Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Dr. Zhivago Haters Gather Here!

They originally wanted to film this in the Soviet Union but couldn't because the Soviets didn't want a movie made about how they treated the people.

Did the studio even bother asking? No Hollywood productions were made in the Soviet Union until The Blue Bird in 1976.

The good news is you got a piece of toilet paper, the bad news is you COULD NOT flush it down the toilet, lol. They had metals cans to put the used toilet paper in.

Please. TMI!!! (LOL)

Well, personally I think O'Toole would have been GREAT as a Russian, especially considering he was master as projecting that certain "haunted, faraway, pessimistic and fatalistic look" on his face.

(...and pretty much like Russians are anyway, RIGHT?!) ;)

What about Yul Brynner? I know he's a little on the exotic side, but he was (allegedly) Russian-born (although I seem to recall the specifics of his birth are in dispute.)

What about Yul Brynner? I know he's a little on the exotic side, but he was (allegedly) Russian-born (although I seem to recall the specifics of his birth are in dispute.)

Not soft enough to play Zhivago.

And things are still bad, just look at the recent Olympics, they only allowed people one piece of toilet paper when they used the bathrooms. Some things never change, lol.

Too much TP for my bunghole. :lol:

Gotta agree with dark here and when he said, "Not soft enough to play Zhivago."

BUT, speakin' of Yul and bein' Russian, one of MY favorite roles of his AND when he plays a Russian is in the movie THE JOURNEY(1959).

And you might know, he plays a Soviet Army Major in this one during the Russian invasion of Hungary of 1956. I think he's PERFECT in that role of a man holding a group of vacationers caught in that country during this revolt. Loved the way he portrays the character's internal conflict of attempting to balance his duty with his new-found infatuation with Deborah Kerr.

Gotta agree with dark here and when he said, "Not soft enough to play Zhivago."

Well kee-ripes then, how about Mr. Rogers? Or Peter Sellers doing his President Miffley (sp?) bit? No wait, I've got it: Leo Buscaglia, was he old enough when they did it?

Maybe part of the problem is they didn't make Zhivago tough enough...

I've got it:

Lee Marvin

IS

Yuri Zhivago in:

ZHIVAGO: FIRST BLOOD.

one man, one revolution.

(I'd go see it)

Well kee-ripes then, how about Mr. Rogers? Or Peter Sellers doing his President Miffley (sp?) bit? No wait, I've got it: Leo Buscaglia, was he old enough when they did it?

Maybe part of the problem is they didn't make Zhivago tough enough...

I've got it:

Lee Marvin

IS

Yuri Zhivago in:

ZHIVAGO: FIRST BLOOD.

one man, one revolution.

(I'd go see it)

That's a funny thought alright Lorna, but I got the impression that dark was actually attempting to say "passive" here, and can you imagine OR have you ever seen a movie in which Yul ever played a man who looked like he was going to "take it without dishing it back" somehow?

That's a funny thought alright Lorna, but I got the impression that dark was actually attempting to say "passive" here, and can you imagine OR have you ever seen a movie in which Yul ever played a man who looked like he was going to "take it without dishing it back" somehow?

Yeah, yeah, I guess you're right...I still say I'd rather see the Marvin version.

ps- James Mason? Too old?

Yeah, yeah, I guess you're right...I still say I'd rather see the Marvin version.

ps- James Mason? Too old?

Yeah, by '65, Mason pretty much was done playing the romantic lead...just in case you weren't kiddin' here. ;)

(..btw, gotta ask...have you ever caught "The Journey" when TCM has shown it, and if you have, what do you think of it?...I think it's an under-appreciated film)

(..btw, gotta ask...have you ever caught "The Journey" when TCM has shown it, and if you have, what do you think of it?...I think it's an under-appreciated film)

No, but as per your description I am most intrigued. I did not know that Brynner and Kerr were reteamed after The King and I, which is- I want to say- the only film of his that I have seen in its entirety....

edit- oops, I forgot I've seen all of  The Ten Commandments, in which he is perfect as Ramses.

Never made it all the way through Anastasia, I tried watching The Sound and the Fury, but it was too awful to finish, and I have always been intrigued by Westworld, but have never gotten the chance; and I have to admit I'm not terribly interested in seeing The Magnificent Seven- although I have heard the interesting tales of how he and Steve McQueen, um, did not get along.

I do remember those anti-smoking PSAs he did which were released after his death- "please, don't smoke." Very effective.

I think a Yul Brynner SOTM or SUTS day is called for...

tried watching The Sound and the Fury, but it was too awful to finish

I like that movie. Seen it about 4 times and never tire of Brynner's Creole-inflected performance as the department store clerk who is the only one with the strength of character to keep an old southern family from crumbling into nothingness.

I've read Faulkner's novel and feel that Yul did a great job with that character. It's possibly the most interesting role he ever had. And Joanne Woodward is terrific as the chafing-at-the-bit (soon to be a) woman, who still believes her long-gone mother is someone special.

This is one I could have cited in the 'movies that make you feel happy' thread, because it does have that affect on me at the end.

Wow, he never even had a SUTS day?! :o

always felt kinda sorry for ol' Ramses...

grows up in his father's shadow, jealous of his heroic brother turned rebel leader (w/mysterious super-powers), wife/sister hates him, son dies, army drowned....what a life!

ramses09.jpg

Wow, he never even had a SUTS day?! :o

always felt kinda sorry for ol' Ramses...

grows up in his father's shadow, jealous of his heroic brother turned rebel leader (w/mysterious super-powers), wife/sister hates him, son dies, army drowned....what a life!

ramses09.jpg

Yeah, he just couldnt catch a break in that film.............

• 6 months later...

I've resurrected this thread only to post a link to a song from the upcoming musical Dr. Zhivago, which opens on Broadway at the end of March.  I'm neither a fan nor a hater of the film; I could never quite get into it, much as I love epics. But check out the lyrics to this song. I foresee a Dr. Zhivago: The Musical haters thread later in the Spring, on some of the theater blogs!

"Now, I need to tell you now, 

I need to tell you how,

You're like a song,

I sing you all day long..."

http://www.doctorzhivagobroadway.com/about.html

I've resurrected this thread only to post a link to a song from the upcoming musical Dr. Zhivago,

I need to tell you how,

You're like a song,

You're putting me on. Did Richard Carpenter write the lyrics?

I've resurrected this thread only to post a link to a song from the upcoming musical Dr. Zhivago, which opens on Broadway at the end of March.  I'm neither a fan nor a hater of the film; I could never quite get into it, much as I love epics. But check out the lyrics to this song. I foresee a Dr. Zhivago: The Musical haters thread later in the Spring, on some of the theater blogs!

I need to tell you how,

You're like a song,

OMG!!! You are kidding me? Now it's a MUSICAL??? Good grief!! It must be stamped out!!!!!

I don't want to judge this too early but this sounds like the version the Soviet Union would have approved of, lol.

LOL. You'd think after the musical version of GWTW they'd leave movie epics alone.  What's next? Lawrence of Arabia???