Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

CLASSIC CARTOONS

MultiEye

Do you read Paleo-future & its related blogs? They post those retro-futuristic cartoons from time to time. It is fun to see how the future was imagined (sometimes presciently, sometimes hilariously off-the-mark) but while they may have predicted technological advances, they usually failed to anticipate social changes (as in demographic changes to the population, new roles for women, and so on).

• Like 1

This is one thread I'm definitely bookmarking, and a big tip 'o the hat to MultiEye.  Since TCM has had WB cartoon festivals in the past, I've always wondered why there haven't been any lately.  It's been a long time.

• Like 1

Here's a "blue" cartoon that I used to feature in  midnight shows on college campuses in the 70's, only it was under a different name, without titles, and with a much better soundtrack.  But it's still the same cartoon, and it's a hoot.  I bought my copy from a guy who worked (seriously) at a religious film service in Michigan. He had lent it to the AFI for a cartoon series, which is where I first saw it.

P.S. Disregard the title, which is totally misleading, in some sort of an attempt to make it into a political statement.  The name it's better known by is "P e c k e r  Island."  I later showed it along with Reefer Madness and Jack Webb's Red Nightmare as part of a "Sex, Drugs and Treason" package.  It was a lot of fun while it lasted. :)

Still MY favorite animated short of all time...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsSp4LK0tfA

(...HANSAN CHOP!!!)

One of my faves too.

Bug’s everlasting search for the perfect Pismo Beach vacation and leading them into a whole other place on the planet.

You got the Warner Brothers orchestra playing, “We’re in the Money” as Daffy ogles the loot. Perfect intro into the greediness that is Daffy. Bugs, of course, has no interest in the dough.

Favorite line:

Bugs: What’s wid you anyway?

Daffy: I can’t help it. I’m a greedy slob. It’s my hobby. Save me!!!”

• Like 1

The Road Runner/Coyote series is the best. I don't remember the title, but my all time fave scheme of the coyote's is when he dons a crash helmet with a pulley wheel on top. He is trying to balance himself precariously on a wire that runs from a precipice to the highway below. He turns himself upside down in order to get the pulley on the wire. The drums roll as he is attempting to balance himself. The drums rll again and again as he is trying to balance. All of a sudden, the wire breaks - BOING! - and you know whare he ends up.

But the epitome is the Acme Indostructo Steel Ball.

I vaguely remember this from my childhood, but only recently came across again. I laughed myself silly. This is one of those isolated incidents in the Looney Tunes library.

THE DOVER BOYS at Pimento University

I vaguely remember this from my childhood, but only recently came across again. I laughed myself silly. This is one of those isolated incidents in the Looney Tunes library.

THE DOVER BOYS at Pimento University

Yeah, I'd say that IS one of the more clever WB cartoons that didn't use any of the boys at Termite Terrace's stock "repertoire of players", Kay.

But tell me, is it only me or does "Dan Backslide" there bare JUST a little resemblance to William Powell??? 

dan-backslide.jpg

Yeah, I'd say that IS one of the more clever WB cartoons that didn't use any of the boys at Termite Terrace's stock "repertoire of players", Kay.

But tell me, is it only me or does "Dan Backslide" there bare JUST a little resemblance to William Powell??? 

Hah, now that you mention it, he does a little. But his complexion suggests Snidely Whiplash as a closer relation. Just what was it about evil that turns people green?

Hah, now that you mention it, he does a little. But his complexion suggests Snidely Whiplash as a closer relation. Just what was it about evil that turns people green?

Too bad Margaret Hamilton isn't around anymore to answer this question, huh! ;)

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings