Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Dr. Zhivago Haters Gather Here!

BasilBruce

FHTE is on right now...again.

at least NBNW has one compelling scene with an airplane.

(the attack on Pearl Harbor sequence is so boring in the movie.)

LOL. Yeah, I noticed that. Looks like Monty Clift day.........Another of the usual suspects.

I wanted to wait until I could be at my computer to post this, but I was watching the last ten minutes of FROM HERE TO ETERNITY as you and I were posting about it. 

SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS

(like it matters)

One particular thing that just EATS AT ME about the ending is Lancaster's line about Monty Clift's character to the Military Police after Clift has been shot by them for not stopping when ordered. 

I PARAPHRASE FROM MEMORY:

MP 1

"Why didn't he stop, Sir?"

LANCASTER'S CHARACTER

"He was hard-headed, as hard-headed a man as I ever met, but he was

the best soldier I ever met too."

YES, MP 1, Yes. WHY DIDN'T HE STOP? That, quite frankly, should have been the title of the movie, because I guarantee you it was the number one most asked question in the lobby of whatever theater was playing FHTE at back in 1953.  I found myself chanting it over and over like a Yogi trying to attain Nirvana the first several times I saw FHTE. WHY DIDN'T HE STOP? WHY DIDN'T HE STOP? WHY. DIDN'T. HE. STOP???!!!!

And frankly, there's no good GD reason as to why he didn't stop that satisfies me.

"He was hard-headed" doesn't hold water with me.

I'm hard-headed: I refuse to do online bill-paying because snail mail is how I've always done it. I don't check my voicemail because I don't like to: that is hard-headedness.

Ignoring orders from armed men with weapons pointed at you in the hours after a major terrorist attack is NOT HARD HEADED, IT IS IDIOCY.

I wanted to wait until I could be at my computer to post this, but I was watching the last ten minutes of FROM HERE TO ETERNITY as you and I were posting about it. 

SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS

(like it matters)

One particular thing that just EATS AT ME about the ending is Lancaster's line about Monty Clift's character to the Military Police after Clift has been shot by them for not stopping when ordered. 

I PARAPHRASE FROM MEMORY:

MP 1

"Why didn't he stop, Sir?"

LANCASTER'S CHARACTER

"He was hard-headed, as hard-headed a man as I ever met, but he was

the best soldier I ever met too."

YES, MP 1, Yes. WHY DIDN'T HE STOP? That, quite frankly, should have been the title of the movie, because I guarantee you it was the number one most asked question in the lobby of whatever theater was playing FHTE at back in 1953.  I found myself chanting it over and over like a Yogi trying to attain Nirvana the first several times I saw FHTE. WHY DIDN'T HE STOP? WHY DIDN'T HE STOP? WHY. DIDN'T. HE. STOP???!!!!

And frankly, there's no good GD reason as to why he didn't stop that satisfies me.

"He was hard-headed" doesn't hold water with me.

I'm hard-headed: I refuse to do online bill-paying because snail mail is how I've always done it. I don't check my voicemail because I don't like to: that is hard-headedness.

Ignoring orders from armed men with weapons pointed at you in the hours after a major terrorist attack is NOT HARD HEADED, IT IS IDIOCY.

HEY now, Lorna! Don't tell ME this!

Tell THIS to all the idiots who run from the police AND/OR resist arrest AND/OR fail to comply with the orders given by an ARMED and duly authorized Law Enforcement Officer out there TO THIS VERY DAY!!!

(..."terrorist attack" or NOT...yep, evidently there's even MORE idiots out there now than EVER!!!)

LOL

Oh and btw Lorna...I think FHTE is a great film, and basically because of its clear depiction of "grittiness in the ranks" and it's overall lack of sentimentality.

(...in other words, before THIS movie was made, I certainly can't think of all that many Hollywood films where the centerpiece hero who stands on principle and bucks the system, ends up "buying the farm"...can YOU???)

(...in other words, before THIS movie was made, I certainly can't think of all that many Hollywood films where the centerpiece hero who stands on principle and bucks the system, ends up "buying the farm"...can YOU???)

THE SET-UP (1949) comes to mind...And theres a few John Garfield films you could maybe qualify as such...hang on, lemme think on this....

PS: you do make a good point though.

edit- maybe BLACK FURY with Paul Muni and maybe some of the earlier films of Spencer Tracy and Burt Lancaster- but, yeah, I think you made a pretty valid point. There are not a lot of films where the good protagonist dies fighting a "legit" system.

ps- I still don't like it though.

The only way Dr. Zhivago might have had a happy ending is probably if they all fled the country successfully. Kind of like in The Sound Of Music.

I just couldn't see Yuri singing though as he crosses the Alps. He was more Rasputin than Captain Von Trapp.

The only way Dr. Zhivago might have had a happy ending is probably if they all fled the country successfully. Kind of like in The Sound Of Music.

I just couldn't see Yuri singing though as he crosses the Alps. He was more Rasputin than Captain Von Trapp.

Would think more the Carpathians or some such range than the Alps.....

• 2 months later...

HOMIGAH YOU GUYS...

IT'S COMING ON TONIGHT!!!!!!!

TIP: for an authentic ZHIVAGO experience, crank your A/C down as low as you can and crack open a can of beets.

I swear I can hear that damn Bailalinka thing already.

Nooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RIP Omar Sharif but noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We watched this for about the tenth time last night because my husband loves it -- or loves Julie Christie -- so it was a great relief to the pressure on my brain to come here and see this fine thread.  I read all ten pages while he sat enthralled.  Is it just my jealousy or does Julie Christie's lovely upper face turn into Sean Connery's mouth and jaw, just below the nose?  I'm much more of a Geraldine Chaplin type in looks and nature so I identify with her every time and end up hating Dr Z. by the end of the movie, even though his manner did seem like the poor man had taken a hard blow to the head.

I really didn't  like anything after Chaplin's pink travel outfit.

my internet went down last night after posting this (COINCIDENCE?....probably.)

sorry i couldn't liveblog the experience.

love the responses though.

ps- for the record, i had it on for about an hour while i did some household chores...you know, all the stuff you wait to do until the internet goes down. then i turned it off.

I still haven't seen it. I know it's on a lot but every time it comes on I think oh 3 hrs maybe next time.

I planned to record it Monday for Omar's tribute but forgot so another time it is again.

I also own the book but have not read it.

I still haven't seen it. I know it's on a lot but every time it comes on I think oh 3 hrs maybe next time.

I planned to record it Monday for Omar's tribute but forgot so another time it is again.

I also own the book but have not read it.

Not to worry! It'll be rebroadcast soon enough.

I just think poor confused lara shoulda appreciated her true knight in shining armor, kamerovsky, more than she did. :D

and I'll tell ya somethin' else...

just my opinion but rita tushingham's appearance (face) is an insult to julie christie's beauty.

doan mean to sound harsh but that's how I see it. :D

Is Komarovsky having an affair with Lara's mother at the beginning of this film??

Yes.  The 2002  mini-series of this with Kiera Knightly as Lara, makes it very clear that her mother has been his mistress for some time.  Lara deliberately steals him away and smirks at her mother as the two go out together.  I think I picked up some of my dislike for Lara from the mini-series.  I don't know which version is closest to the book.

Yes.  The 2002  mini-series of this with Kiera Knightly as Lara, makes it very clear that her mother has been his mistress for some time.  Lara deliberately steals him away and smirks at her mother as the two go out together.  I think I picked up some of my dislike for Lara from the mini-series.  I don't know which version is closest to the book.

Thank you for the information. I always thought so, but it is not made very clear.... only some slight hints.

Archived