Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Ron Ely

NipkowDisc

The best actor ever to play Tarzan. Before Revenge of the Creature tonite at ten on Me-TV I'm gonna be watching "Expecting Amish" on Lifetime just to see Ron Ely who plays an amish elder. The first acting the great Ron Ely has done in quite a spell, like thirteen years. Ron's fight scenes as Tarzan on NBC 45+ years ago were imo better than Shatner's were on Star Trek. 

j7spwi.jpg

The best actor ever to play Tarzan. Before Revenge of the Creature tonite at ten on Me-TV I'm gonna be watching "Expecting Amish" on Lifetime movie network just to see Ron Ely who plays an amish elder. The first acting the great Ron Ely has done in quite a spell, like thirteen years. Ron's fight scenes as Tarzan on NBC 45+ years ago were imo better than Shatner's were on Star Trek. 

You think Ron Ely is a better actor than Christopher Lambert? Was a better Tarzan than Lambert too? I was kind of partial to Lex Barker...

You think Ron Ely is a better actor than Christopher Lambert? Was a better Tarzan than Lambert too? I was kind of partial to Lex Barker...

Well film-wise Gordon Scott was the best Tarzan but, yeah, I'd say that Ely was the best Tarzan dramatically-speaking. Would you like to compare Chris Pine to William Shatner as Capt. Kirk? :lol:

25f0chx.jpg

Well film-wise Gordon Scott was the best Tarzan but, yeah, I'd say that Ely was the best Tarzan dramatically-speaking. Would you like to compare Chris Pine to William Shatner as Capt. Kirk? :lol:

I would if I've seen Chris Pine's version. I don't go to the theater any longer. Too many gun wielding maniacs (sitting next to me) and the theater trying to shatter my teeth with sound not cool... I'll wait till it comes on TCM.

I would if I've seen Chris Pine's version. I don't go to the theater any longer. Too many gun wielding maniacs (sitting next to me) and the theater trying to shatter my teeth with sound not cool... I'll wait till it comes on TCM.

Well, I haven't seen either of the two JJ Abrams films either. Star Trek is suppose to be Star Trek, not teenage starship troopers.  I guess I'm one of those Trekker purists. :)

Well, I haven't seen either of the two JJ Abrams films either. Star Trek is suppose to be Star Trek, not teenage starship troopers.  I guess I'm one of those Trekker purists. :)

Me too... The original series will stay unspoiled in my mind for a very long time. I've only seen Wrath of Khan from the movies because it was a basic continuation of a TV episode plot.

Although he was a bit long in the tooth when he played Tarzan, Jock Mahoney was a more interesting actor than Ely, who did little more than grin a lot.

I thought Jock Mahoney was good as Tarzan too...until he got sick. I always kinda wished he'd had stuck it out a bit longer as the ape man. What I like about both Mahoney and Ely's interpretation of Tarzan is that their personas were intelligent and low-key.

1qk1t4.jpg

When I was a kid, Johnny Weissmuller was far and away the best Tarzan actor.  But I realized Weissmuller did not portray Tarzan as I knew the character from the books.  There's a world of difference.   But Weissmuller at least fulfilled my image of Tarzan.  As I matured, (I'm not sure just when that was, if ever), I realized no actor has yet portrayed this character as he was created.  I've become somewhat of a purist and can easily pick apart every single actor who has played Tarzan on screen.  

If I was the casting director for the new Tarzan movie due out in July 2016, I would look for an actor who stands 6'-4", has facial features like Johnny Weissmuller and a physique like Charles Bronson.  

In the 1980s I wouid have chosen Dolph Lungren and dyed his hair black.

When I was a kid, Johnny Weissmuller was far and away the best Tarzan actor.  But I realized Weissmuller did not portray Tarzan as I knew the character from the books.  There's a world of difference.   But Weissmuller at least fulfilled my image of Tarzan.  As I matured, (I'm not sure just when that was, if ever), I realized no actor has yet portrayed this character as he was created.  I've become somewhat of a purist and can easily pick apart every single actor who has played Tarzan on screen.  

If I was the casting director for the new Tarzan movie due out in July 2016, I would look for an actor who stands 6'-4", has facial features like Johnny Weissmuller and a physique like Charles Bronson.  

In the 1980s I wouid have chosen Dolph Lungren and dyed his hair black.

Sounds about right.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings