Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

California: a world gone nuts?

NipkowDisc

Paranoia? No. Concern? Yes. Concern over a virulent hostility for the very judeo-christian underpinnings of western civilization. Standards which have endured for at least 500 years now. Moral decay is something to be avoided and not rushed torward at a breakneck speed.  :)

GEEEEZ is my Beach Boys take-off doomed or WHAT???!!! LOL

Look ND, I don't know about YOU, but I've seemed to have notice in my 62 years on this planet that the so-called "Religious" in this world are often even MORE inclined to "moral decay" than those who don't preach to others about how "righteous" their own lives are. 

Dargo,

May I please request an encore to your Beach Boys post? Half joking, half-serious. I believe it got upstaged by the digression (if I can call it that without being accused of being indifferent to inalienable rights.) Seriously, your post seems so long ago and I am too lazy to go back and find it. You are attached to that post and probably for good reason. I think an encore would be appropriate and you can do it because it was requested by another poster ... Admittedly, if I had some gumption I could go back find it and then quote it, but that wouldn't be the same, an encore presentation would be so much better. If you choose not to do this, that's okay, I may conquer my laziness, go back and have a look. I love satire and the like. Any Beach Boys would certainly be germane to California although I might not get it. It's not my foremost favorite genre in music, but of course I remember those guys ...

:)

Dargo,

May I please request an encore to your Beach Boys post? Half joking, half-serious. I believe it got upstaged by the digression (if I can call it that without being accused of being indifferent to inalienable rights.) Seriously, your post seems so long ago and I am too lazy to go back and find it. You are attached to that post and probably for good reason. I think an encore would be appropriate and you can do it because it was requested by another poster ... Admittedly, if I had some gumption I could go back find it and then quote it, but that wouldn't be the same, an encore presentation would be so much better. If you choose not to do this, that's okay, I may conquer my laziness, go back and have a look. I love satire and the like. Any Beach Boys would certainly be germane to California although I might not get it. It's not my foremost favorite genre in music, but of course I remember those guys ...

Sure, whatever ya say, laffite...though of course not only was my original post offered up somewhat tongue-in-cheek and in rebutal to the seemingly never ending thought made by some Easterners that "California us full of nothing but loonies", but that the reason for my continual stating of my potential regret at having it and this whole thread deleted is more of the idea that I'm trying to get the responders in this thread to get off the two subjects which might entice our resident Admin TO delete this thread.

And so without further ado, here was that post of mine...

Hmmmmmm....

The East Coast snobs are grating,

I really never cared for them

And the Southern folks and with the way they talk,

often make me think they're dim

The Midwest folks can sometimes be,

as boring as their states are flat

And the Northern folks who freeze their a$$es off

every winter, how about that

I wish they all could be California,

I wish they all could be California,

I wish they all could be California-like

(...any questions, ND?) ;)

LOL

(...OH, and in case you might be wonderin' here, the primary reason I retired to Sedona AZ is 'cause, THERE'S WAY TOO MANY FREAKIN' PEOPLE THERE NOW WHO MOVED INTO MY BEAUTIFUL OLD HOME STATE!!!)

Okay, gotcha ...

Had to go back anyway to get some context on this. I see, a sort of defense of California, or at least a return dig. Not bad, Dargo ...

Can someone tell me the movie and actors in the picture in opening post? I've seen that movie in the last year or two but I can't remember anything. I wasn't familiar with the actor shown but remembering thinking he was really good. Both in fact, she had a small part. There was another set of actors who were the leads, correct?

But in all fairness, and in keeping with the general understanding of "church" from the day and age the Constitution was written.. I am certain that the "Christian" faith in particular was definitely in the minds of many (if not most) of the founders when they used the term Church. However.. they did not so define it that way in their wording.. again, I believe in the interest of insuring the freedom for people to worship (or NOT worship) as they felt led (rather than as dictated by the government) 

I have read extensively on American History in recent years and in particular the underpinnings of the U. S. Constitution as part of my required education.

It is my understanding that the Founding Fathers were insistent on separation of Church and State because of the great power which the government wields in a theocracy. They knew from history that cojoining inevitably leads to totalitarianism. A stand against abuse by government will gather little support when those taking action are labeled both criminal and heretic. They knew also that governments can be undermined by foreign powers such as England in Medieval Era when France was the home of the Pope and the Pope selected the leaders of the church in England and the King of England dared not take action which would offend them under threat of excommunication and church-sponsored rebellion. Several Founding Fathers wrote of these fears.

Churches have historically been a haven for those fighting government oppression when those churches are not a part of the government. The emperors of Rome were right in fearing Christianity as it formed a nucleus of thought which they could not control as they controlled the rites and worship of the established pantheon.

I believe that it is unfortunate that the Founding Fathers did not foresee that atheism would transform from idiosyncratic beliefs into an established movement and so did not insert wording to prevent it becoming a government-supported religion as it is today. 

Well here is a story about CA burglar;   Yesterday a man goes to an El Pollo Loco for lunch.   The manager there recognized him because he was wearing the same clothes he had on when,  the night before,  he entered the place by the drive-through window and ransacked it.   Security cameras recorded him wearing a green T-Shirt and a hat emblazoned with a neon-pink face.    

Man, at least get a different hat!  

Can someone tell me the movie and actors in the picture in opening post? I've seen that movie in the last year or two but I can't remember anything. I wasn't familiar with the actor shown but remembering thinking he was really good. Both in fact, she had a small part. There was another set of actors who were the leads, correct?

That is Dick Shawn, not sure about the girl's name. The photo is probably from It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad, World. (I hope I got the number of Mads correct.)

Is this nuts or what? Sanity gone fishin'...and the result is nutsville. Only in California? Maybe not but it's sure a great place to start.  

I have heard that some consider it a model of efficiency to site all the nuts in one place. It is said that God knows of this and that it is St. Andrews's fault.

That is Dick Shawn, not sure about the girl's name. The photo is probably from It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad, World. (I hope I got the number of Mads correct.)

The girl is Barrie Chase.

What is worrisome in a true theocracy is not so much the power wielded by

a government but the power wielded by the religious figures over government.

That's what a theocracy is. 

A theocracy is when the government leaders are also the religious leaders. 

The Pope was in France only for a relatively brief period of time and no doubt

had to play along with the French. 

I wrote of matters which several Founding Fathers cited in their correspondence as examples of religion dominating civil government which is a thing which they wished to avoid happening here.

Atheism has always had a very small number of adherents in the U.S., and that

is not likely to change. As far as I know, atheism is neither supported by the

government nor is it a religion.

2012 WIN/GIA statistics show that five percent of people in United States are: "convinced atheist" which is significant rise over 2005 statistics.

Atheism is supported now by government in the shape of rising number of laws removing all references to God from education, ordinances and government proceedings. This can not be properly termed: separation of church and state as the type of references now banned date to the founding of the country and had the approval of those who wrote the U. S. Constitution and of the courts prior to the middle of the Twentieth Century. 

Atheism fulfills all requisites of the definition of an nontheistic religion.

I did not know Dick Shawn when I saw this movie about a year ago (first time in many years). The scene that was shown in the cap really bowled me over, I think this guy must be some sort of genius, the way he danced around and then later his comic acting. What a talent! The girl wasn't bad either in that scene (thanks, nipkowdisc). It was neat to see that screen cap, it took a minute to realize that it was familiar, but I couldn't remember where, when, or who. I just remembered that they were damn good. Thanks, Rich, and BTW you're good in the Mad Department, there are four.

I did not know Dick Shawn when I saw this movie about a year ago (first time in many years). The scene that was shown in the cap really bowled me over, I think this guy must be some sort of genius, the way he danced around and then later his comic acting. What a talent! The girl wasn't bad either in that scene (thanks, nipkowdisc). It was neat to see that screen cap, it took a minute to realize that it was familiar, but I couldn't remember where, when, or who. I just remembered that they were damn good. Thanks, Rich, and BTW you're good in the Mad Department, there are four.

I always thought of Dick Shawn as a comedy genius. If you had ever seen him on Carson's show or any of the other talk shows before his extremely untimely death, he would have later reminded you of Robin Williams and his brand of rapid-fire stream-of-consciousness routine.

In fact, I once remember Shawn getting SO out-of-hand on the Carson show that he flipped Johnny's desk on its side, hopped into it, and started making paddling motions like it was a canoe.

(...I can't remember if Johnny was amused or not)

A theocracy is when the government leaders are also the religious leaders. 

I wrote of matters which several Founding Fathers cited in their correspondence as examples of religion dominating civil government which is a thing which they wished to avoid happening here.

2012 WIN/GIA statistics show that five percent of people in United States are: "convinced atheist" which is significant rise over 2005 statistics.

Atheism is supported now by government in the shape of rising number of laws removing all references to God from education, ordinances and government proceedings. This can not be properly termed: separation of church and state as the type of references now banned date to the founding of the country and had the approval of those who wrote the U. S. Constitution and of the courts prior to the middle of the Twentieth Century. 

Atheism fulfills all requisites of the definition of an nontheistic religion.

