Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Rene Clair's "And Then There Were None" showing Monday at 8:00 pm

And Then There Were None, 1945. Dir- Rene Claire.

stars- Misha Auer, Judith Anderson, Walter Huston, Barry Fitzgerald

I have to be honest with you guys, this is not a film that I'm nuts about, but it's one that I have noticed stirs up a lot of enthusiasm amongst film buffs and it is (possibly?) a TCM premiere- if not a premiere, at the very least it's one they haven't shown since God was a boy (and I don't know why since, the last I checked, it's in the Public Domain.)

Hope they show a good print.

I also note that at 10:00 pm they are showing Evil Under the Sun, which was another attempt at an all-star Christie mystery- although with a noticeably smaller budget and a far less substantial source than Orient Express and Death on the Nile. The ultimate solution to the mystery is rather laborious, yet a tad obvious- but the locations divine, the cinematography great and the art-deco sets deliciously tacky. And it's got a great cast- I really like Peter Ustinov as Poirot, Maggie Smith is always fun, Diana Rigg and Sylvia Miles are along for the ride too, and (the late) Nicholas Clay (a young up and comer at the time) is smokin' hot. James Mason is in it too, but is criminally under-used. Oh, Roddy MacDowell too. 

I also also note that I Married a Witch- a real triumph from Clair and one of my favorite fantasy films of the forties- is showing at 5:00 pm that evening. The Ghost Goes West- an intriguing fantasy starring Robert Donat is coming on at 6:30 It is a real treat and a nice triple feature of Clare's work...hope they show a better print of I Married a Witch than they have in the past.

This post was all over the place, but I really believe it's our job to alert one another whenever they're showing something new or exciting or not Gigi.

Feel free to comment on anything above- the films of Clair, the novels of Christie, the fabulousness of Maggie Smith, the hotness of Nicholas Clay, etc etc.

I also also note that I Married a Witch- a real triumph from Clair and one of my favorite fantasy films of the forties- is showing at 6:00 pm that evening. It is a real treat and a nice double feature of his work...hope they show a better print of it than they have in the past.

Good steer, Lorna, but the actual starting time for that movie is 5:00 pm, not 6:00.

5:00 PM
77 min
comedy

A 300-year-old witch wreaks havoc when she falls in love with a young politician.

DirRené Clair CastFredric March , Veronica Lake , Robert Benchley .

I also note that at 10:00 pm they are showing Evil Under the Sun, which was another attempt at an all-star Christie mystery- although with a noticeably smaller budget and a far less substantial source than Orient Express and Death on the Nile. The ultimate solution to the mystery is rather laborious, yet a tad obvious- but the locations divine, the cinematography great and the art-deco sets deliciously tacky. And it's got a great cast- I really like Peter Ustinov as Poirot, Maggie Smith is always fun, Diana Rigg and Sylvia Miles are along for the ride too, and (the late) Nicholas Clay (a young up and comer at the time) is smokin' hot. James Mason is in it too, but is criminally under-used. Oh, Roddy MacDowell too.

I almost feel like checking that one out just to see if the movie persona of Jane Birkin is one hundredth as sexy as

.  That famous song of hers was right up there with Sylvia's
as the....well, I think you get the idea.... B)

A detective trying to solve a case finds himself on an exclusive island frequented by the rich and famous.

DirGuy Hamilton CastPeter Ustinov , Colin Blakely , Jane Birkin .

Feel free to comment on anything above- the films of Clair, the novels of Christie, the fabulousness of Maggie Smith, the hotness of Nicholas Clay, etc etc.

Thanks for the heads-up about And Then There Were None, haven't seen it in yonks. Re: Maggie Smith yes she's fabulous. Oscar got it right when she won for Jean Brodie -- she was not well known then; it was unexpected in a very tough year. I've seen her on stage several times -- she's brilliant in theater as well. Her son Toby Stephens is also a fine actor.

I almost feel like checking that one out just to see if the movie persona of Jane Birkin is one hundredth as sexy as

.  . B)

She was also the namesake of the famous Birkin Bag, which is an uber-purse- the Rolls-Royce of accessories and a waiting-list, limited edition status symbol. I think they go for something like five grand. (they are also next-level fug if you ask me.)

She's also, I think, the first person to show p u b e s in a major release ( Blow Up, 1966 )...how proud her parents must've been.

edit: Just Bing image searched Birkin Bag, and it's not fug at all. Comes in some colors that are fug, but in itself- no. Looks pretty chic and useful.

I have to be honest with you guys, this is not a film that I'm nuts about, but it's one that I have noticed stirs up a lot of enthusiasm amongst film buffs and it is (possibly?) a TCM premiere- if not a premiere, at the very least it's one they haven't shown since God was a boy (and I don't know why since, the last I checked, it's in the Public Domain.)

Yes, AND THEN THERE WERE NONE is a premiere.

It was scheduled before but was bumped for the Shirley Temple tribute.

Thanks for the reminder.

:)

A night of movies based on works by Agatha Christie.

Nicholas Clay in that tiny swimsuit in EVIL UNDER THE SUN is the male equivalent of Elizabeth Taylor's infamous swimsuit in SUDDENLY LAST SUMMER.

nicholas%20clay.jpg

I'm also looking forward to MURDER SHE SAID.

Yes, I know that Margaret Rutherford's Miss Marple is not the character as imagined by Agatha Christie, but I still enjoy her in that role. 

• Like 1

I also also note that I Married a Witch- a real triumph from Clair and one of my favorite fantasy films of the forties- is showing at 5:00 pm that evening. The Ghost Goes West- an intriguing fantasy starring Robert Donat is coming on at 6:30 It is a real treat and a nice triple feature of Clare's work...hope they show a better print of I Married a Witch than they have in the past.

This post was all over the place, but I really believe it's our job to alert one another whenever they're showing something new or exciting or not Gigi.

I'm glad others are interested in And Then There Were None and I Married a Witch.  I remembered having seen some film adaptation of Agatha Christie's novel; but of the couple versions I've seen, it wasn't the one I remember.  I'm hoping maybe this one is it?  I've set this film up on my DVR.

I also set up I Married a Witch, I've never seen Veronica Lake in a film.  I was excited when I saw this one on the schedule.  I'll be watching it for sure.

However... I feel like I may need to set up Evil Under the Sun on the DVR, I've never heard of Nicholas Clay... but how could I go on in life knowing that I missed a super hot actor on film?   

I also set up I Married a Witch, I've never seen Veronica Lake in a film.  I was excited when I saw this one on the schedule.  I'll be watching it for sure.

However... I feel like I may need to set up Evil Under the Sun on the DVR, I've never heard of Nicholas Clay... but how could I go on in life knowing that I missed a super hot actor on film?   

I Married a Witch is just wall-to-wall wonderful. A great performance from Lake; and a wonderful turn by Cecil Kellaway as her wicked, drunken warlock father. Susan Hayward has a small, but important, part as a real, copper-bottom b**ch that the hero (straight man Frederic March) is supposed to marry. Great special effects. Just a charming, charming film.

Bing image search Nicholas Clay. I tried to copy and paste some images of him in his black speedo from Evil Under the Sun but apparently I "don't have permission." He also played Lancelot in Excalibur.

I Married a Witch is just wall-to-wall wonderful. A great performance from Lake; and a wonderful turn by Cecil Kellaway as her wicked, drunken warlock father. Susan Hayward has a small, but important, part as a real, copper-bottom b**ch that the hero (straight man Frederic March) is supposed to marry. Great special effects. Just a charming, charming film.

Bing image search Nicholas Clay. I tried to copy and paste some images of him in his black speedo from Evil Under the Sun but apparently I "don't have permission." He also played Lancelot in Excalibur.

I image searched Nicholas Clay; I will admit that he fills out that black speedo nicely-- especially on the backside; however, I can't say that his face does as much for me as the rest of him does.  I will say this right now: Nuts to all the Esther Williams swimming epics; where are all the hot male stars in bathing suit movies?! Give the ladies (and some guys) what they want! (Note: I'm not saying anything bad about Esther Williams' swimming films.  I haven't seen any of them, so I can't comment.  All I think is that bathing suit men need equal representation in film!)

She was also the namesake of the famous Birkin Bag, which is an uber-purse- the Rolls-Royce of accessories and a waiting-list, limited edition status symbol. I think they go for something like five grand. (they are also next-level fug if you ask me.)

edit: Just Bing image searched Birkin Bag, and it's not fug at all. Comes in some colors that are fug, but in itself- no. Looks pretty chic and useful.

After doing some research via my love Wikipedia, prices can range from $7,400-$150,000!! Why in the world would you spend that much on a purse? The $7,400 ones must be some real piles of crap compared to the $150,000 one.  What in the world do they do to it? Is it carved out of a diamond? Made entirely of gold? Anyone who would spend $150,000 or even $7,400 for a purse clearly have too much money.  No thanks Hermes, I'll stick with my Fossil purse I got at Macy's off the clearance table.

• Like 1

Feel free to comment on anything above

Well I love And Then There Were None but have never cared for either I Married A Witch or The Ghost Goes West -- IMHO both sound a lot more interesting than they play.

And I thought Nicholas Clay was a total blank in Evil Under The Sun -- the one member of the cast with absolutely zero screen presence (I never even knew his name until your post -- he was always "that other guy" in a cast full of familiar faces). Maybe that's why he never made it in films and went back to the theatre.

I image searched Nicholas Clay; I will admit that he fills out that black speedo nicely-- especially on the backside; however, I can't say that his face does as much for me as the rest of him does.

y'know, the pics really don't do his face justice at all. but check out the movie tonight, when you see the whole package in motion it's really something.

Nicholas Clay also did a small- but exquisite- thriller with Patricia Neal in the early seventies called The Night Digger. It is an excellent film that TCM showed a couple of times a few years back, but has sadly not aired in a while.

That b u t t though, it would've won the PalmeD'Butte at Cannes. Wish I could post a pic.

HoldenisHere- thank you so much for posting those pics. I don't know how I missed your post when I scrolled through the thread for the last time last night.

Top center is my fave. George Brent, eat your heart out.

Oh, and BTW, I actually DO picture Margaret Rutherford as Miss Marple. I dunno why people always feel like she's not the "ideal" Marple. I VASTLY prefer her to "everyone's favorite" Joan Hickinson (sp?) who always seemed like she had downed a bottle of Robotussin before the cameras started. Waaaaaaaaay too sedate.

I may have missed a reference to it, but not only is AND THEN THERE WERE NONE airing tonight, but at 130am Eastern time, the first remake (TEN LITTLE INDIANS) airs. This one was done in 1965 and was the first of three times that producer Harry Alan Towers would adapt it, each time with worsening results.

I may have missed a reference to it, but not only is AND THEN THERE WERE NONE airing tonight, but at 130am Eastern time, the first remake (TEN LITTLE INDIANS) airs. This one was done in 1965 and was the first of three times that producer Harry Alan Towers would adapt it, each time with worsening results.

Yeah, since the 1965 version has aired quite a few times over the past couple of years and because it's not terribly good, I didn't feel too compelled to mention it. It also doesn't do anything to deviate from the 1945 version, going with the happy ending and not the bleak one Christie used in the source novel.

No, the 1965 film isn't very good - sufficient perhaps, but not particularly good. But I do know of some on another message board who prefer it because they don't like the light touch that Clair brought to his version.

To them I say "Shove it...... under the door."

• Like 1

HoldenisHere- thank you so much for posting those pics. I don't know how I missed your post when I scrolled through the thread for the last time last night.

Oh, and BTW, I actually DO picture Margaret Rutherford as Miss Marple. I dunno why people always feel like she's not the "ideal" Marple. I VASTLY prefer her to "everyone's favorite" Joan Hickinson (sp?) who always seemed like she had downed a bottle of Robotussin before the cameras started. Waaaaaaaaay too sedate.

I too prefer Margaret Rutherford. I like Joan Hickson, though. I've only read one of the books, but a friend who read many of them told me that Hickson is very much like the book Miss Marple, so I guess she wins with purists.  Btw, Joan Hickson plays TOTALLY different sorts of characters in small roles in a few Carry On films. Here she is in Carry On Constable:

6149869904_513db6df98_z.jpg

Hickson. Shoot. Sorry, I hate to get a person's name wrong, especially when I'm being critical of their work...and for the record, I want to say I saw Hickson in a supporting role in a film she did years before she was Marple where she was quite vibrant and funny.

I just feel like the Marple series done during the 80's was...well, really boring. The Moving Finger and Carribean Mystery were on youtube and I checked them out a while back and...zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

The BBC did an excellent relaunch of the series in the aughts with Geraldine McEwan in the role. They are still set in the past, but have a very contemporary feel to them, the best entry being The Moving Finger (which was one of Christie's favorite novels out of the many, many, many that she wrote.) They also incorporated Marple into a lot of Christie novels in which she did not appear- among them the reviled "Tommy and Tuppence" series, Towards Zero, Easy to Kill and Ordeal by Innocence.

Sadly, McEwan- who brought a quiet grace and a birdlike inquisitiveness to the role- retired from the role around the third season and was replaced by an actress who was nowhere near as good, but some of the later seasons are still well done and have ace production values and good casts.

They may be available on youtube, I know they once were...

The BBC did an excellent relaunch of the series in the aughts with Geraldine McEwan in the role. They are still set in the past, but have a very contemporary feel to them, the best entry being The Moving Finger (which was one of Christie's favorite novels out of the many, many, many that she wrote.) They also incorporated Marple into a lot of Christie novels in which she did not appear- among them the reviled "Tommy and Tuppence" series, Towards Zero, Easy to Kill and Ordeal by Innocence.

Sadly, McEwan- who brought a quiet grace and a birdlike inquisitiveness to the role- retired from the role around the third season and was replaced by an actress who was nowhere near as good, but some of the later seasons are still well done and have ace production values and good casts.

They may be available on youtube, I know they once were...

I love Geraldine McEwan. I've seen her on stage several times. She was incredible as Mrs. Malaprop in The Rivals! And hilarious as Lucia in Mapp and Lucia on television. But she was not actually considered a very good Miss Marple. Julia McKenzie, who replaced her, is also a highly accomplished stage actress -- particularly famous for musicals in the UK. But neither of them gave me as much pleasure as either Rutherford or Hickson as Miss Marple. Though of course it's all a matter of personal taste!

Yeah, George Brent has nothing on NC in that department.

As I recall, Miss Marple is described in Christie's novels as small and frail, which Margaret Rutherford is not.

I still like Margaret Rutherford's version in spite of this departure from Christie's concept of the character.