Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
BasilBruce

Dr. Zhivago Haters Gather Here!

There isn't a single second of THE TEN COMMANDMENTS I find boring.  I've seen it at least 20 times.

Same here. It is perhaps the greatest film of all time but certainly one of the greatest.

The stiffest character in Doctor Zhivago.

Even a cold wind at the rear of a fast-moving train cannot phase him. :D 

2isa7ih.jpg

This is how the place became in real life, when entering from the West you were greeted with eyes hidden behind an open slot staring at you. It gave you the creeps from day one. They always knew where you were and what you did. Visiting was like going to a morgue. You couldn't laugh openly or they would tell you to shut up or else. That's how bad things became.

This place became as bad as the Nazis were, but since we "allied" with them it is given a pass.

The guy in the photo looks like he knows he will end up dead any day, and it happens. In real life Stalin eliminated many who were close to him, even wiping them off of earlier photos as though they never lived.

I guess they could have done a fluffed up version that others would have liked but the box office was big for this and many do like the movie. This is not a romance set on Blue Lagoon but under harsh conditions. This character in the picture is similar to characters in The Mortal Storm. In that movie it goes from complete happiness to horror over the rise of the Nazi's. Friends quickly became enemies. People put their allegiances over love.

This is how the place became in real life, when entering from the West you were greeted with eyes hidden behind an open slot staring at you. It gave you the creeps from day one. They always knew where you were and what you did. Visiting was like going to a morgue. You couldn't laugh openly or they would tell you to shut up or else. That's how bad things became.

This place became as bad as the Nazis were, but since we "allied" with them it is given a pass.

The guy in the photo looks like he knows he will end up dead any day, and it happens. In real life Stalin eliminated many who were close to him, even wiping them off of earlier photos as though they never lived.

I guess they could have done a fluffed up version that others would have liked but the box office was big for this and many do like the movie. This is not a romance set on Blue Lagoon but under harsh conditions. This character in the picture is similar to characters in The Mortal Storm. In that movie it goes from complete happiness to horror over the rise of the Nazi's. Friends quickly became enemies. People put their allegiances over love.

So, basically what you're sayin' here MM is that THIS is the reason Ruskies, just like Germans, aren't noted for their comedy, RIGHT?! ;)

Dargo, you got it, lol. The book was banned from publication by the Soviet Union and the writer threatened. What the book is about ended up happening to him. No comedies, lol.

Can anybody tell me why Laura's mother tried to commit suicide? Didn't she push Laura into Rod's arms?

Parenthood means a lifetime of commitment and responsibility that some people realize beforehand it is something they wish to avoid. 

I could see a lifetime of Mom harping on it explaining her bitterness..........

Can anybody tell me why Laura's mother tried to commit suicide? Didn't she push Laura into Rod's arms?

It's Lara, for yefgraf's sake.  :D

She no doubt must've viewed Komarovsky as infinitely more preferable for her daughter Lara than Pasha.  :)

Parenthood means a lifetime of commitment and responsibility that some people realize beforehand it is something they wish to avoid. 

Of course.  My comment was about the woman's emphatic "no", and bitterness about being told she really didn't know how he life would have been with children, since she didn't have them.  A person who was comfortable with their decision, wouldn't be bitter about that conversation.  Pensive, yes.  Bitter, no.

She no doubt must've viewed Komarovsky as infinitely more preferable for her daughter Lara than Pasha.  :)

NipkowDisc, I haven't counted them, but this must be about the 10th time, if not more, that you've said in one way or another that you prefer the Rod Steiger character to just about anyone else in the film, and that you think Lara should have ended up with him.

I guess you're doing it repeatedly because as far as I can see, no one has as yet acknowledged this point you keep wanting to make.

So I will come to your aid and say, yes, the story would indeed have taken a very different turn if Lara had decided she wanted to stay with Komarovsky (Steiger?) instead of falling for Zhivago. 

I do agree with you about one thing; I like Rod Steiger ( I can think of at least one regular poster who cannot stand him!) and I think he does add interest to the film, those few early scenes he's in.

I do agree with you about one thing; I like Rod Steiger ( I can think of at least one regular poster who cannot stand him!) and I think he does add interest to the film, those few early scenes he's in.

really? Wonder who that could be...hee hee.

I recently caught The Pawnbroker on TCM, which is a film everyone tells me I need to see when I mention that I don't like Steiger. I have to admit that- while I was seriously underwhelmed by the film itself- Steiger does give a stunningly subtle and (for the most part) restrained characterization- but, of course, being STEIGER! he just has to have a few BIG scenes with lots of ACTING! near the end...nonetheless, I think he was fine and it's the one time in his career where I think he deserved an Oscar nomination.

He, of course, did get nominated for Best Actor for The Pawnbroker the same year he did Zhivago (notably Omar Sharif did not) and was, of course, stunned that his one-two punch of Zhivago  and The Pawnbroker didn't deliver the Oscar he felt he so clearly and obviously deserved.

(for the record, I still prefer Lee Marvin.)

Hey, Lorna, how're you doing? Yup, 'twas thee I was thinking of.

I like Rod Steiger. I don't mind that he "acts big" at all. In fact, I'm often entertained by actors like him, who fill the screen with their presence and their "acting".

Do you remember, a year or two ago, I started a thread about "Ham Actors"?: This was because I often like them.

• Like 1

Rod Steiger's finest role, a truly great and sensitive performance (The Chosen):

Steiger.JPG

Rod Steiger campiest and most fun role (The Loved One):

1380679478_3.jpg

Hey, Lorna, how're you doing? Yup, 'twas thee I was thinking of.

I like Rod Steiger. I don't mind that he "acts big" at all. In fact, I'm often entertained by actors like him, who fill the screen with their presence and their "acting".

well, there's giving people their two bits worth and then there's trying to blow everyone else off the screen (or stage). Steiger is the latter.

I also have to note that it's not like it's a few films where Steiger is a total over the top, unbearable ham on rye- hold the rye- it's nearly every film I've seen him in, from The Big Knife to The Loved One to The Harder they Fall to some of his truly awful later films, he's always at an eleven.

I thought you might find this tidbit from wikipedia's page for The Pawnbroker intriguing:

Lumet, who took over the film after Arthur Hiller was fired, initially had misgivings about Steiger being cast in the lead role. He felt that Steiger "was a rather tasteless actor — awfully talented, but completely tasteless in his choices." Lumet preferred James Mason for the role, and comic Groucho Marx was among the actors who had wanted to play Nazerman.[4] However, Steiger pleasantly surprised Lumet when he agreed with him during rehearsals on the repression of the character's feelings. Lumet felt that ultimately Steiger "worked out fine."[7]

NipkowDisc, I haven't counted them, but this must be about the 10th time, if not more, that you've said in one way or another that you prefer the Rod Steiger character to just about anyone else in the film, and that you think Lara should have ended up with him.

I guess you're doing it repeatedly because as far as I can see, no one has as yet acknowledged this point you keep wanting to make.

So I will come to your aid and say, yes, the story would indeed have taken a very different turn if Lara had decided she wanted to stay with Komarovsky (Steiger?) instead of falling for Zhivago. 

Thank you! Well, she does. Imagine the ice between Lara and Komarovsky in that sled after they leave the ice palace. He read her like a book and she knew it.  :)

20shjkw.jpg

BasilBruce, on 17 Jul 2014 - 11:09 AM, said:snapback.png

It's Lara, for yefgraf's sake.  :D

Yep, ya see?! Even the RUSKIES don't use those dumb superfluous 'u's!!!

LOL

Rod Steiger's finest role, a truly great and sensitive performance (The Chosen):

Steiger.JPG

Sorry, but I felt Steiger was just Steiger in 'The Chosen'. No sensitivity - just the usual unsubtle stereotype of a stubborn, overbearing rabbi. I guess I could admit that Steiger was the perfect actor to play a part like that, but he brings nothing original to it. Same old, same old - and pretty boring for it.

Do you remember, a year or two ago, I started a thread about "Ham Actors"?: This was because I often like them.

I like Steiger too - sometimes. More often than not he overdoes it - hams it up, and I don't always appreciate it unless it's in the service of something satirical. But every now and then - as in Zhivago - he does a decent job of it. Seems like about two-thirds of the time you're gonna get too much from him and that prevents him from being considered truly great as an actor.

One movie I really wish TCM would show is 'The Sergeant' (1968). For whatever reason - it's been a long time - I felt he managed to portray that tragic, tormented character well. Some movies just seem to get lost after a while.

• Like 1

Another strange movie of Steiger's that doesn't get much play is 'Happy Birthday, Wanda June' (1971). I thought it was a pretty lousy movie except for the part played by William Hickey. Still, it's another rather lost film that I'd very much like a second chance to see.

Sorry, but I felt Steiger was just Steiger in 'The Chosen'. No sensitivity - just the usual unsubtle stereotype of an stubborn, overbearing rabbi. I guess I could admit that Steiger was the perfect actor to play a part like that, but he brings nothing original to it. Same old, same old - and pretty boring for it.

Actually I found it a restrained, beautiful performance. How many Chassidic rabbis have you come into contact with DB?

Thousands.

So dark, was that during the time you were doin' your act in the Catskills???

ba_dum_tsh.jpg

So dark, was that during the time you were doin' your act in the Catskills???

Oy vey, so many bad tippers!