Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Actors and/or actresses you'd like to have had as a friend.

Dargo

The James Garner threads had me thinking of this, as it seems almost everybody "liked" Jimmy, and probably because as was stated many times in those threads, he never seemed pretentious and always seemed down to earth.

And no, I'm NOT talking in the vein of liking or appreciating their abilities to act well on-screen or even their typical screen "personality", but more about actors of the past who you'd think would or could have been a good friend in real life to you. Yep, that thought about someone who from what one has always "sensed" about then, AND even disregarding the possibilities of holding contrasting political and/or religious views from theirs, you'd STILL like to sit down have that proverbial drink with occasionally and "shot the breeze".

Okay, I'll start: James Garner, and for all the reasons people have mentioned in his tribute threads.

Sorry, couldn't help goin' the easy route here, but don't worry, I'm sure to mentioned a few others as this thread progresses.

(...oh, and btw, what say we try to stay away from offering up actors or actresses you would have liked to have "gotten it on with", 'cause not only would THAT be a different thought, but I'd already have dibs on Ava Gardner!) ;)

(...oh, and btw, what say we try to stay away from offering up actors or actresses you would have liked to have "gotten it on with", 'cause not only would THAT be a different thought, but I'd already have dibs on Ava Gardner!) ;)

Well if THAT thread pops up, you know who I have dibs on ;)

• Like 1

The James Garner threads had me thinking of this, as it seems almost everybody "liked" Jimmy, and probably because as was stated many times in those threads, he never seemed pretentious and always seemed down to earth.

And no, I'm NOT talking in the vein of liking or appreciating their abilities to act well on-screen or even their typical screen "personality", but more about actors of the past who you'd think would or could have been a good friend in real life to you. Yep, that thought about someone who from what one has always "sensed" about then, AND even disregarding the possibilities of holding contrasting political and/or religious views from theirs, you'd STILL like to sit down have that proverbial drink with occasionally and "shot the breeze".

Okay, I'll start: James Garner, and for all the reasons people have mentioned in his tribute threads.

Sorry, couldn't help goin' the easy route here, but don't worry, I'm sure to mentioned a few others as this thread progresses.

Well,.good thing that.Ava Gardner was never a one man woman for long. And as for the tie in to this thread,.in my youth I think I could've kept up with Ava and her nonstop partying a funseeking.

In all seriousness though, in response to Dargo's original inquiry:

I'd love to be friends with:

Debbie Reynolds.  She seems like a really sweet person who is funny to boot and has connections EVERYWHERE.  I feel like you'd get to meet a lot of other great people too.

Frank Sinatra.  Even if he seems like he'd be sort of a jerk, he also seems like the type that if you proved yourself as a good, loyal friend. He'd have your back.  Plus, he has connections to the mob and for some reason, that sounds like that'd be a handy quality to have in a friend.

Humphrey Bogart & Lauren Bacall- They'd seem like a great couple to be friends with.  Bogie and Bacall seem like no-nonsense people, they're straight to the point.  I like that.  From reading Bogart's son's biography on his father, Bogie seems similar to Sinatra in that, if you proved yourself a good friend and loyal, he'd also be a good friend back.  That's a good quality to have in a friend.  Plus, maybe I could be a member of the original Rat Pack. 

Errol Flynn and Buster Wiles. They'd seem like a couple of BFFs that you'd want to try and hang out with.  They sound like they have a blast together and like to play practical jokes.  Their jokes were usually always harmless and in my opinion, those are the best kind of practical jokes.  I wouldn't mind being part of their posse.  Plus, maybe after awhile, we could ditch Buster... Are friends with benefits allowed?  Lol ;)

I'm going to list people I would actually like to have hung around with. There are many people I'd like to have met (Groucho Marx, Oscar Levant, et al) but I'm sure would've eventually grated on my nerves.

-----

James Garner -- just a good ole boy from Oklahoma

David Niven -- An endless fund of great stories told with great charm

Peter Ustinov -- Perhaps even a greater raconteur than Niven

Noel Coward -- I think his relentlessly arch waspiness would get on my nerves pretty quickly, but he would be interesting for a while.

Errol Flynn -- Another I wavered on including, but he would've been fun to hang with. As long as I didn't depend on him for anything or loan him any money.

John Barrymore -- see Errol Flynn

I realize there are no females on my list. I'll let Errol bring them.

And this may be cheating, but I would love to have sat in with The Algonquin Round Table:

• Like 1

Well, Dargo, you took my top choice before I had even had the chance. NOT nice, Dargo!

Nevertheless, I will still pick James Garner anyway. All things said about this good ol' boy indicate that he was a down-to-earth, unaffected guy and a loyal friend.

Ann Sheridan - same reasons as Garner, only I would try my damnest to persuade her to give up the smokes

Gregory Peck and Jimmy Stewart - two people in which I think their screen personas largely reflect what they were like off screen. And I like their screen personas.

Finally, Errol Flynn - not as a friend, because I think he was too unreliable. However, aside from being a fun guy and a great raconteur (have to watch out for his practical jokes, though), Flynn was a highly intelligent man, one of cultured tastes (music, art, literature) and a bit of a philosopher when the mood struck him right. I think, if you caught him at the right time, that he would have been a fascinating conversationalist.

Wouldn't this be like making a friend with a non actor - you have to get to know them personally before making friends with them? :unsure:

I've learned that what you see on the big screen doesn't turn out as one hopes. (Fantasy vs reality) One example is Jan-Micheal Vincent, he appears cool in movies and on "Airwolf" but turned out to be a real jerk in real life. 

Jane Fonda- I read her blogs, we have a lot in common life journey wise, and I think she would be fabulous to have a dinner party.

Katharine Hepburn- very down-to-earth individual who is interested in people, not really interested in herself among people. 

Sidney Poitier- he can talk real, as he has been for his entire life. 

Liza Minnelli- she may easily be the eccentric, but she can talk real and has the social graces of someone who could be easily be comfortable in a bar as much as she is comfortable at a party.

Diahann Carroll- she has airs, but she also has a good conscience and from what I hear, she's a great conversationalist.

James Stewart- he just seems like the kind of person who would. 

Wouldn't this be like making a friend with a non actor - you have to get to know them personally before making friends with them? :unsure:

I've learned that what you see on the big screen doesn't turn out as one hopes. (Fantasy vs reality) One example is Jan-Micheal Vincent, he appears cool in movies and on "Airwolf" but turned out to be a real jerk in real life. 

Ham, remember, I asked more for peoples' "impression" of the stars and not necessarily from their usual film personas, but more the "sense" you get about them from what you heard or maybe have read about them in an autobiography or biography.

Yes, I realize even from these sorts of references one may still not get a truly accurate depiction of what they were like away from the camera, but I still believe one can get an close idea as to their true disposition and if they'd be a person which people would like to have had as a friend.

Jean Harlow and Carole Lombard. From everything I've read about them they were very warm, personable, kind hearted and giving. Never read about anyone ever saying a bad word about them.

On their movie sets they were always giving attention to the crew. They were among the most beloved

actresses of all time.

Jean Harlow and Carole Lombard. From everything I've read about them they were very warm, personable, kind hearted and giving. Never read about anyone ever saying a bad word about them.

On their movie sets they were always giving attention to the crew. They were among the most beloved

actresses of all time.

Barbara Stanwyck was also noted for being extremely nice to film crews and very down-to-earth.

Funny, but for years I wasn't a big Stanwyck fan(though I always loved her performance in "Stella Dallas") but since I've started watching more of her films on TCM, and especially learning more about her off-screen persona, I've come to realize why so many people think so highly of her.

(...and so, I think I'll add Babs to my "friend list" here)

James Stewart- he just seems like the kind of person who would. 

Yeah hep. AND, if ya had a piano at your place, you'd probably could have easily talked Jimmy into playin' his famous rendition of "Ragtime Cowboy Joe"! ;)

(...yeah, I'd place Jimmy on my friends list in a heartbeat too...though of course, once he'd get started on a story and being the somewhat impatient sort that I am, I'd have a hell of time keeping myself from helping finishing his sentences!) 

• Like 1

Some years ago I had a conversation with a man at a car show, very nice fellow, down to earth. He told me about a chance meeting he had with Robert Duvall, they were both at some outdoor camping sight/lodge.  Duvall was just there as a  guest, the two men had  a conversation and became friends. For years after the two guys would be regulars at the lodge and go fishing together.

Yeah hep. AND, if ya had a piano at your place, you'd probably could have easily talked Jimmy into playin' his famous rendition of "Ragtime Cowboy Joe"! ;)

(...yeah, I'd place Jimmy on my friends list in a heartbeat too...though of course, once he'd get started on a story and being the somewhat impatient sort that I am, I'd have a hell of time keeping myself from helping finishing his sentences!) 

I forgot Ruby Dee and Estelle Parsons, both of whom I met and could see myself socializing with. 

• Like 1

I forgot Ruby Dee and Estelle Parsons, both of whom I met and could see myself socializing with.

Okay, cancel all my previous choices and substitute Ruby Dee, Ossie Davis and Diana Sands.  My late aunt knew Sands when she was starring in the Broadway version of The Owl and the Pussycat, and said she was a terrific and interesting person. 

And if I get a fourth choice, I'd make it Lorraine Hansberry, even though she was a playwright and writer rather than an actress. I'd begin by asking them all to start talking about one of Lorraine's final books before her tragic early death, and let the conversation flow from there.

3240620.jpg

• Like 1

I'd like to add one more to my list:

carole-lombard.jpg

I'm referring to the one on the left, though the one on the right would probably have been OK too.

This would have been one great fun down-to-earth lady to have known! Everyone who knew her loved her.

• Like 2

There are some really great choices listed already and I will have to admit to a special fondness for Jimmy Stewart, Gregory Peck, and one that I am particularly fond of, Carole Lombard (beautiful, smart, and incredibly down-to-earth).

Some others I would like to have known: Humphrey Bogart, Cary Grant, Paulette Goddard, Judy Holliday, and last but not least, Jack Lemmon.