Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
BasilBruce

Dr. Zhivago Haters Gather Here!

The musical version of Dr. Zhivago has opened on Broadway! Here's are quotes from a couple of the reviews, following by links to reviews:

"Broadway's “Doctor Zhivago” is an epic miss".

"The only problem is that the creators of this new musical forgot to include such minor details as compelling characters, thrilling drama or, you know, an inspiring score. At a time of heightened competition on Broadway, Doctor Zhivago is so dull, it may soon be Zhiva-gone."

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/22/theater/review-doctor-zhivago-the-broadway-musical.html

http://nypost.com/2015/04/21/epic-musical-doctor-zhivago-plays-like-third-rate-russian-take-on-les-miz/

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/theater-arts/doctor-zhivago-sings-love-war-broadway-article-1.2192052

• Like 2

The musical version of Dr. Zhivago has opened on Broadway! Here's are quotes from a couple of the reviews, following by links to reviews:

"Broadway's “Doctor Zhivago” is an epic miss".

"The only problem is that the creators of this new musical forgot to include such minor details as compelling characters, thrilling drama or, you know, an inspiring score. At a time of heightened competition on Broadway, Doctor Zhivago is so dull, it may soon be Zhiva-gone."

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/22/theater/review-doctor-zhivago-the-broadway-musical.html

http://nypost.com/2015/04/21/epic-musical-doctor-zhivago-plays-like-third-rate-russian-take-on-les-miz/

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/theater-arts/doctor-zhivago-sings-love-war-broadway-article-1.2192052

LOL. Should we be surprised? Thanks for the updates.

In the same vein, NBNW is on again tonight! :D

• Like 1

Will we soon see NORTH BY NORTHWEST THE MUSICAL?

It seems that the more we complain on these boards how much NBNW is shown, the more they show it. Maybe we should just keep quiet... Incidentally, what is the significance of Roger Thornhill always mentioning "Mother" to others? Is it funny that he is portrayed as a Mama's boy?

• Like 1

Here.  Here.  I think that I liked NBNW once upon a time.  But the frequency with which it is shown on TCM now causes the commencement of a dull headache when I see that it's on the schedule-AGAIN.  Frankly, I'm sick of it. 

Where, where???

Or should that be wear, wear?! 

(...doncha just love this crazy language?!) ;)

For many backers if a show flops, its a tax write off. So there wont be an original cast recording? :(

For many backers if a show flops, its a tax write off. So there wont be an original cast recording? :(

Sorry, Hibi, put probably not . . .

There was also no cast recording of the revival (with a new book by Peter Parnell)  of ON A CLEAR DAY YOU CAN SEE FOREVER starring Harry Connick Jr. as the psychiatrist.

Where is Max Bialystock when we need him?

I was waiting for Psycho: The Musical, anyway.

Congratulations to everyone for calling this, next up is a musical version of The Day The Clown Cried, lol.

I'm still waiting for a recording of Smile. I do have most of the songs on a Howard Ashman CD with just a piano........

Psycho? Who knows. Stranger things have happened. Maybe an opera version?

Which of course now begs the question...

Would perhaps have dropping into this failed Dr.Zhivago musical a little number titled "Springtime For Lenin" have saved it from this fate?

(...nah, probably not...Dick Shawn is long dead now, huh)

• Like 1

Never say never about musical adaptations.

SUNSET BOULEVARD is one of Andrew Lloyd Webber's best musicals and is probably my favorite Lloyd Webber musical.

I think I mentioned this on another thread with speed racer.

Mommie Dearest the Musical

• Like 1

I think I mentioned this on another thread with speed racer.

Mommie Dearest the Musical

If it's an Andrew Lloyd Webber musical Faye Dunaway would not be a part of it even if he asked her. 

Never say never about musical adaptations.

SUNSET BOULEVARD is one of Andrew Lloyd Webber's best musicals and is probably my favorite Lloyd Webber musical.

Last year, I saw Andrew Lloyd Webber's newest musical. It was a flop, and I loved it. It was called Stephen Ward. 

Last year, I saw Andrew Lloyd Webber's newest musical. It was a flop, and I loved it. It was called Stephen Ward. 

Yes, Andrew LLoyd Webber's musical about the Profumo scandal.

I've read some good things about the show. It's too bad that it wasn't able to find an audience.

OMG!!! Dr. Zhivago, the musical, has been recorded and will be released next month!!!

Sorry, Hibi, put probably not . . .

There was also no cast recording of the revival (with a new book by Peter Parnell)  of ON A CLEAR DAY YOU CAN SEE FOREVER starring Harry Connick Jr. as the psychiatrist.

LOL. But there will be! Out next month. :D

now this is eerie.

I was just seriously considering starting a thread called FROM HERE TO ETERNITY HATERS GATHER HERE.

and then I looked and saw where this one has risen from the grave.