Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Other than a scattering of  Maverick episodes and a few of his movies (The Children's Hour and Mister Buddwing), I haven't seen enough of Garner to offer much of an opinion of him, except to say that he reminded me of what Gary Cooper might have been like before his lobotomy.  Garner never took himself too seriously, and IMO that's half the game right there, and it's probably why I remember him with such a great deal of fondness.

Y'know, this just s u c k s!  Bad enough I had another TIA incident and spent four more days in the hospital( got out yesterday afternoon). but also, when I first got to my room and activated the TV, I watched some news( on every station it seemed) about the plane tragedy, but for about 20 seconds or so in the middle of one of the "reports", NBC was kind enough to bum me out with the news of JOHNNY WINTER'S death.  Winter was just about my favorite blues singer and guitarist.  Made the hospital stay that much more depressing.

And now, JAMES GARNER.  Because as a kid I hardly missed an episode of MAVERICK, I grew to be a huge Garner fan.  Loved him in almost everything he did.  My wife, who I'm not sure knows he died yet, will be bummed.  She thought he was sooooo handsome, and also was a big fan. 

So, with the strokes and Johnny and Jim's deaths it's safe for me to say......Worst summer EVER!!!

Sepiatone

Now's a better time than ever to play the blues

Johnny Winter  RIP

4d8a5fa388629.preview-300.jpg.

Such a sad loss. Seriously one of my favorite actors of all time. Loved his attitude of being the tough guy who doesn't have to prove anything. We'll miss you, Jim.

tumblr_lnq49eePIs1qfdr0o.jpg

Probably my favorite James Garner character here.

Goodbye distant cousin from Oklahoma (on my Father's side -- He lasted until 86 too.)

Although I never got meet you in person, I have warm thoughts toward you, Jim Garner.

Few could handle Stardom as gracefully as you have.

He was a distant cousin of mine as well...(on my paternal grandmother's side)...family origins aside, he was one of my dad's all time favs, and I loved him too.

TCM has posted information about a James Garner 24-hour tribute beginning Monday, July 28th. There are a few surprises in the roster of films, but here goes. All times are Eastern:

6:00 AM Toward the Unknown (1956).

8:00 AM Shoot-out at Medicine Bend (1957).

9:30 AM Grand Prix (1966).

12:30 PM Cash McCall (1960).

2:15 PM The Wheeler Dealers (1963).

4:00 PM Darby's Rangers (1958).

6:15 PM Mister Buddwing (1966).

8:00 PM The Thrill of it All (1963).

10:00 PM The Americanization of Emily (1964).

12:00 AM The Children's Hour (1961).

2:00 AM Victor/Victoria (1982).

4:30 AM Marlowe (1969).

• Like 2

Garner hated Mr. Buddwing  and A Man Called Sledge.  I've not seen the first but thought the second  not as bad as he did so I'll watch to see if I agree.  Most of the rest I've seen but want to again.  

They should have included his Private Screenings interview which was one of the best and most enjoyable.  My only complaint was that it ended too soon so I was delighted when he broke down and wrote his book.  That, too, was a treat.

Reading one of the pieces on him online I discovered that Richard/Dickie Jones and Rosemary Murphy also left us this month.  He was Jefferson Smith's page in Mr. Smith Goes to Washington and the TV show Buffalo Bill, Jr. and she was allover TV in the 70's and 80's as well as the vicious and crooked roadhouse owner in Walking Tall.  This is going to be a long remembrance come December.

a James Garner 24-hour tribute beginning Monday, June 28th.

At least they aren't including Alias Jesse James, which they once showed as part of a Garner SUTS on the grounds that he had a brief cameo as Maverick in the famous cowboy star climax. That "had" can be taken more than one way -- in all currently available prints (including the one shown on TCM) Garner's cameo (along with that of Gene Autry) has been removed, presumably for rights reasons. So they showed a film for SUTS in which the star did not appear.

They should have included his Private Screenings interview which was one of the best and most enjoyable.  My only complaint was that it ended too soon so I was delighted when he broke down and wrote his book.  That, too, was a treat.

Reading one of the pieces on him online I discovered that Richard/Dickie Jones and Rosemary Murphy also left us this month.  He was Jefferson Smith's page in Mr. Smith Goes to Washington and the TV show Buffalo Bill, Jr. and she was allover TV in the 70's and 80's as well as the vicious and crooked roadhouse owner in Walking Tall.  This is going to be a long remembrance come December.

Totally agree with you about the "Private Screenings" omission. It was a delight to watch, and I seem to remember that Robert Osborne thanked Garner for the opportunity because he wasn't always so keen about talking about his career.

By the way, Dickie Jones was the voice of Walt Disney's Pinocchio.

Garner hated Mr. Buddwing  and A Man Called Sledge.  I've not seen the first but thought the second  not as bad as he did so I'll watch to see if I agree. 

In interviews he referred to it as A Man Called Sludge, and called it "one of those movies where Dino De Laurentiis promises you everything and gives you nothing".

Garner also hated The Fan (in which he played a small role as a favor to Lauren Bacall) and The Pink Jungle, a glorified TV episode shot on the Universal backlot. Anyone here seen this besides me?

They should have included his Private Screenings interview which was one of the best and most enjoyable. 

Agreed

At least they aren't including Alias Jesse James, which they once showed as part of a Garner SUTS on the grounds that he had a brief cameo as Maverick in the famous cowboy star climax. That "had" can be taken more than one way -- in all currently available prints (including the one shown on TCM) Garner's cameo (along with that of Gene Autry) has been removed, presumably for rights reasons. So they showed a film for SUTS in which the star did not appear.

How awful! But if they had run a version with Garner in it, you would have missed him if you blinked!

TCM has posted information about a James Garner 24-hour tribute beginning Monday, June 28th. There are a few surprises in the roster of films, but here goes. All times are Eastern:

Check your typo....Garner Tribute is Monday, July 28th..week from today.

TCM has posted information about a James Garner 24-hour tribute beginning Monday, June 28th. There are a few surprises in the roster of films, but here goes. All times are Eastern:

Check your typo....Garner Tribute is Monday, July 28th..week from today.

Thanks! I fixed it! My apologies to any of you who thought you had already missed it.

TCM has posted information about a James Garner 24-hour tribute beginning Monday, July 28th. There are a few surprises in the roster of films, but here goes. All times are Eastern:

6:00 AM Toward the Unknown (1956).
8:00 AM Shoot-out at Medicine Bend (1957).
9:30 AM Grand Prix (1966).
12:30 PM Cash McCall (1960).
2:15 PM The Wheeler Dealers (1963).
4:00 PM Darby's Rangers (1958).
6:15 PM Mister Buddwing (1966).
8:00 PM The Thrill of it All (1963).
10:00 PM The Americanization of Emily (1964).
12:00 AM The Children's Hour (1961).
2:00 AM Victor/Victoria (1982).
4:30 AM Marlowe (1969).

I've never seen MARLOWE.

I'm looking forward to this one. 

It features Bruce Lee in his first movie role.

There is now a TCM Remembers tribute to James Garner playing on the channel.

I appreciate the channel for doing this, of course. I'm just so sorry that it was necessary.

I like Mister Buddwing but it shoulda been a lot better. Garner's persona in that is almost David Janssen Fugitive-ish-like. Guess that's why I like it.

Here's a quote from James Garner's autobiography THE GARNER FILES about MISTER BUDDWING

" I'd summarize the plot, but to this day, I have no clue what it is. Worst picture I ever made. What were they thinking? What was I thinking? "

Garner hated Mr. Buddwing  and A Man Called Sledge.  I've not seen the first but thought the second  not as bad as he did so I'll watch to see if I agree.  Most of the rest I've seen but want to again.  

I watched Mr. Buddwing several years ago and just couldn't get into it.  It features several actresses of the time and is good for that.

I've never seen MARLOWE.

I'm looking forward to this one. 

It features Bruce Lee in his first movie role.

It's interesting to me that Garner went back to TV to do "Rockford" when he seemed to be at the top of the movie game. Movies has always trumped TV for actors if they could really be in demand in movies. Why did he do it?

It's interesting to me that Garner went back to TV to do "Rockford" when he seemed to be at the top of the movie game. Movies has always trumped TV for actors if they could really be in demand in movies. Why did he do it?

Well the common reasons are a steady income and less travel.    

I noticed this morning that Amazon has raised their prices on season sets of The Rockford Files from what they were previously. Coincidence? What a bunch of money grubbers.

They always raise the prices anyway whenever someone famous dies. That's why Michael Jackson has earned more after death than he was when he was alive, albeit the last decade of his life. Supposedly, its good for business. Morally, well that's a different story.