Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

TCM Programming

matey

I was watching today's programming since it is Barbara Stanwyck's birthday but am disappointed that all the movies of her they are showing are from 1950's!

While her best movies belong to 30s and 40s period

I mean best movies came from mid 30s to mid 40s (beside the silent/20's films like Chaplin or Keaton etc. era which were fantastic) the films made after 48-49 were mostly junk.

In the 50s they mostly glorified crimes and murder along with gangs and mobs street crimes etc...

in the 60's they glorified sex and so in the 70s +murder, & 80s ++murder and a lot more horror films and in 90s more of the same etc...

The good scripts were and are mostly thing of the past.(few 50s and 60s exceptions)

I wished the TCM programmers showed little more better taste in selecting movies.

why couldn't they show Meet John Doe or Stella Dallas or other fantastic Stanwyck movies?

PS I think it is a disgrace that she never won an Oscar for any or all her performances!

I was watching today's programming since it is Barbara Stanwyck's birthday but am disappointed that all the movies of her they are showing are from 1950's!

I mean best movies came from mid 30s to mid 40s (beside the silent/20's films like Chaplin or Keaton etc. era which were fantastic) the films made after 48-49 were mostly junk.

In the 50s they mostly glorified crimes and murder along with gangs and mobs street crimes etc...

in the 60's they glorified sex and so in the 70s +murder, & 80s ++murder and a lot more horror films and in 90s more of the same etc...

The good scripts were and are mostly thing of the past.(few 50s and 60s exceptions)

I wished the TCM programmers showed little more better taste in selecting movies.

why couldn't they show Meet John Doe or Stella Dallas or other fantastic Stanwyck movies?

PS I think it is a disgrace that she never won an Oscar for any or all her performances!

How do you feel about Pre-codes,  like Baby Face,  which includes a great Stanwyck performance?   Note that Pre-codes movies were very sexual and more realistic.   The Production Code took a lot of realism out of movies.  Of course some like their movies to be white-washed.

As for the 50's.  Well some of the best noirs were made during the 50's and the noir genre is well liked by most members of this forum.   Stanwyck starred in many fine 50's noirs.     Stanwyck most popular movie,  Double Indemnity,  a noir, is all about murder and sex and that was made in the mid-40's.

I do agree that TCM should have mixed it up more; e.g.  a movie from each decade.   This is a better way to showcase Stanwyck.  As for her never winning an Oscar;   I doubt anyone will disagree with that.   Along with E.G. Robinson,  Stanwyck deserved the award more so then anyone else.

• Like 3

6848389_112559450582.jpg

"I'm Joseph I. Breen, and I approve this message." B)

Well, on that I think we will all agree. :)

• Like 1

She looks like she'd rather be with the guys............

I think the guys are saying;  Why do our wives dress like old maids?    Really would you agree these gals are wearing some very bland dresses?     Where is Scarlet O'Hara to mix thing up?  

I think the guys are saying;  Why do are wifes dress like old maids?    Really would you agree these gals are wearing some very bland dresses?     Where is Scarlet O'Hara to mix thing up?  

Well, it looks like the 50's so..........

Dubious as I am that this virtually brand new poster isn't a creation of some longtime poster, I will play the game and pretend that "Matey" is unaware of the hundred billion times this topic has bandied about previously and say Matey, you ought to enjoy that THE BITTER TEA OF GENERAL YEN is airing tonight. However, you gotta sit through a movie from 1961 before it starts ....

Dubious as I am that this virtually brand new poster isn't a creation of some longtime poster, I will play the game and pretend that "Matey" is unaware of the hundred billion times this topic has bandied about previously and say Matey, you ought to enjoy that THE BITTER TEA OF GENERAL YEN is airing tonight. However, you gotta sit through a movie from 1961 before it starts ....

Well that is a pre-code and therefore more open about sexual issues so it might not be the type of movie they would enjoy.

But at least it isn't a dang color movie!   ;)  

She looks like she'd rather be with the guys............

I don't know... I don't think their outfits are that bad... except for the lady with the big black tie thing.  I could do without that.  I like Barbara's shiny blouse.  This doesn't appear to be the type of affair or at least the type of people where a slinky cocktail dress would be appropriate.  Maybe if this were a party in "The Thin Man," I would wonder what was up with the drab costumes.  This party on the whole looks rather dull, the men are off playing cards (presumably poker) and the women are dinking around setting the table? Maybe having tea?  I don't know.  I don't blame Barbara for looking bored.  I'd rather be with the men too.  No doubt they're having a much more interesting conversation.  However, it'd be best to float between both groups.  Get the good gossip from the women and then go over to the men's side to get the salacious details to accompany said gossip. 

I forgot that today was the Ginger Rogers/Barbara Stanwyck birthday tribute.  I clicked on the TV to see if there were any good Barbara Stanwyck movies to record and nothing caught my fancy.  I missed the Rogers tribute completely.  I'll just have to wait until Barbara's SUTS day in a few weeks.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings