Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I've not heard anything about a funeral or memorial service being or to be held.  I have an idea he wouldn't have wanted anything elaborate but would like friends and family to gather and remember him fondly.  Oh, to be the fly on the wall there!

Please add me to the gajillions of Mr. Garner's fans who just love his acting, his personality, his looks, and his accent. I also love his loyal love to his wife and family. Big thank you to TCM for playing his movies today and in the future. aloha 

I only heard about the TCM tribute today, and I must say how annoyed that the Ingmar Bergman tribute has been cancelled.  Who knows if TCM will ever show Through a Glass Darkly or The Silence again.  Why choose this over the Lee Grant tribute on the 30th, which doesn't even include Shampoo?

I'm also disappointed the Bergman night is getting deep sixed. I hope it will be rescheduled. The Lee Grant night would be problematic as she is also co-hosting with RO. (I too am puzzled why Shampoo isnt in the mix. Or that Middle of the Night is, as she has a very small part in that.......)

Please add me to the gajillions of Mr. Garner's fans who just love his acting, his personality, his looks, and his accent. I also love his loyal love to his wife and family. Big thank you to TCM for playing his movies today and in the future. aloha 

When I was in college, a girl told me I looked like James Garner. I'm still scratching my head over that one. Maybe she had James Garner confused with John Nance Garner.

When I was in college, a girl told me I looked like James Garner. I'm still scratching my head over that one. Maybe she had James Garner confused with John Nance Garner.

Her opinion wasn't worth a bucket of warm pi$$

When I was 12, back in 1956, a girl at the playground said I looked like Marlon Brando. 

Young-Marlon-Brando.jpg

But before I got my contact lenses, I thought I looked more like U Thant.

4654-004-B3D47A70.jpg

I got a phone call near the end of Buddwing  when he went in to see Grace.  By the time I got back the movie was over.  Would somebody e-mail me what happened so as not to spoil it for others?  I agree with Garner that it was a mess despite the pedigree but I stuck with it and want to see if made sense at the end.  Thank you.   

I got a phone call near the end of Buddwing  when he went in to see Grace.  By the time I got back the movie was over.  Would somebody e-mail me what happened so as not to spoil it for others?  I agree with Garner that it was a mess despite the pedigree but I stuck with it and want to see if made sense at the end.  Thank you.   

It's not a mess, it was ahead of its time, and takes a couple of views to understand it all.

Each of the women he at first mistakens for Grace. So at first we see Garner interact with each woman in their true identities and at some point they become a vivid flashback to his relationship with Grace at different stages of his life with Grace, the starry eyed young love stage, the struggle with real life, and the consequences of wrong decisions made. All this makes the viewer a little disoriented, a little lost, exactly how James Garner's character feels throughout the movie.

If you were wearin' your hair a lot longer back then like many of us did, are you sure she wasn't referrin' to PEGGY ANN Garner, finance???

It's not a mess, it was ahead of its time, and takes a couple of views to understand it all.

Each of the women he at first mistakens for Grace. So at first we see Garner interact with each woman in their true identities and at some point they become a vivid flashback to his relationship with Grace at different stages of his life with Grace, the starry eyed young love stage, the struggle with real life, and the consequences of wrong decisions made. All this makes the viewer a little disoriented, a little lost, exactly how James Garner's character feels throughout the movie.

Good synopsis, Joe!  I never had a chance to watch Mr. Buddwing all the way through until Monday's tribute to James Garner.  Even though Garner had once said even he didn't understand the plot of the movie, I thought it was a good, mind-bending film.  On top of that, I got to see Angela Lansbury, Suzanne Pleshette, and Jean Simmons portray screen personnas one might not associate with their other roles.  Just like "The Children's Hour", I thought it was a wonderfully acted film by the cast.  All in all, TCM did a good job with Garner's tribute.

• Like 1

Good synopsis, Joe!  I never had a chance to watch Mr. Buddwing all the way through until Monday's tribute to James Garner.  Even though Garner had once said even he didn't understand the plot of the movie, I thought it was a good, mind-bending film.  On top of that, I got to see Angela Lansbury, Suzanne Pleshette, and Jean Simmons portray screen personnas one might not associate with their other roles.  Just like "The Children's Hour", I thought it was a wonderfully acted film by the cast.  All in all, TCM did a good job with Garner's tribute.

With regards to The Children's Hour;   I don't know how I feel about Audrey Hepburn's performance.   Was I expecting her to be more stylish?   Was I missing that Audrey charm?     In the dramatic scenes in the last half of the film I just don't find Audrey all that convincing,   but again,  it could just be my expectation or the fact I find her character in the movie very annoying.

With regards to The Children's Hour;   I don't know how I feel about Audrey Hepburn's performance.   Was I expecting her to be more stylish?   Was I missing that Audrey charm?     In the dramatic scenes in the last half of the film I just don't find Audrey all that convincing,   but again,  it could just be my expectation or the fact I find her character in the movie very annoying.

Perhaps you were just subconsciously comparing her performance with that of Shirley MacLaine's, as Shirley not only had the meatier role in this, but I always thought she nailed it, too. 

• Like 1

Perhaps you were just subconsciously comparing her performance with that of Shirley MacLaine's, as Shirley not only had the meatier role in this, but I always thought she nailed it, too. 

That is MacLaine's best performance ever. I almost became a fan after seeing her in that  - that was around 1965, I think.

I'll admit "The Children's Hour" is a bummer of a film.  Every semblance of a happy scene is scuttled by some outburst of unpleasantness or shock.  As it is, it's one of those films I can't picture any other star portraying the Garner, Hepburn, and MacLaine roles, given the subject matter and the time in which it was filmed.  I'd be interested to know if other actors and actresses had been approached for the three lead characters, but turned down the opportunity based on the script.  It would seem to go against the grain to have Audrey Hepburn in a role such as this, but she was certainly not stylish and sophisticated in "The Nun's Story" either.

Another aspect of "The Children's Hour" that's interesting is that Miriam Hopkins, who played the role of Martha Dobie in the original version, called "These Three" with Merle Oberon and Joel McCrea, was also cast in the updated version nearly 30 years later, as Shirley MacLaine's aunt.

Well Dargo,  you're right yet again.   Yea,  MacLaine does nail the role and she is very convincing;  at the start with just her body language and and non verbal expressions,  and later on (after being outed) with her delivery of diaglog in very dynamic scenes.   So yea,  compared to MacLaine,  Hepburn was 'flat',  Hepburn's Karen was a low key type of gal so one could say that Audrey was playing the part as intented.   Regardless I still feel the performance lacks something.  

My husband and I swore we wouldn't stay up through The Americanization of Emily, but we did.  What a marvelous film, way ahead of its time.  The sexual chemistry between Julie Andrews and Garner is fantastic (who said Julie Andrews couldn't be sexy?).   What a well-written screenplay, and many laugh-out-loud moments.  We really enjoyed Keenan Wynn and his companion in the latter part of the film -- very funny.  I couldn't make it through The Children's Hour, unfortunately.

If you were wearin' your hair a lot longer back then like many of us did, are you sure she wasn't referrin' to PEGGY ANN Garner, finance???

Coincidentally, about a month after that incident, I met a guy who really DID look like James Garner.

My husband and I swore we wouldn't stay up through The Americanization of Emily, but we did.  What a marvelous film, way ahead of its time.  The sexual chemistry between Julie Andrews and Garner is fantastic (who said Julie Andrews couldn't be sexy?).   What a well-written screenplay, and many laugh-out-loud moments.  We really enjoyed Keenan Wynn and his companion in the latter part of the film -- very funny.  I couldn't make it through The Children's Hour, unfortunately.

Wasn't that Steve Franken who played the buddy?

I got sucked in as well, although in did turn it off when Garner was getting ready to leave to go on the mission with Coburn. It really is a great movie and everyone involved was well cast. Garner, especially, played the cad very well. Maybe I should call him the ultimate hustler. And Julie Andrews is one of my favorites (she needs to do a Private Screenings with Robert.)

Americanization of Emily has some brilliant dialogue by Paddy Chayefsky, with Garner's delivery, in particular, quite wonderful. It's no wonder he was so pleased with this film.

And the chemistry between him and Julie Andrews is quite potent. I'm certainly glad that they were reunited for Victor Victoria, one of the great films of the '80s, as far as I'm concerned. I remember seeing this one at the show when it first appeared and loving everyone in it, particularly Lesley Ann Warren who pretty much steals every scene she's in.

Somewhere I heard (and I'm not saying that it's true) that Garner originally wanted the role played by Robert Preston. If that is the case, I must say that I'm quite happy with the way that things turned out instead.

• Like 1

Americanization of Emily has some brilliant dialogue by Paddy Chayefsky, with Garner's delivery, in particular, quite wonderful. It's no wonder he was so pleased with this film.

And the chemistry between him and Julie Andrews is quite potent. I'm certainly glad that they were reunited for Victor Victoria, one of the great films of the '80s, as far as I'm concerned. I remember seeing this one at the show when it first appeared and loving everyone in it, particularly Lesley Ann Warren who pretty much steals every scene she's in.

Somewhere I heard (and I'm not saying that it's true) that Garner originally wanted the role played by Robert Preston. If that is the case, I must say that I'm quite happy with the way that things turned out instead.

Totally agree with all your comments about VICTOR/VICTORIA.

I just found a story on-line that might make his passing seen a bit easier to take.  I know it did for me.

Early reports all said that he was "found dead" at his home as if he had died alone.  An AP correction stated that he was with family and friends when it happened.  It’s nice to know he went out the way I think most of us would want to; surounded by those we love and who love us.  If this isn't quite a silver lining it's a lot more comforting than the original reports.

It seems to me that there's been a strong reaction to Garner's death, stronger than that of most stars, I suspect. Look at this board as an example.

He was a bit of a national institution, I suppose, without many of us thinking of him that way. And Garner, being such a down to earth guy, would have HATED!!!! anyone saying that about him.

But it seems to me like he was always just there, and maybe, at times, taken a little too much for granted.

Great talent, great natural charm, wonderful comedy technique. And such a long and respected body of work, in both television and the movies.

I suspect that James Garner is simply one of the most liked of all stars, the guy you'd loved to have had as a next door neighbour. What a tribute to his honesty as both a person and actor.

Thanks, wouldbestar. I'm glad he was surrounded by his loved ones.

james.jpg

• Like 1

Great Post TomJH. I think you're right in that he was one of those entertainers that was always there and whose work touched many generations. The post WW2 generation liked him, like my parents, and today's young adults like him for The Notebook. He apparently was quite liberal yet I never knew that until he died, so he was never a polarizing actor. He was macho but never took himself too seriously. I loved the guy and glad he was in the world to entertain us.

• Like 1

Great Post TomJH. I think you're right in that he was one of those entertainers that was always there and whose work touched many generations. The post WW2 generation liked him, like my parents, and today's young adults like him for The Notebook. He apparently was quite liberal yet I never knew that until he died, so he was never a polarizing actor. He was macho but never took himself too seriously. I loved the guy and glad he was in the world to entertain us.

While I am glad that politics doesn't matter in our appreciation of James Garner, "liberal" shouldn't be a turn off. It's not a bad word either, so there is no need to shame someone for their forward thinking.