Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Scarface

NipkowDisc

I hate this film and Pacino in it.  It's just so over-the-top that I find it annoying.  I'm a pretty big De Palma fan (not so much Pacino), but this one is just unwatchable, to me.  I do love De Palma/Pacino - CARLITO'S WAY, however.

• Like 1

I hate this film and Pacino in it.  It's just so over-the-top that I find it annoying.  I'm a pretty big De Palma fan (not so much Pacino), but this one is just unwatchable, to me.  I do love De Palma/Pacino - CARLITO'S WAY, however.

I agree with you about Carlito's Way, but if you think that Pacino is over the top in Scarface, what about Muni's performance in the original version?  It's not as if Muni was foreshadowing Marlon Brando's Don Corleone as the embodiment of softspoken mobsters. B)  My sense is that the role called for the sort of over the top character that both of these actors portrayed, and that they both did terrific jobs of it.

I agree with you about Carlito's Way, but if you think that Pacino is over the top in Scarface, what about Muni's performance in the original version?  It's not as if Muni was foreshadowing Marlon Brando's Don Corleone as the embodiment of softspoken mobsters. B)  My sense is that the role called for the sort of over the top character that both of these actors portrayed, and that they both did terrific jobs of it.

True.  I guess I just like Muni better than Pacino.  Pacino is such a ham, to me.  As for mush-mouth Brando, meh.

My sense is that the role called for the sort of over the top character that both of these actors portrayed, and that they both did terrific jobs of it.

True.  I guess I just like Muni better than Pacino.  Pacino is such a ham, to me.  As for mush-mouth Brando, meh.

I can see your take on Pacino, but in that regard Muni was the original Joseph Tura. ;)

I thought the big line was "Say hello to my little friend."  :)

(NSFW bad language in this clip)

Yeah, but the restaurant scene is hilarious also when he refuses to blow up a mother and her kids in a car, Tony blows the guy's brains out and then says "Look at you now!"  :lol: How can anyone not like this movie? Never mind good drama, Pacino is a laugh riot! :lol: It's a very gory exercise but Montana's antics make it a must-see. :D

Tomorrow nite the two versions of Scarface. Al Pacino just cracks me up as Tony Montana.  :lol:

"Say goodnite to the bad guy."

"There's a bad guy comin' thru!"

"Better get outta his way!"

s0woxl.jpg

And that scowl on Pacino's kisser throughout the film is priceless. :lol: 

What's the matter with you guys? This is one of Pacino's greatest performances. Pacino's Montana makes Steiger's Capone look like a sissy. :D  

1z54xs2.jpg

This is a powerful tour-de-force performance by Al Pacino without otherwise this film woulda been a complete dog...but Pacino makes it happen!...and how! 

What's the matter with you guys? This is one of Pacino's greatest performances. Pacino's Montana makes Steiger's Capone look like a sissy. :D  

I'll take De Niro's performance in THE UNTOUCHABLES over all of 'em.

Too bad Costner ruins the movie with his ridiculously unconvincing Ness.

HEY now, dark! Now how about leavin' poor ol' Kevin out o' this here?!

(...and who is the ONLY actor I've ever found that usually bores me MORE than Glenn Ford) 

Too bad Costner ruins the movie with his ridiculously unconvincing Ness.

Well of course. Costner can't act.  A bargain basement Mel Gibson is all he ever was...but Gibson loses points with me for being supremely dumb and not having the dialogue in his movies spoken in english.  :)

I think Al was channeling a street punk/gang member from Cuba. There is nothing 'classy' or 'cultured' to a thug made good (thus the banana colored caddie convertible in the film). So, in this regard, I think Al was pretty spot-on. It is a little long in parts IMO, with some subplots completely unnecessary (the thing with the sister and all the assassination intrigue). However, great time capsule of the Miami scene post refugee release (where Castro emptied his jails). My main question to TCM Is how can this movie be classified in the 'war' category?! Crime or drama for sure, but war?! Ugh....

I think Al was channeling a street punk/gang member from Cuba. There is nothing 'classy' or 'cultured' to a thug made good (thus the banana colored caddie convertible in the film). So, in this regard, I think Al was pretty spot-on. It is a little long in parts IMO, with some subplots completely unnecessary (the thing with the sister and all the assassination intrigue). However, great time capsule of the Miami scene post refugee release (where Castro emptied his jails). My main question to TCM Is how can this movie be classified in the 'war' category?! Crime or drama for sure, but war?! Ugh....

Yeah, I noticed that but hey, this is tcm. Whatever. :)

But that sister of his sure is hot.  :) There is no question that De Palma goes awry later on but Al Pacino is beautiful.

10nvx8j.jpg

My main question to TCM Is how can this movie be classified in the 'war' category?! Crime or drama for sure, but war?! Ugh....

I think TCM has a standing rule that ANY movie in which a character randomly fires off a Colt M16A1 equipped with a rocket launcher is automatically classified as a "War" movie, General Ripper sir.

(...be the weapon being discharged in the jungles of Vietnam OR within the confines of a mansion located in southern Florida!)

;)

• Like 1

I see your point about a 'sort of over the top character' as the reason we get over the top acting, and therefore each actor does well in the role since that was the intention of said role.    But I still don't like either version especially the Pacino one  (well, expect in a camp type way for the funny lines and campy killings).  

I do love Ann Dvorak as the sister and the scenes Muni and her are in.    

But that sister of his sure is hot.  :) There is no question that De Palma goes awry later on but Al Pacino is beautiful.

10nvx8j.jpg

Really?!! NO WAY.... Ugh... Mastrantonio looks like an ex so she makes my skin crawl. .45 minutes could have easily been dumped IMO.

I think TCM has a standing rule that ANY movie in which a character randomly fires off a Colt M16A1 equipped with a rocket launcher is automatically classified as a "War" movie, General Ripper.

(...be it in the jungles of Vietnam OR within the confines of a mansion located in southern Florida!)

;)

Being a vet, I'm a little partial to this category.

Being a vet, I'm a little partial to this category.

I know. I just couldn't resist, that's all...General, sir! ;)

(...btw...I gotta know...do you look ANYTHING like Sterling Hayden???) 

I know. I just couldn't resist, that's all...General, sir! ;)

(...btw...I gotta know...do you look ANYTHING like Sterling Hayden???) 

LOL... Yeah... I'm going gray and I only drink grain alcohol and rain water... Quit smoking long ago tho...

LOL... Yeah... I'm going gray and I only drink grain alcohol and rain water... Quit smoking long ago tho...

Yeah, I hear this contributes mightily to having much purer precious bodily fluids.

So keep up the good work, General.

(...oh, AND of course, and as always, stay away from that fluoridated water!) ;)

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings