Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
NipkowDisc

The Odd Couple tonite...

"How long have you been in the United States. Of America."

"They say it may rain Friday"

"It took me an hour to figure out F.U. meant Felix Unger."

"Felixsh! You're drivin' me crazshy, Felixsh!"

I love this movie.  I especially like when Felix throws his back out all the time.  My back! My back! and when he keeps cleaning up after Oscar and his poker buddies while they're trying to play cards. 

I also love the noise Felix makes when he comes down with a sinus attack and when the part of the film when he sends the suicide telegram.

I remember watching this the first time and recognizing one of Oscar's poker buddies as Stan Zbornak, Bea Arthur's ex-husband on The Golden Girls.

The Odd Couple show is one of the few movie to TV adaptations that actually worked.

I love this movie.  I especially like when Felix throws his back out all the time.  My back! My back! and when he keeps cleaning up after Oscar and his poker buddies while they're trying to play cards. 

I also love the noise Felix makes when he comes down with a sinus attack and when the part of the film when he sends the suicide telegram.

I remember watching this the first time and recognizing one of Oscar's poker buddies as Stan Zbornak, Bea Arthur's ex-husband on The Golden Girls.

The Odd Couple show is one of the few movie to TV adaptations that actually worked.

Speed, that actor was Herb Edelman, who was seen in a lot of comedy movies and shows in the late '60's.  He was the telephone man who installed the phone in Jane Fonda and Bob Redford's apartment in BAREFOOT IN THE PARK.

Oh, that noise Felix makes to clear his eustatian tubes is classic:

"PHMWAH!"

Sepiatone

Speed, that actor was Herb Edelman, who was seen in a lot of comedy movies and shows in the late '60's.  He was the telephone man who installed the phone in Jane Fonda and Bob Redford's apartment in BAREFOOT IN THE PARK.

Oh, that noise Felix makes to clear his eustatian tubes is classic:

"PHMWAH!"

Sepiatone

:lol:at least his head doesn't explode.

IMO, there are very, very few 'perfect' movies - The Odd Couple is one.

The only fault I can find is with the way it's presented to the viewer - the way the gang's situated around the poker table... they're only around the far side of the table so we're able to see their faces; not their backs.

I know this is used in many films, tv shows and stage plays - it must be so in order for us to be able to relate to the cast.

It's a small thing. Not worth mentioning, really...

The early scenes where they've chased Felix into a bedroom and he tells them he took a bottle of pills, then Oscar grabs one of the guys by the shirt and yells "He's probably the healthiest one in the whole place!" leaves me literally rolling on the floor laughing. I almost choked on a mouthful of ice cream tonight.

IMO, there are very, very few 'perfect' movies - The Odd Couple is one.

The only fault I can find is with the way it's presented to the viewer - the way the gang's situated around the poker table... they're only around the far side of the table so we're able to see their faces; not their backs.

I know this is used in many films, tv shows and stage plays - it must be so in order for us to be able to relate to the cast.

It's a small thing. Not worth mentioning, really...

Yeah, I recall long ago in my high school's drama class( I had no aspirations, just needed the credit!)  the practice was to move about the stage in a way your BACK is never turned to the audience.  It made for some very awkward looking movement, and totally unrealistic presentation.  It's an "old school" principle that was long abandoned even by the time I took the class!

But JOSE FERRER  uses it hilariously in the movie ENTER LAUGHING.

There's a LOT of VERY funny lines in this movie, but I've said before, my favorite is when Walter Matthau's Oscar says to Felix:

"If you have something on your chest besides your CHIN, then get it off!"

My younger daughter first saw this movie when she was 12, and near wet herself while rolling on the floor laughing!  And it's STILL one of her "all time favorites".  And long has been one of mine too.

Sepiatone

I love this movie.

and us HARDORE GG FANS recognize the meek, bald guy at the poker table as "Eddie: the love machine" with whom Dorothy enjoys a purely sexual relationship sometime ca. season 4.

wish i could recall the title of the episode, it's a really good one.

• Like 1

I like THE ODD COUPLE, but it's interesting coming to it after seeing the disastrous 1974 version of MAME directed by Gene Saks- I get the feeling he knew the stage just fine, but film direction just won't really his thang.

I like THE ODD COUPLE, but it's interesting coming to it after seeing the disastrous 1974 version of MAME directed by Gene Saks- I get the feeling he knew the stage just fine, but film direction just won't really his thang.

I think he did a great job with The Odd Couple film. Though considering the cast, there probably wasn't much direction needed.

I think he did a great job with The Odd Couple film. Though considering the cast, there probably wasn't much direction needed.

It's strange though the way it's shot, kind of flat and a little confined....If memory serves me correct, there are a lot of static two shots; not a whole lot of cuts and close-ups; certainly not much camera movement, it's all in such sharp Focus, there's really nothing going on with the lighting.

Sometimes I wonder if the film wouldn't have worked better in black and white.

It's not badly directed by any stretch of the term, but it's not necessarily very "filmic" either.

Sadly, after years of Grumpy Old Men sequels, neither Matthau, Lemmon or Neil Simon ended well in the sequel:

It's strange though the way it's shot, kind of flat and a little confined....If memory serves me correct, there are a lot of static two shots; not a whole lot of cuts and close-ups; certainly not much camera movement, it's all in such sharp Focus, there's really nothing going on with the lighting.

Sometimes I wonder if the film wouldn't have worked better in black and white.

It's not badly directed by any stretch of the term, but it's not necessarily very "filmic" either.

To me, it's definitely filmed like a stage play. It works. 

I don't believe black and white would have hurt it any, and that may be the proof of it's greatness.

Sadly, after years of Grumpy Old Men sequels, neither Matthau, Lemmon or Neil Simon ended well in the sequel:

The first one - I enjoyed the story but not their performances. I haven't seen Grumpier Old Men.

The Odd Couple was a popular humorous duet at our high school speech contests. I still have that last "linguine" scene memorized. Same with the Empress/Anna scene from "Anastasia" (which I took to the 19xx State Finals in dramatic reading)

Our community theater is doing a female "Odd Couple" in August. I play female Oscar.

• Like 2

To me, it's definitely filmed like a stage play. It works. 

I don't believe black and white would have hurt it any, and that may be the proof of it's greatness.

I'm not much of a fan of the film since Felix is too depressed,  too often in the film for my taste.    I guess I don't find a lot of humor in the 'he might kill himself' scenes or the fact he can't 'make it' with those neighbor gals.      

I'm not much of a fan of the film since Felix is too depressed,  too often in the film for my taste.    I guess I don't find a lot of humor in the 'he might kill himself' scenes or the fact he can't 'make it' with those neighbor gals.      

Felix supplies the least of the humor in the film. Since everything revolves around him, the humor is that of coping with him - not he himself.