Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Agatha Christie movies

GenRipper66

Really stoked to catch 'And Then There Were None' today on TCM as well as other AC movies. My favorite is 'Witness for the Prosecution', but just curious what member's favorites are.

What's your favorite movie based on an Agatha Christie story?!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I just checked my recording of WITNESS FOR THE PROSECUTION.  When MGM remastered the picture they left off the tag after the End Cast - It was an admonishment to theater patrons "For the enjoyment of your friends and family, please do not reveal to them the secret of the ending of Witness for the Prosecution".  Even though it was meant for theaters, they could have left it on.  It's on the TV prints.  And, since this had the MGM distribution logos at head and tail, I assume the DVD is the same.

I just checked my recording of WITNESS FOR THE PROSECUTION.  When MGM remastered the picture they left off the tag after the End Cast - It was an admonishment to theater patrons "For the enjoyment of your friends and family, please do not reveal to them the secret of the ending of Witness for the Prosecution".  Even though it was meant for theaters, they could have left it on.  It's on the TV prints.  And, since this had the MGM distribution logos at head and tail, I assume the DVD is the same.

I remember that ad -- it was in all the print adverts for the film at the time. I guess it was more important when the film was in general release and many people were going to see it.

My MGM DVD has that admonishment during the closing credits, Ray:

"The management of this theatre suggests that for the greater entertainment of your friends who have not yet seen the picture you will not divulge to anyone the secret ending of Witness for the Prosecution."

I guess that means I can't even reveal it here - for those who are reading this thread but have not yet seen the film either.

What a great film, bar none, my favourite courtroom thriller. I recall reading that the ending was changed by Wilder, to some degree, from the Christie stage play, though I can't recall exactly what that change was.

I wonder if the ending is quite the same shocker today for a modern audience of filmgoers who have never seen Tyrone Power in a film before and know nothing about his well established screen image. I can just image the gasps that must have been emitted from audiences in 1957-58 at the final twists.

I watched this film again a few years ago, this time with a friend who had never seen it before. She is a great one for predicting endings, and was blurting out her various theories as to where this film was headed, as well. When the final twists hit the screen in Witness, she was yelling out loud, "WHAAAT? I didn't see that coming."

Wilder lured her in and fooled her, too - just like the rest of us. What a great film!

513888d2-243f-4531-a205-ea93aed61e85_zps

Here's a shot of Noel Coward visiting the set during production. Maybe Marlene's telling him, "No, Noel, dahhling, you'll just have to see the film for yourself if you want to know the ending."

What a great film! Oh, yeah, I said that already, didn't I?

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings