Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Buffalo Bill with Joel McCrea tonite!

NipkowDisc

Most impressed with tonite's schedule I be. Finally finally tcm has broken out Joel McCrea's technicolor Buffalo Bill from 1944. I certainly will be watching and enjoying that. When tcm schedules something good, they deserve acknowledgment. For this and The Wings of Eagles later on I heartily say Very good, tcm, you win a cookie.  :) 
I love that line, Don Rickles says it at the end of Kelly's Heroes.  :D

25hoidw.jpg

Also glad it's airing.

I'd like to see them bring it back for a double-feature with ANNIE OAKLEY or ANNIE GET YOUR GUN.

For trivia buffs: Moroni Olsen, who plays Buffalo Bill in ANNIE OAKLEY, appears in BUFFALO BILL as a Senator.  Louis Calhern takes the part of Bill in ANNIE GET YOUR GUN.

I directed an interview back in 1974 with "Wild Bill" Wellman and he talked about "Buffalo Bill" and he said that he and { I think Ben Hecht } wanted to do a film on B.B., but the true story. He said that when they finished the script they sat down and read the thing and looked at each other and said that there was no way they were going to do this script, so they white washed it and that's the version we know. He said when that kid stood up at the end of the film and shouted "We love you, Buffalo Bill", or something to that effect ,that he wanted to throw up, He spoke of his last film "The Lafayette Escadrille", a very personal film for him. How he wanted David Janssen  {who had a small part in the film}, but Jack Warner wanted Tab Hunter and after the filming took control of the editing and as far as he {Wellman} was concerned ruined the picture. So her said "**** You" to Jack Warner and walked out of the studio and never directed another film...

This was 1 of 2 films that Wellman agreed to direct no questions asked for Zanuck if he was able to direct "The OX-Bow Incident", The other being "ThunderBirds"

• Like 2

I directed an interview back in 1974 with "Wild Bill" Wellman and he talked about "Buffalo Bill" and he said that he and { I think Ben Hecht } wanted to do a film on B.B., but the true story. He said that when they finished the script they sat down and read the thing and looked at each other and said that there was no way they were going to do this script, so they white washed it and that's the version we know. He said when that kid stood up at the end of the film and shouted "We love you, Buffalo Bill", or something to that effect ,that he wanted to throw up, He spoke of his last film "The Lafayette Escadrille", a very personal film for him. How he wanted David Janssen  {who had a small part in the film}, but Jack Warner wanted Tab Hunter and after the filming took control of the editing and as far as he {Wellman} was concerned ruined the picture. So her said "**** You" to Jack Warner and walked out of the studio and never directed another film...

This was 1 of 2 films that Wellman agreed to direct no questions asked for Zanuck if he was able to direct "The OX-Bow Incident", The other being "ThunderBirds"

It's a pretty lousy biopic. I was glad to see it again after so many years but yecch! The film never makes clear whether or not Linda Darnell's indian maiden is sweet on BB but I guess she was and Edgar Buchanan's chips is positively annoying. There is absolutely no real drama and wasting technicolor on such a bland western is really dumb if you ask me...and the audience is suppose to find it just so darn amusing that chips won't give Bill his mail before any and all official military personnel. Yeah, I was really guffawing at that.

• Like 1

I directed an interview back in 1974 with "Wild Bill" Wellman

You directed The Men Who Made The Movies?

and he talked about "Buffalo Bill" and he said that he and { I think Ben Hecht } wanted to do a film on B.B., but the true story.

IIRC it was Gene Fowler, a member of the Fields-Barrymore circle; he wrote several fascinating books about the group as well as other biographies like Beau James.

Fowler had actually known Buffalo Bill when he was a newspaperman before WWI.

e had people directed The Men Who Made The Movies?

IIRC it was Gene Fowler, a member of the Fields-Barrymore circle; he wrote several fascinating books about the group as well as other biographies like Beau James.

Fowler had actually known Buffalo Bill when he was a newspaperman before WWI.

No,I wish I had.  It was a local interview series we did on Ch.52 around 1973/74 called"The Movie Makers".We people like Mervyn LeRoy, Allen Jenkins,Leslie Caron,Moe Howard, Richard Lester, Darla Hood. Most of them were promoting their books....

Fowler's most famous book was on John Barrymore, called "Good Night, Sweet Prince"...

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings