Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
TopBilled

Looking back on TCM schedules...

Hi everyone--

I've been wanting to post old schedules for historical value. What do you think?

When I search for TCM schedules from more than three months ago on the internet, I find that most of the old links are no longer any good. Also, since the website upgrade here, a lot of threads that covered old schedules seem to have been lost.  I think TCM's programming history is important, and I want to help preserve it.

Here is what I have done so far-- I have found some old Word files I made containing prior schedules; I have found some of calvinnme's old 'Vast Majority of the schedule for...' threads (though calvin stopped doing those and there are occasional gaps or a lack of updates when programming was changed at the last minute); and I have found posts on various blogs (including the Democratic Underground website) that help fill in some of the gaps.

I would like to present this information by season (we are currently in Season 21 for TCM, if each calendar year can be called a season).

I was going to start this under the Stickies area since this could be considered helpful TCM info, but that did not seem exactly right. Maybe the TCM Moderator can help us create a separate, easy-to-find area for this idea, under TCM Programs. If so, then this thread can be moved over there, where many people can use it as sort of a reference guide. 

I have schedule information for all of 2012, all of 2013 and all of 2014 (so far) which is only a tiny fraction of TCM's programming history. If anyone has information from 1994 to 2011 (possibly from past issues of Now Playing magazine) that would be extremely helpful.

Thanks for your interest!

TopBilled

I've got complete schedules in Word documents going back to November of 2009, though I never bothered to update them for changes.  I've also got nearly every issue of Now Playing going back to 1999 (you can buy these from TCM for $2.00 to $2.50 each), but unless someone in the DC area had the time to convert print to digital, about all they'd be good for would be for answering specific questions on a very limited number of topics, such as "Did such-and-such movie play in March of 2006?"

OTOH if anyone can tell me an EASY and low-tech way to transmit my 2009-2011 complete schedule Word documents to these forums, I'd be more than willing to share them.

• Like 1

I've got complete schedules in Word documents going back to November of 2009, though I never bothered to update them for changes.  I've also got nearly every issue of Now Playing going back to 1999 (you can buy these from TCM for $2.00 to $2.50 each), but unless someone in the DC area had the time to convert print to digital, about all they'd be good for would be for answering specific questions on a very limited number of topics, such as "Did such-and-such movie play in March of 2006?"

OTOH if anyone can tell me an EASY and low-tech way to transmit my 2009-2011 complete schedule Word documents to these forums, I'd be more than willing to share them.

Thank you Andy for your willingness to help with this idea. 

I just sent you a Private Message about how we can post this information...

TB, check your inbox.  I just replied to your PM.

I didn't receive anything (yet). Are you sure it 'sent' ?

TB, I replied to the TCM message board at 2:19, and yes, it did get sent.  That's what I meant by "inbox". 

TB, I replied to the TCM message board at 2:19, and yes, it did get sent.  That's what I meant by "inbox". 

I never received it. My inbox is currently empty. Can you try resending it please. 

Please try this URL I found: http://www.angelfire.com/mn/nn/TCM.html

If you scroll to the bottom of the page, you can select prior months and years schedules.

Also, I was able to pull up the January 2007 schedule by changing the year in the URL, after selecting any month other than the current (default) one. You can probably go back before 2007.

Hope this helps.

If you scroll to the bottom of the page, you can select prior months and years schedules.

Also, I was able to pull up the January 2007 schedule by changing the year in the URL, after selecting any month other than the current (default) one. You can probably go back before 2007.

Hope this helps.

Great stuff. Thanks so much!  By changing the year and month in the URL, I was able to go back to November 2005 so at least that is more information. We still don't have the first 11 1/2 years, but still this is very good.

Please try this URL I found: http://www.angelfire.../mn/nn/TCM.html

Good link, but anyone who uses it should make sure to notice the small print, which indicates that it's geared to the Pacific Time Zone, where 14.1% of the U.S. population currently resides.

Please try this URL I found: http://www.angelfire.../mn/nn/TCM.html

Good link, but anyone who uses it should make sure to notice the small print, which indicates that it's geared to the Pacific Time Zone, where 14.1% of the U.S. population currently resides.

Good point. The formatting is awful, though. At least the information is there, but it is going to take some work to reformat or retype it all.

I thank you for posting that link. I had visited that site previously for information but many of the older urls were 404 and so I decided then to return to explore the site more fully at a later time. It is sad to say that I never did that. Your posting of url prompted me to revisit the site and expend more effort clicking all links and 'adjusting' urls to find pages for which I could find no links.

I was able to find all of 2004 to present.

I found all of 2003 with sole exception of March.

I found nine months of 2002.

I could find only January and February of 2001.

I found seven months of 2000. 

The earliest which I could find is: March, 2000.

http://www.angelfire.com/nm/daylite/TCM3.html

• Like 1

This is how I am formatting it-- an example from May 2, 2012-- every film that aired on TCM during the given day, with information about the primetime theme if is known:

Wednesday May 2

6:45 a.m. Granny Get Your Gun (1940)

8:00 a.m. Strangers All (1935)

9:15 a.m. Never Let Me Go (1953)

10:45 a.m. The Young Lovers (1954)

12:30 p.m. Escape from the Iron Curtain (1957)

1:45 p.m. The Vintage (1957)

3:30 p.m. I Bury the Living (1958)

5:00 p.m. My Fair Lady (1964)

STAR OF THE MONTH JOEL MCCREA

8:00 p.m. Sullivan’s Travels (1941)

9:45 p.m. The Palm Beach Story (1942)

11:30 p.m. The More the Merrier (1943)

1:30 a.m. The Richest Girl in the World (1934)

3:00 a.m. Woman Chases Man (1937)

4:15 a.m. Bed of Roses (1933)

There is an option to attach files to a post. The limit is 2.71MB. It is available using the: "Attach Files" segment beneath the standard reply box.

It might be best to convert them to .pdf files so that there are no compatibility issues. Word is notorious for using non-standard formatting commands so that documents are not readable with other software or even earlier versions of Word.

You can use a simple program such as: CutePDF to convert them to .pdf.

You can download CutePDF Writer at no cost from:

http://www.cutepdf.com/

It is simple to download and install and use. The conversion process is to simply open your document in Word and print it with: CutePDF as the selected printer. This will create the .pdf document.

Curious about status of this project.  I have some old beg/end comments that I would like to try to figure out their broadcast date.   FWIW, I've been converting monthly schedules to Excel 97 for the last 4 or 5 years, but these comments predate that.

Curious about status of this project.  I have some old beg/end comments that I would like to try to figure out their broadcast date.   FWIW, I've been converting monthly schedules to Excel 97 for the last 4 or 5 years, but these comments predate that.

Hi diane, thanks for the interest.

I will tell you what's happening. I am focusing on the schedules for all of 2012, 2013, and (when we learn about December) all of 2014. This is much more time-consuming than I anticipated. In the weeks ahead, I will start posting the daily schedules from January 2012 forward.

If someone else wants to go back and do the earlier years, have at it!