Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

John Wayne

NipkowDisc

Did anyone catch that delightful little story told about the Duke by Maureen O'Hara? It was so poignant. She and John Wayne were at John Ford's house and the Duke had a few too many and had passed out. I guess a loaded Duke layin' around kinda got on Ford's nerves a little so he told Maureen O'Hara to "Get 'em outta here" several times which see did. She had no idea where Duke lived so at some point Duke blurts out "Stop here" and he gets out of the car and goes into these people's house and orders a drink at their bar. Naturally, with John Wayne you comply. :lol:  Well, to this day, Miss O'Hara said, she wonders what those people must've thought of her and the Duke crashin' their home like that. According to her Duke thought it was a bar.  :D  

24yo2s6.jpg

I'm glad some people have 'fun' stories about drunks, I don't...

Well, I heard that little story related by Maureen O'Hara right here on tcm and she did say that she didn't think Duke would mind her telling it.  :)

Well, I heard that little story related by Maureen O'Hara right here on tcm and she did say that she didn't think Duke would mind her telling it. :)

Yeah, it's amazing how people remember things vs the reality of the situation. I'm sure the reason she got the duty of driving him home was because she was the only sober one left. I'd bet if you take a time machine and go back to that night, she wouldn't be laughing about having to take the loud, obnoxious drunk home (who apparently couldn't even make it that far before delirium tremens kicked in, LOL). If this was the best Duke story she had, that means they were few and far between. I also saw a story on TCM that the Duke was found passed out in some classic Hollywood bar/restaurant one morning by the son of the owner and this was not a big thing (I guess the Duke's drinking exploits back then were a common experience). Far cry from today and TMZ.

Yeah, it's amazing how people remember things vs the reality of the situation. I'm sure the reason she got the duty of driving him home was because she was the only sober one left. I'd bet if you take a time machine and go back to that night, she wouldn't be laughing about having to take the loud, obnoxious drunk home (who apparently couldn't even make it that far before delirium tremens kicked in, LOL). If this was the best Duke story she had, that means they were few and far between. I also saw a story on TCM that the Duke was found passed out in some classic Hollywood bar/restaurant one morning by the son of the owner and this was not a big thing (I guess the Duke's drinking exploits back then were a common experience). Far cry from today and TMZ.

But doesn't a story like that just humanize the Duke for ya, GenRipper66? If somebody related a similar story like that about Henry Fonda or Paul Newman it would crack me up...because it shows that our beloved film icons were human beings like the rest of us.

I believe you are referring to the Formosa Cafe on Santa Monica Blvd. across from what use to be the Sam Goldwyn Studios.It can be seen in the film "L.A. Confidential"...

• Like 1

But doesn't a story like that just humanize the Duke for ya, GenRipper66? If somebody related a similar story like that about Henry Fonda or Paul Newman it would crack me up...because it shows that our beloved film icons were human beings like the rest of us.

It would help if you liked the human, which I don't... He was an OK actor (I'm fond of a handful movies of his, but more for Ford's vision than his acting), but nothing like what is revered in the minds of so many mental midgets (you know, that he was some REAL American that was above reproach). This shows he was more like the drunk in Donovan's Reef... And, too much experience with drunks in general to 'like' a story about Fonda or Newman being drunk too. I would feel the same with them as Duke (how pathetic that a drunk has to pass out anywhere). I know they were humans. I don't need to hear dirt to confirm it. Dirt is nice, but usually just details that make me like them more/less. The Duke was an over-rated actor, period. Have been to his birthplace in Winterset, IA, tho... Talk about SMALL... OMG... My mother, on the other hand, LOVED every lame western he graced...

It would help if you liked the human, which I don't... He was an OK actor (I'm fond of a handful movies of his, but more for Ford's vision than his acting), but nothing like what is revered in the minds of so many mental midgets (you know, that he was some REAL American that was above reproach). This shows he was more like the drunk in Donovan's Reef... And, too much experience with drunks in general to 'like' a story about Fonda or Newman being drunk too. I would feel the same with them as Duke (how pathetic that a drunk has to pass out anywhere). I know they were humans. I don't need to hear dirt to confirm it. Dirt is nice, but usually just details that make me like them more/less. The Duke was an over-rated actor, period. Have been to his birthplace in Winterset, IA, tho... Talk about SMALL... OMG... My mother, on the other hand, LOVED every lame western he graced...

Yes, but you obviously think Wayne was just an OK actor because of his conservative views. I certainly don't limit my like of Fonda and Newman merely because they held liberal views. Tolerance comes easier to some film lovers than it does others, wouldn't you agree, pilgrim?  :)

2n65iyc.jpg

• Like 1

Yes, but you obviously think Wayne was just an OK actor because of his conservative views.

Actually, you're wrong... I think he was an OK actor, because he WAS a very limited range actor. I put Henry Fonda in the same category, regardless of his political views. Him being a conservative has nothing to do with it, because I'm closer to 'conservative' than any other group. He shined in ONE movie IMO (True Grit) because after playing a cowboy for decades, he finally got some good writing.

PS. The remark about not liking him as a human has more to do with his promotion of Vietnam and McCarthy.

Actually, you're wrong... I think he was an OK actor, because he WAS a very limited range actor. I put Henry Fonda in the same category, regardless of his political views. Him being a conservative has nothing to do with it, because I'm closer to 'conservative' than any other group. He shined in ONE movie IMO (True Grit) because after playing a cowboy for decades, he finally got some good writing.

Wow,  you handled that insult in a very nice way.       Yea,  if one doesn't feel Wayne is the greatest actor and greatest American of all time,   it must be because Wayne was a conservative.  ;)   Give me a break!   

• Like 1

Wow,  you handled that insult in a very nice way.       Yea,  if one doesn't feel Wayne is the greatest actor and greatest Ameican of all time,   it must be because Wayne was a conservative.  ;)   Give me a break!   

Of course Wayne had limited range. That some sort of revelation from on high? :lol:  But obviously Wayne had an intuitive sense for what film genre was gonna work for him and Wayne did not have the advantage of studio contract status but yet achieved to this day what many would say was an unmatched degree of stardom. Wayne intuitively must've known what the public would respond to from him on the screen and he gave it to them...for decades. I mean give the man credit for something! Wayne does hold the record for the most lead roles of any other american male actor. Right?  :) And Duke was humble too. Of himself he said that he did not act, he reacted. Duke certainly never went around painting himself as some junior Spencer Tracy.

Duke was Duke!

And the world takes notice to this day.

John Wayne! A childhood hero of Chuck Norris.  :P

23mtylv.jpg

Wow,  you handled that insult in a very nice way.       Yea,  if one doesn't feel Wayne is the greatest actor and greatest Ameican of all time,   it must be because Wayne was a conservative.  ;)   Give me a break!  

Certainly John Wayne is the most popular film icon of all time. His box office returns prove that much.  :D

Of course Wayne had limited range. That some sort of revelation from on high? :lol:  But obviously Wayne had an intuitive sense for what film genre was gonna work for him and Wayne did not have the advantage of studio contract status but yet achieved to this day what many would say was an unmatched degree of stardom. Wayne intuitively must've known what the public would respond to from him on the screen and he gave it to them.. for decades. I mean give the man credit for something! Wayne does hold the record for the most lead roles of any other male actor. Right?  :) And Duke was humble too. Of himself he said that he did not act, he reacted.

Were do I not give Wayne create for something?  To me Wayne was only OK as an actor but he was a star in many very good films and a few great westerns.      Because you wish to hero worship the guy you see demons where none exist.

You agree with me but put him on some BS level because why?! He couldn't walk straight and loved guns?! The reason he has 'reached stardom' in your opinion are the crash helmet wearers that think he symbolized more that mediocre acting. He's taken on mythic portions to knuckle-draggers everywhere that he is somehow some sort of symbol for America. It's the same drive that cause men with tiny junk to drive sports cars and own big guns... LOL. It's an ILLUSION, junior... LOL.

Richard Thomas can speak like over ten languages.  :)

Well, at least you concede Wayne's worlwide popularity as a film icon of America's strength, Very good. "Better." -Richard Burton, Nineteen Eighty-Four  :lol:

"If I say I fly and you say I fly, then I fly."

"You have the whole party behind you, Winston."

ett7xs.jpg

You agree with me but put him on some BS level because why?! He couldn't walk straight and loved guns?! The reason he has 'reached stardom' in your opinion are the crash helmet wearers that thing he symbolized more that mediocre acting. He's taken on mythic portions to knuckle-draggers everywhere that he is somehow some sort of symbol for America. It's the same drive that cause men with tiny junk to drive sports cars and own big guns... LOL. It's an ILLUSION, junior... LOL.

One reason Wayne reached stardom was because he didn't go off to war during the early 40s.    Wayne's career was just starting to take off.    Other actors like Jimmy Steward and Tyrone Power joined the service.     There was a concern that if Wayne went to war he might lose the momentum he was building with the public.    So a questionable medical reason was provided and Wayne continued to make movies.

Hey look, I landed on tcm and listened to Maureen O'Hara relate this story about herself and John Wayne at John Ford's house one day. I found it an amusing story for her to have imparted and wondered if anyone else had seen it. That's all.  :)

I think it is an amusing anecdote, but I'm sure that at the time it was not much fun for O'Hara at all. It's only in retrospect that it seems like a colourful little story, especially when one considers the reactions of the unsuspecting owners of the home.

I must say, however, that John Ford comes across as less than gallant by placing all of the responsibility of taking care of a large drunken actor on the shoulders (literally) of a woman. But then again, no real surprise either at that. After all, we are talking John Ford.

• Like 1

Personally, I still think the funniest story about John Wayne is the one told by Bruce Dern and the conversation those two had just before the scene in THE COWBOYS was to be filmed where Dern shots Duke in the back.

(...everybody comes away soundin' like they had a great sense of humor in that story)

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings