Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Jane Darwell Picture Question

rohanaka

At the behest of our dear pirate friend, Laffite.. I am trying to figure out where this picture of Jane Darwell may have originated from. I picked it for my avatar because it's just such a fun image of her. but I have looked at all the films from her filmography list that I can think of to figure out where it's from.. and none are ringing true for this picture.

BE004114.jpg

Here is a part of our conversation on it from another thread: 

Laffite said: I spent a good 30-45 minutes last night trying to uncover the mystery, no luck. I typed movies into the search engine sometimes with "images for ..." alongside, I put her name and then "images for ..." I came tantalizing close (or thought so) when your avatar picture came up. I clicked on it and it took me some sight where the picture had been posted but no commentary.

Rohanaka replied: Ha..evidently you and I have way too much time on our hands because I have tried that a couple of times myself. (hey! Inquiring minds wanna know, ha) :) I once even went through a whole list of "Real McCoy's" youtubes (the old TV series with Walter Brennan) because I saw somewhere in one of her filmography lists that she was on a couple of episodes, so I thought.. hmm.. maybe! (but no luck finding the right episodes on youtube, alas) ha.

You are right that she does look a bit  younger. My guess (based on how she looked in other films) would be late 30's or somewhere in the 40's. But to be honest.. she often played a lot of 'older grumpy-looking" characters.. ha. So it could be hard to set an age for her just on looks alone: Here is a pic of her in The Grapes of Wrath.. (1940) 

http://1.bp.blogspot...th-aintnofa.png 

And just one year later, she was made up to look older (at least she looks older to me), in The Devil and Daniel Webster (1941)

https://dcairns.file...png?w=300&h=225

So I don't know if it is pre-or post 1940,  but I do think it might be somewhere around the 40's.. she did have a lot of TV roles too.. but those came much later.. so I would think she'd be too young in the photo for it to be TV.. ha.. but I confess.. I am no expert (on age.. OR Jane Darwell's films/tv appearance)

Earlier in our chat.. he recommended i post the question here to see if anyone else might now. So upon Laffite's request.. I am handing the ball off to some of you. Anybody have a clue? Thanks for your help! :)

THANK you Mr. SCSU! Boy that was fast! I don't think I have ever posted a question out here in "INFO" land before, but golly.. you folks sure know your stuff. Thanks again, sir! I will have to check into that title.. that is not one I am familiar with for her. 

(Hey.. Laffite! Woo HOO! Mystery solved) 

Rich, you're a genius! I am curious to know how you arrived at a strategy? Ebay, no less? Fantastic! I will now sleep nights. Thanks so much.

And knowing Rohanaka, who in case you don't know, is hands down the most accomplished cyber cuisiniere in the history of the internet, knowing her expertise in these matters, I say, that she might just come through with some cyber culinary specialty treat for you, the hero of the day. I hope she doesn't mind if I put her on the spot in this way (actually, I wouldn't be surprised if she hasn't thought of this herself and is already in preparation mode) but really, Rich, you deserve something for this.

Well, my guess of 1930s was right, but I never really got close.

--

I started the same way you did, with a general search, ending up at the same site as you did where someone had posted the picture. Tried to follow through there, but learned nothing. Then I just decided to try e-bay, since they often have old photos.  I typed in "jane darwell" without any categories or restrictions, scrolled down to see what they had, and voila.  It wasn't that difficult.

• Like 1

I started the same way you did, with a general search, ending up at the same site as you did where someone had posted the picture. Tried to follow through there, but learned nothing. Then I just decided to try e-bay, since they often have old photos.  I typed in "jane darwell" without any categories or restrictions, scrolled down to see what they had, and voila.  It wasn't that difficult.

Well a genius and humble!    I would give you 200 views (or would you like 125 replies) for the service you performed here,  but something tells me your ego doesn't require that.   

• Like 1

I would give you 200 views (or would you like 125 replies) for the service you performed here,  but something tells me your ego doesn't require that.   

Actually, I want this to be the most viewed thread in the history of these boards. Jane Darwell beats Dame May Whitty any day.

Actually, I want this to be the most viewed thread in the history of these boards. Jane Darwell beats Dame May Whitty any day.

If folks would yield their search jobs to you, you might make it.

Don't say that second sentence too loud. I can see it now. NEWS: DARWELL MORE POPULAR THAN DAME MAY WHITTY, ROCK IS TOTALLY FORGOTTEN.

...according to the data base, of course

Jane Darwell beats Dame May Whitty any day

Oh now I am in a real quandary. ha. I love them both. Though I do confess, I probably have a bit more of a kinship with dear Janey for her "grumpy old gal" roles, ha. But that Dame May is alright with me too. :D

And PS: I never (ever) would have thought of ebay.. ha. I am no sort of internet shopper, so it would not have ever entered my mind to look there. What a stroke of genius! :)

As for the treats Laffite suggested..I am sure he gives my culinary skills far too much credit, but I DO agree. This calls for a celebration. Since its summertime.. how about a little frozen treat?  Ice cream for everybody!! 

icecream_zpse4425f51.jpg

Thanks again, Prof. SCSU. :)

Jane Darwell beats Dame May Whitty any day

Oh now I am in a real quandary. ha. I love them both. Though I do confess, I probably have a bit more of a kinship with dear Janey for her "grumpy old gal" roles, ha. But that Dame May is alright with me too. :D

And PS: I never (ever) would have thought of ebay.. ha. I am no sort of internet shopper, so it would not have ever entered my mind to look there. What a stroke of genius! :)

As for the treats Laffite suggested..I am sure he gives my culinary skills far too much credit, but I DO agree. This calls for a celebration. Since its summertime.. how about a little frozen treat?  Ice cream for everybody!! 

Thanks again, Prof. SCSU. :)

I'm also a big fan of both,  but can Dame May Whitty cook?     I know Jane likes to labor over a hot stove! 

Hmmm James, I don't know. I usually remember her for roles where she's too rich too cook so she pays OTHER people to cook for her. ha. That (aside from the grumpy old gal roles) is yet another reason why I probably feel a greater kinship with Jane.

Jane had more characters that came from less wealthy circumstances, so I don't think I could ever feel quite as close a sisterhood to all that money, ha.  (but I do so enjoy a good Dame May movie.. she was quite the "old gal' herself, to be sure) :)

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings