Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Frequent collaborations (ones that do not seem obvious)

TopBilled

I was watching CRIME OF PASSION and TROOPER HOOK today on TCM. I noticed that Royal Dano is in both of those with Stanwyck, and he later did four episodes of her western series The Big Valley.

Then there's Glenn Ford and Edgar Buchanan. They did twelve films together between 1939 and 1965, and in the 70s, Ford picked Buchanan for a supporting role in his series Cade's County. They made 24 episodes of that.

Grant Withers was in nine John Wayne films.

Loretta Young made four films with Helen Westley. One for Zanuck's 20th Century Pictures, two at 20th Century Fox-- then when Loretta went to Columbia, she borrowed Westley from Warners for a plum supporting role in BEDTIME STORY.

Jane Withers did two films at Fox with Henry Wilcoxon. When she went to Republic, she was cast with him again.

What is the reason some of these people worked together often? Is it because these people were friends in real life, or because they had the same agent, or both?

Love the idea. For some reason what I thought of was director/actor collaborations.

I heard on the special features of DIAL M FOR MURDER (and might be remembering wrong, of course) that Hitchcock's most used actor was actually Brit John Williams.

John Ford is known for collaborating with Henry Fonda and the Duke, but he seemed to use the same character actors all the time: among others, Ben Johnson, Harry Carey Jr, Mildred Natwick, and especially Ward Bond come up a lot.

Love the idea. For some reason what I thought of was director/actor collaborations.

I heard on the special features of DIAL M FOR MURDER (and might be remembering wrong, of course) that Hitchcock's most used actor was actually Brit John Williams.

John Ford is known for collaborating with Henry Fonda and the Duke, but he seemed to use the same character actors all the time: among others, Ben Johnson, Harry Carey Jr, Mildred Natwick, and especially Ward Bond come up a lot.

Anna Lee is another one. She worked for Ford nine times (eight films and one television production).

I posted yesterday about Ford and Buchanan. I think they must have been life-long friends. They started out at Columbia, but even after Ford moved on to MGM, then eventually switched to television, Buchanan tagged along. If you watch their scenes together in their movies, you can tell that they have a warm respect for each other.  These are the kinds of collaborations I wish people spoke more about when discussing classic film.

Loretta Young and Helen Westley also have a warm mutual respect in their scenes, especially in WIFE, HUSBAND AND FRIEND as well as BEDTIME STORY.

That would be Leo G. Carroll who appeared in more Hitchcock films than any other actor.

I love Helen Westley (Henrietta Remsen Meserole Manney). She came from an old Brooklyn family. In fact, two Brooklyn streets (Remsen and Meserole) are named for her ancestors. I've never been much of a Loretta Young fan.

Beulah Bondi and James Stewart worked together often. She appeared on his AFI tribute as well.

Julie Adams and Ray Danton had an interesting work history. They were married from 1955-1978 (some sources say the marriage technically wasn't dissolved until 1981) and had two sons. But even after their separation, she would be cast on television shows he was directing.

They costarred in two features for Universal in the fifties; they costarred on five television shows between 1959 and 1971; he directed her in a horror feature in the mid-seventies; then he directed her in four television shows during the late seventies and early eighties.

Beulah Bondi and James Stewart worked together often. She appeared on his AFI tribute as well.

Yes. They made five films together, and she also played his mother on the short-lived Jimmy Stewart Show.

Speaking of Stewart, he did eight films with Harry Morgan.

IIRC it's John Williams if you count TV

Thanks for backing me up-- although Leo G Carroll was in 6 movies, and is another great contribution to this thread as far as frequent collaboration, John Williams was used in 14 titles, mostly in his TV shows. And actually I didn't realize Leo G Carroll was in so many Hitchcock films so, cool new fact I learned today.

Also Cagney and Pat O'Brien were in a lot of movies together, as well as those other great WB character actors like Frank McHugh.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings