Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

RIP James Garner

speedracer5

It seems to me that there's been a strong reaction to Garner's death, stronger than that of most stars, I suspect. Look at this board as an example.

He was a bit of a national institution, I suppose, without many of us thinking of him that way. And Garner, being such a down to earth guy, would have HATED!!!! anyone saying that about him.

But it seems to me like he was always just there, and maybe, at times, taken a little too much for granted.

Great talent, great natural charm, wonderful comedy technique. And such a long and respected body of work, in both television and the movies.

I suspect that James Garner is simply one of the most liked of all stars, the guy you'd loved to have had as a next door neighbour. What a tribute to his honesty as both a person and actor.

Thanks, wouldbestar. I'm glad he was surrounded by his loved ones.

James Garner was very easy to like.   Also he was part of the later era of studio stars and he did T.V. shows in the 21st Century (8 Simple Rules which Garner and David Spade joined after the sad death of John Ritter,  and featured a young Kaley Cuoco from The Big Bang Theory, the highest rated TV show today).

So all generations have something in common with Garner.    That isn't the case for most studio-era actors like Olivia DeHaviland or Maureen O'Hara,  who had a much more stellar film legacy.

• Like 1

While I am glad that politics doesn't matter in our appreciation of James Garner, "liberal" shouldn't be a turn off. It's not a bad word either, so there is no need to shame someone for their forward thinking.

Oh, actors politics don't normally bother me, and I just mentioned that because it sometimes gets brought up in discussions of certain actors more so with more recent people than actors of old. I'm a proud liberal myself, so it wasn't a knock against him.

• Like 1

Oh, actors politics don't normally bother me, and I just mentioned that because it sometimes gets brought up in discussions of certain actors more so with more recent people than actors of old. I'm a proud liberal myself, so it wasn't a knock against him.

Thanks for the clarification. Next to body and ****-shaming, there seems to be an equal amount of liberal-shaming today that I was cautious of from your original post. 

The point I'm seeing is that when an actor (or musician,  artist, or any public figure other then a politician),  is very vocal about their politics,   they are likely to turn off a certain segment of the general public.     So when they die this could impact how the media covers their death.  

e.g.  Take Matt Damon or John Voight;   Fox may not provide the same type of coverage as NBC for either of these two.  

The point I'm seeing is that when an actor (or musician,  artist, or any public figure other then a politician),  is very vocal about their politics,   they are likely to turn off a certain segment of the general public.     So when they die this could impact how the media covers their death.  

e.g.  Take Matt Damon or John Voight;   Fox may not provide the same type of coverage as NBC for either of these two.  

Well, Fox might be more likely to provide coverage to Jon Voight because of his vocal right wing political leanings.

On the personal note, I think Jon Voight is one of the most talented and creative film actors, and for a time I found myself avoiding his work because of his ultra-conservative political views. Then I realized I was guilty of the same behavior of those who shun the work of talented entertainers who happen to be vocal liberals.

Tom, your latest tribute to Jimmy and spotlighting his affability was once again superbly expressed.

I don't remember if anyone in any of the Garner threads ever posted the following old "What My Line?" appearance of his as the mystery guest, but I think it well shows this aspect of his personally...

(...starts at the 14:22 minute mark)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_3Q37kVY4I

Well, I think there needs to be an overhaul of news media anyway. To quote a line from a movie "news media is just sensationalist infotainment today that barely reports the news anymore." This applies to right and left media pundits. 

Personally, there is no bigger Exhibit A than Fox News, because no one spins facts faster and no one has a better way to propagate to people of a certain confirmation bias what they want them to believe and think. No news network has a bunch of watchers who faithfully follow the network's every broadcast as if it was a daily church sermon. No news network has a bunch of watchers who do exactly what they are told to do regarding what to think about the world and the people in it. No news network sets up a cult of personality so strong that whenever a criticism of the network is out there, people defend it as if it was a personal dig on a family member. No news network baits and switches their watchers as easily as Fox News does. Rupert Murdoch believes that his network's purpose is not to report the facts, but to accommodate to his own political beliefs. I have watched clips of several broadcasts on there, and a while ago, watched two full hours of Fox News, and honestly, if I didn't take notes and fact-check after I stopped, and wound up with 15 pages of corrections, I probably wouldn't have come to this conclusion. 

Exhibit B would be any and every other mainstream news network that relies on the Fox model of infotainment- where people come on for segments to get a supposed "multiple" perspective, but really get corrected by the person hosting it repeatedly. Where we get more opinions about the world from a personality than from an actual person reporting the facts and then giving an editorial afterward. 

I read the news today because at least there, I have the freedom to make up my mind from a diversity of sources. I am not told what to do by people whom I agree with because I don't have the intellectual energy to be challenged appropriately in discussion. Honestly, Network (1976) was supposed to a satire, not a business plan to be realized. 

• Like 1

Well, Fox might be more likely to provide coverage to Jon Voight because of his vocal right wing political leanings.

On the personal note, I think Jon Voight is one the most talented and creative film actors, and for a time I found myself avoiding his work because of his ultra-conservative political views. Then I realized I was guilty of the same behavior of those who shun the work of talented entertainers who happen to be vocal liberals.

My issue with Jon Voight has more to do with the fact that his own daughter has nothing to do with him. Can he act? Without a doubt, but I try to put their personal political views out of my mind when watching one of their movies to get into the story. I do the same thing with John Wayne, Bing Crosby, Rock Hudson, Charlton Heston, Robert Taylor, Errol Flynn, etc. However, that dang IMDB site sometimes tells me a little too much in the 'trivia' section sometimes.... I go there to see if some bit actor I'm watching had an ending like Lionel Atwill (and sometimes get WAY too much info).

Also, the fact that Voight is such a right winger is a real surprise considering some of his roles like 'Coming Home' and 'Conrack'.

• Like 1

My issue with Jon Voight has more to do with the fact that his own daughter has nothing to do with him. Can he act? Without a doubt, but I try to put their personal political views out of my mind when watching one of their movies to get into the story. I do the same thing with John Wayne, Bing Crosby, Rock Hudson, Charlton Heston, Robert Taylor, Errol Flynn, etc. However, that dang IMDB site sometimes tells me a little too much in the 'trivia' section sometimes.... I go there to see if some bit actor I'm watching had an ending like Lionel Atwill (and sometimes get WAY too much info).

Also, the fact that Voight is such a right winger is a real surprise considering some of his roles like 'Coming Home' and 'Conrack'.

Was Voight at the Jane Fonda AMI tribute?   They were great together in Coming Home but something tells me today, he doesn't wish to come home to dear Jane!  

Tom, your latest tribute to Jimmy and spotlighting his affability was once again superbly expressed.

I don't remember if anyone in any of the Garner threads ever posted the following old "What My Line?" appearance of his as the mystery guest, but I think it well shows this aspect of his personally...

(...starts at the 14:22 minute mark)

Thanks very much, Dargo, for the compliment, as well as giving us access to James Garner's 1964 appearance on What's My Line?

It's interesting that even then, less than a decade or so into his film career, reference was already being made to the love and respect that Garner enjoyed among his fellow players. He did a decent Maudy Fricker impersonation, too. I didn't know he was a fan of the immortal Jonathan Winters.

• Like 2

Was Voight at the Jane Fonda AMI tribute? They were great together in Coming Home but something tells me today, he doesn't wish to come home to dear Jane!

Voight was in the tribute but only on tape like several other people were like Jennifer Lopez and Dolly Parton. He said nice things about her involvement in producing Coming Home.

ETA: I want to apologize for broaching politics in my earlier post about Garner. I didn't dream it would start this whole discussion. That wasn't my intention, which was to point out that he had strongly held but private views and was beloved by most film fans regardless.

Voight was in the tribute but only on tape like several other people were like Jennifer Lopez and Dolly Parton. He said nice things about her involvement in producing Coming Home.

Well that was nice of him.   I wonder if his friend Hannity ask him 'what where you thinking'!  ;)   Too bad he can't make peace with his daughter.  

ETA: I want to apologize for broaching politics in my earlier post about Garner. I didn't dream it would start this whole discussion. That wasn't my intention, which was to point out that he had strongly held but private views and was beloved by most film fans regardless.

No worries. It wasn't disrespectful in its intent. It would be different if it was. 

Well that was nice of him.   I wonder if his friend Hannity ask him 'what where you thinking'!  ;)   Too bad he can't make peace with his daughter.  

Sean Hannity is such a baby. Of course, in Voight's day, there were actual efforts to respect amid disagreement with each other that's lost today. For God's sake, even Reagan met and befriended Tip O'Neill. 

On the personal note, I think Jon Voight is one the most talented and creative film actors, and for a time I found myself avoiding his work because of his ultra-conservative political views. Then I realized I was guilty of the same behavior of those who shun the work of talented entertainers who happen to be vocal liberals.

I've liked Voight's work since the beginning - Cowboy, Catch 22, Deliverance, Conrack, and so on.

When I learned of his political leanings I felt disappointed - but because of his film work he remains on the list of names that please me whenever I see them in the acting credits. I will continue to collect his movies.

I hope that a thread that has been a very nice tribute and a way for TCM fans to express their feelings for a great star is NOT going to get sidetracked by politics now or any other subject that doesn't have something to do with James Garner. 

Hopefully others feel the same way, and will be willing to return the thread back the subject of a unique actor that, among other roles, played the fraidy cat hero with a subtle skill and aplomb virtually unmatched by any others, in my opinion.

james-garner_zps4195351d1_zps0de556f6.jp

• Like 3

Loved the old What's My Line video you posted Tom. He was so handsome. It's been a while since I've seen one of those and everyone was dressed up and polite.

Oops it was Dargo, not Tom.

Yes, HelenBaby, everyone was always so civilized and courteous on What's My LIne, and a classy guest like James Garner fit right in with that atmosphere.

Thanks TomJH for What's My Line.  I agree with Arlene Francis -- he was just heaven. 

I'm always willing to receive a thanks, rosebette. In this case, though, it's Dargo that deserves it. He brought the What's My Line link to the thread.

I hope that a thread that has been a very nice tribute and a way for TCM fans to express their feelings for a great star is NOT going to get sidetracked by politics now or any other subject that doesn't have something to do with James Garner. 

Hopefully others feel the same way, and will be willing to return the thread back the subject of a unique actor that, among other roles, played the fraidy cat hero with a subtle skill and aplomb virtually unmatched by any others, in my opinion.

james-garner_zps4195351d1_zps0de556f6.jp

Understandable, I've had that happen at my Icon vs. Reality thread a while back ago. Some people just can't let up with their intolerance. I mean, really, having the accusation that someone else is being "political" while they drop theirs everywhere pulling away from the topic- hypocrites. 

Anyway, James Garner rocked and is still deeply missed. 

Anyway, James Garner rocked and is still deeply missed. 

Thanks, hepclassic.

I suspect that the emotional impact of Garner's death may have taken many people a bit by surprise. You start to reflect upon the man and his work and suddenly realize just how much he meant to you over the years.

A lot of fans are fond of him as a man and respect his work as an artist.

On top of everything else that Garner did, I'll always have a special affection for those Polaroid commercials that he made with Mariette Hartley. His laid back charm and chemistry with that lady brought such delightful small pleasures to so many television viewers 30 odd years ago.

He was a one of a kind.

garner1_zpsb6451c2e.png

• Like 1

Thanks, hepclassic.

I suspect that the emotional impact of Garner's death may have taken many people a bit by surprise. You start to reflect upon the man and his work and suddenly realize just how much he meant to you over the years.

A lot of fans are fond of him as a man and respect his work as an artist.

On top of everything else that Garner did, I'll always have a special affection for those Polaroid commercials that he made with Mariette Hartley. His laid back charm and chemistry with that lady brought such delightful small pleasures to so many television viewers 30 odd years ago.

He was a one of a kind.

garner1_zpsb6451c2e.png

He was. I'm still not over it myself. I couldn't even watch the TCM tribute to him. It's been a rough year for classic film fans. 

• 1 month later...

I just saw a DVD of THE NOTEBOOK for the first time.

It's a love story starring Ryan Gosling and Rachel McAdams, which was a hit at the time of its 2004 release. James Garner is prominently featured in a supporting role, along with Gena Rowlands.

Normally a tear jerker of this sort is not my cup of tea but I decided to watch it because of Garner's participation.

There are no great surprises in the overall story but it is certainly well written, directed and acted. Most of the tale, involving the film's two young stars, is told in flashback by Garner to Gena Rowlands, as they play a pair of seniors residing in a nursing home.

While I generally appreciated the love story of the two young people, what took me by surprise was the power of the film's final scenes involving Garner and Rowlands. I will not, of course, divulge their contents for those reading this who have yet to see the film.

Suffice it to say, though, that there is one scene, in particular, of stunning power in which Rowland's character is suddenly under extreme mental stress. There is a reaction shot of Garner to her anxiety that is heart breaking in its depiction of his own anguish and frustration at what is happening to her. It is easily among the finest moments of acting that I have ever seen from this actor.

The film's final scene is extraordinarily powerful, one that I think will linger in the memories of many viewers.

Yes, The Notebook IS a tearjerker. Some might not mind that label on a film, while others will. But, as a non fan of tearjerkers, I heartily recommend the film to those who would like to see a demonstration of the honesty of emotion and quiet grace that an older James Garner could bring to a role.

de7d2b0a-e8a8-4e2c-928e-03c82f6e7769_zps