Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Tonite at eight for your consideration

NipkowDisc

Yeah yeah, say what ya want about this film's often shown status and/or David Lean's penchant for big overblown spectacle later in his career, but personally I can NEVER get enough of the opening scene where O'Toole mounts that absolutely gorgeous (and now days a make and model highly sought after) Brough(pronounced "Bruff" btw) Superior SS100 motorcycle and rides away on it.

122-1107-01-o%2Blast-brough-superior-ss1

(...known as "The Rolls-Royce of Motorbikes" back then, btw)

Yeah yeah, say what ya want about this film's often shown status and/or David Lean's penchant for big overblown spectacle later in his career, but personally I can NEVER get enough of the opening scene where O'Toole mounts that absolutely gorgeous (and now days a make and model highly sought after) Brough(pronounced "Bruff" btw) Superior SS100 motorcycle and rides away on it.

How do you feel when Lawrence crashes that bike?    It is my understanding that this absolutely gorgeous bike looked like a pile of ,,,,    Oh wait,  why I'm I being so cruel!    ;)

A donorcycle by another name is still a.... donorcycle?! Hey, owned a couple of donorcycles myself but never harbored any illusions about the brevity of life while riding one (and this was WAY before the age of 'texting'... Oy Vey!).

This movie could have easily been cut down by 45 minutes IMO. I know TCM counts on it a lot, but this staple deserves a long break.

A donorcycle by another name is still a.... donorcycle?! Hey, owned a couple of donorcycles myself but never harbored any illusions about the brevity of life while riding one (and this was WAY before the age of 'texting'... Oy Vey!).

This movie could have easily been cut down by 45 minutes IMO. I know TCM counts on it a lot, but this staple deserves a long break.

Once motorcycling gets in your blood, and in my case after I purchased my first little Honda at age 15 back in '67, it never leaves, General. And yeah, I've always of course recognized the increased risks associated with this endeavor, and have been suddenly and unexpectedly reminded of 'em a few times while riding all these years, if ya know what I mean. This is one the reasons I think so many riders(and usually on Harleys) who ride around with just that idiotic little doo-rag on their skulls and sans a helmet are freakin' MORONS!!!

Maybe being born and bred in Greater L.A. and learning how to operate a vehicle upon the crowded roadways of that megalopolis has contributed to my developing that "extra sense" needed to survive riding these babies for so long.

(...knock on wood!) ;)

Once motorcycling gets in your blood, and in my case after I purchased my first little Honda at age 15 back n '67, it never leaves, General. And yeah, I've always of course recognized the increased risks associated with this endeavor, and have been suddenly and unexpectedly reminded of 'em a few times while riding all these years, if ya know what I mean.

Maybe being born and bred in Greater L.A. and learning how to operate a vehicle upon the crowded roadways of that megalopolis has contributed to my developing that "extra sense" needed to survive riding these babies for so long.

(...knock on wood!) ;)

My prayers are with you. I love the feeling of riding but only in controlled environments. Too many oblivious idiots on the road. Also, good friend of mine hit a deer. Some things can't be avoided, I know, but walking away from an encounter with a rutting buck alls best IMO. My friend always chided me about my paranoia... RIP Mike.

How do you feel when Lawrence crashes that bike?    It is my understanding that this absolutely gorgeous bike looked like a pile of ,,,,    Oh wait,  why I'm I being so cruel!    ;)

Sorry James, I didn't see your post earlier here.

Well, lets see. I guess I feel that Lawrence might have felt "invincible" just before he crashed that beautiful Brough Superior, as maybe he figured after bein' shot at by all those Turks during the war, nothin' was ever gonna get him.

(...and THAT'S very often the cardinal mistake many M/C riders will make just before their own "downfall")

He was wearing one.... Didn't help hitting a deer at 65 MPH.

Well, first GR, I'm sorry about your friend, and secondly, yes of course, wearing a helmet is still no guarantee of survival in a motorcycle crash.

All I can tell you here is that I remember like it was yesterday the time in '95 while riding my newly purchased Triumph motorcycle to work at LAX and when a kid suddenly pulled right out in front of me and when I flew over the hood of his car AND when my helmeted head bounced three times on the road surface, and when MY first reaction was to right myself, hobble over to the kid's driver's side window and read him the riot act about his lack of attentiveness behind the wheel.

(...I STILL think I probably wouldn't be around here today in order to bug all the idiots who don't wear helmets IF I hadn't been wearing one that day!)