Most of the younger US demographic these days behave like they don't believe in anything no how let alone any deity (Bacchus maybe  :) ) so what's the prob? 

Most of the younger US demographic these days behave like they don't believe in anything no how let alone any deity (Bacchus maybe  :) ) so what's the prob? 

On the CONTRARY, ND! I believe we older Americans have done an absolutely FANTASTIC  job of instilling within the younger generations that most CHERISHED of American "belief systems"!!!

(...yep, in the "Almighty Dollar", of course)

I always thought of Dick Shawn as a comedy genius. If you had ever seen him on Carson's show or any of the other talk shows before his extremely untimely death, he would have later reminded you of Robin Williams and his brand of rapid-fire stream-of-consciousness routine.

In fact, I once remember Shawn getting SO out-of-hand on the Carson show that he flipped Johnny's desk on its side, hopped into it, and started making paddling motions like it was a canoe.

(...I can't remember if Johnny was amused or not)

He was brilliant.  And such a strange death performing onstage.  

I define religion as a set of beliefs that includes a supernatural element of some kind. 

I am sorry to have to inform you that your definition is not in accord with leading anthropologists, sociologists, philosophers, etymologists, social theorists and a wide variety of other scholars. 

I am sorry to have to inform you that your definition is not in accord with leading anthropologists, sociologists, philosophers, etymologists, social theorists and a wide variety of other scholars. 

Maybe it's a good idea to leave this question to the anthropologists, sociologists, philosophers, etymologists, social theorists, (how about political scientists, they should know a thing or two about this) and a wide variety of other scholars (even movie critics for all I care) and get back to the 'serious' business of nutty California, a dubious subject in its own right but perhaps a good deal less incendiary.

:P

PS ... okay, okay ... somewhat less incendiary.

Ah, California...where your get fined for watering your lawn, and NOT watering your lawn. And people have the cajones to mock New Jersey?

Dam right! I suppose that I shouldn't have singled out California. A-wholes who won't let a cable subscriber unsubscribe can be found everywhere. :D

As far as californians mocking new jersey...they're just jealous!  :lol:

Dam right! I suppose that I shouldn't have singled out California. A-wholes who won't let a cable subscriber unsubscribe can be found everywhere. :D

As far as californians mocking new jersey...they're just jealous!  :lol:

Good that you added that there smiley->   :lol: , ND.

'Cause the concept that ANY Californian would be "jealous of New Jersey", is probably THE funniest thing I've read in a long long time!

(...not that The Garden State doesn't have its charms of course, but when it will possess a city as beautiful as San Francisco, a coastline as strikingly diverse as the sandy year-round sunlight beaches of Santa Monica to the grandeur of Big Sur and/or a place as wondrous as Yosemite, THEN we'll talk, duuuuuuuude!) LOL

To make that information credible it would be necessary to make a

number of unusual assumptions: that one individual is knowledgable

about what the leading scholars in a number of disciplines say about

the definition, that there is agreement across these disciplines about

the definition of religion, and that the leading persons in these disciplines

are in agreement about the definition. Those conditions seem very

unlikely, so I don't consider the proposition to be very likely. So I have

no trouble retaining my definition, not only because I have no reason

not to think that there is as much of a chance that these scholars agree with

my basic definition as they disagree with it, but also because it is a

very common definition that would be understandable to most people

when the word religion is used.

Yeah, yeah...but what about them Dodgers?! ;)

dvdmoontide01.jpg

I was watching this movie earlier this evening and coming across this and having it come to mind that someone has been conscientious enough to launch a California-bashing thread, I thought to post this as something passably interesting. I'm hoping the penalty for attempting suicide is not the death penalty, hee hee (I know, I know ... bad ...so bad in fact that I think a few of those Beavis and Butthead grunts of derision might be in order, to wit, hink hink hink hink). I did a cursory search and have found that attempting suicide in the State of California is no longer a crime, nor is it a crime in any other State either, doing damage to the premise of this thread that California might possibly be any more nutso (at least on this issue) than any other State in the Union. It was interesting to run across this because I actually wasn't sure whether or not it was or was not a crime, but I seemed to be pretty sure that it wasn't. It simply sounds too medieval to be true in our modern age. I would tell you the name of the above movie but I don't want to go wildly off topic in talking about a movie down here in Chit Chat Land. I've already stepped over the line by asking about Dick Shawn (a worthy exception) but I don't want to press my luck, ha. Some of you experts out there (IMO all of you) might be able to tell. Hint: That's sweet Ida in the arms of another woman below and that's Jean Gabin on the right standing (in an English speaking role).

Archived