Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Fox tried to buy Time Warner -- and HBO -- for $80 billion

MovieMadness

If I am reading this right, it looks like Fox would have acquired TCM in the deal.

Time Warner Inc. (NYSE:TWX) today confirmed that it rejected a proposal from Twenty-First Century Fox (NASDAQ:FOXA) to acquire all of the outstanding shares of the Company for a combination of 1.531 of Twenty-First Century Fox Class A non-voting common shares and $32.42 in cash per share (the " Proposal").

If I am reading this right, it looks like Fox would have acquired TCM in the deal.

Time Warner Inc. (NYSE:TWX) today confirmed that it rejected a proposal from Twenty-First Century Fox (NASDAQ:FOXA) to acquire all of the outstanding shares of the Company for a combination of 1.531 of Twenty-First Century Fox Class A non-voting common shares and $32.42 in cash per share (the " Proposal").

So, what would that mean to tcm?

I saw that on "Varney & Co." From the way it sounded, Rupert Murdoch will likely make another bid. This could be either good or bad. Good, because this would add 20th Century Fox films to those controlled by Time-Warner. Bad, because look what happened to the Fox Movie Channel. I would hate to see that happen to TCM, though it is unlikely.

I also think it would be horrendous to this channel. I don't want to scare anyone but new management would take over and look at FMC and the reruns they have. People think some movies are played too much now? Lol.

Maybe the new TCM is commercial free only from midnight to noon and that is only when they run classic movies. The other 12 hours have commercials  with recent "pretend classic" movies like Harry Potter and Transformers. Fox is all about the dollar signs and this station I gather would have to tow the line and go along.

Maybe tcm would hafta show more John Wayne movies.  :D

LOL

Yeah, and once he gains control of this baby around here, MY guess is he'll have 'em show "Big Jim McLain" first thing!!! LOL

(...AND with commercial interruptions, of course....gotta make that money, ya know!) 

80 BILLION??? with a B??!! :o

man... all of TW and Fox together are not worth 8 bucks to me...

I mean what they do...

otherwise I am glad some people are employed there and put food on their families tables and send their kids thru college with their earned salaries.

but 80 billion? man... u.s dollar must have dropped a lot...

I have to grudgingly admit that Murdoch did not ruin The Wall Street Journal (as I expected he would) when he took that over. it certainly didn't get any better, but he didn't ruin it. My guess is that a Murdoch-controlled Time Warner would keep TCM about the same, figuring it has its own niche that differs from Fox Movie Channel. At least if the takeover happened, I'd wait a few months before I canceled the pricey Comcast tier that carries TCM around here.

Maybe tcm would hafta show more John Wayne movies.  :D

More likely we'd be getting more Mel Gibson, and lot of interviews with Ginger Rogers' mother. :angry:

Yeah...well...I'm tellin' ya RIGHT now, I'M drawin' the line when they replace Bob Osborne with that fat*** Karl Rove!!!

LOL

• Like 2

NEAL, ugh...

That's okay, General. We knew who you were talkin' about.

(...and btw...the only thing that film reminds ME of is how badly overt archetypes serve in pressing one's overly simplistic personal world view)

That's okay, General. We knew who you were talkin' about.

(...and btw...the only thing that film reminds ME of is how badly overt archetypes serve in pressing one's overly simplistic personal world view)

LOL, so true... Cooper was such a cad too. I love what Clara Bow said about him... 'Biggest **** in Hollywood but no **** to push it...' Apparently, Gary had MAJOR mommy issues even though he really got around... Grace Kelly when she was barely in her 20s and he in his 50s?! Ick...

LOL, so true... Cooper was such a cad too. I love what Clara Bow said about him... 'Biggest **** in Hollywood but no **** to push it...' Apparently, Gary had MAJOR mommy issues even though he really got around... Grace Kelly when she was barely in her 20s and he in his 50s?! Ick...

My, my... Filters.... Well, the first **** is another name for a rooster and the second **** is another name for donkey.... Must be more careful.

Rupert Murdoch has lined up one of the largest takeover loans ever written as the media mogul pushes forward with his $73bn bid to bring together his own 21st Century Fox with rival television and entertainment group Time Warner.

Eeh! Now that I think about this, is this REALLY such a big deal here???

(...I mean, the AIRLINES have been merging since the Airline Deregulation Act of 1978, and just look at how "wonderful" air travel is NOW, huh?!)

LOL

Dargo usually when a company pays this much for such a large takeover they see ways to cut costs and raise profits. Microsoft is laying off 18,000 people after acquiring Nokia.

How can Fox raise profits with TCM?????????

Ummmm...I dunno. Wait! By maybe goin' the "AMC route"??? ;)

It's not just the movie library. It's HBO and all of its original series like The Sopranos, and it's TBS and TNT sports broadcasting rights like the NBA and the NCAA Tournament. TCM would be an afterthought, at best.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings