so we can't really compare,,,'.   Well she got really upset and said something like 'you're just like my mother!'.    To this day (over 10 years later)  she is still bitter about this!      

Gotta say I think the possible height of "laziness" here would be IF someone was driven away from expressing their thoughts about this film simply because they might "fear" their opinion(be it positive OR negative) might be in the minority, and thus would be "too lazy" to then further state the reason(s) for their opinion once it might be challenged.

(...yep, THAT to ME would be "lazy")

Gotta say I think the possible height of "laziness" here would be IF someone was driven away from expressing their thoughts about this film simply because they might "fear" their opinion(be it positive OR negative) might be in the minority, and thus would be "too lazy" to then further state the reason(s) for their opinion once it might be challenged.

(...yep, THAT to ME would be "lazy")

I have to disagree on that.   I don't feel it is laziness that would keep someone away but more shyness.    Yea,  if there was a thread 'we love June Allyson,, here is why',  I wouldn't be shy about voicing my counter opinion,  but I could understand why someone else would be.

I have to disagree on that.   I don't feel it is laziness that would keep someone away but more shyness.    Yea,  if there was a thread 'we love June Allyson,, here is why',  I wouldn't be shy about voicing my counter opinion,  but I could understand why someone else would be.

Well, I've often thought that "shyness" is very often just the convenient and socially acceptable use of not having the guts to state one's opinion and to avoid "rocking the boat" and possibly risk becoming "unpopular".

(...but maybe that's just my opinion)

What? I don't remember that - guess it's true, because I don't like the film I'm not always paying attention to it.

At what point in Dr. Zhivago is Guiness depicted as a teenager? All I can think of is the peripheral role he plays as some kind of Soviet official.

Hey, I've only seen this damn thing all the way through once (no, twice- but after that I realized I'd have to be relegated to one of Dante's nine circles, etc. etc. before I'd ever see it again...) so forgive me if my memory of this is sketchy.

It's hard to tell exactly what's going on here, but it doesn't look as though anyone's having much fun.

The never-ending screening of Dr. Zhivago is just out of sight, around the corner. I think maybe it's in Circle #5.

dante%20%28449x599%29.jpg

What? I don't remember that - guess it's true, because I don't like the film I'm not always paying attention to it.

At what point in Dr. Zhivago is Guiness depicted as a teenager? All I can think of is the peripheral role he plays as some kind of Soviet official.

Hey, I've only seen this damn thing all the way through once (no, twice- but after that I realized I'd have to be relegated to one of Dante's nine circles, etc. etc. before I'd ever see it again...) so forgive me if my memory of this is sketchy.

There is this one scene of a young Yevgraf marching thru the street with others on their way to the front.

Which says to me that she wishes she had children, but is in denial.  Otherwise there is no explaining her bitterness.

Actually have thought about this a lot lately.  There are too many "epics" and just too long movies.  In fact, most epics and movies over two hours are too long.

The Ten Commandments and many others.  

There isn't a single second of THE TEN COMMANDMENTS I find boring.  I've seen it at least 20 times.

Which says to me that she wishes she had children, but is in denial.  Otherwise there is no explaining her bitterness.

Parenthood means a lifetime of commitment and responsibility that some people realize beforehand it is something they wish to avoid. 

Archived