Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Lust for Life

NipkowDisc

This thursday at eight. My favorite tcm pet movie. I don't care how many times they show this one. Douglas is always a howl as the tortured Vincent Van Gogh. He really succeeds in getting on Paul Gauguin's (Anthony Quinn) nerves. :lol:

2najkad.jpg

This thursday at eight. My favorite tcm pet movie. I don't care how many times they show this one. Douglas is always a howl as the tortured Vincent Van Gogh. He really succeeds in getting on Paul Gauguin's (Anthony Quinn) nerves. :lol:

Yes,  Van Gogh gave Gauguin an ear full. 

"Minnelli was the ideal choice to bring the story to the screen. A former stage designer known for his visual style that mirrored and amplified the dramatic story of each of his films, he was the right match for a movie about a painter."

-Gotta agree there, the visual style and detailing of the scenes to resemble Van Gogh's paintings was quite remarkable...

"Kirk Douglas wanted to play Van Gogh ever since director Jean Negulesco told him he resembled the artist. He threw himself into the role, to the point of taking on so many of the artist's stormy, unstable traits he frightened his wife in his off-hours at home."

-thought this was one of Douglas' best roles and certainly Oscar-worthy. Though Yul Brynner won that year for "King and I", which was also great.

(Okay, this last remark has been moved to a separate thread...) :)

One thing I've always wondered, is if an actor who's done a part on the stage and has had months or years to perfect his part in front of a live audience, should be given the same award consideration as an actor who's got one chance on film, AND whose performance is affected by the director and film editor ??

(just a thought)

I'm off cable until football seasons (six weeks!) but I may try and get this from NetF if they have it. It's been awhile since I've seen this but Kirk is very good, I remember that much. Kirk Douglas is not my favorite but he is an extremely good actor, one of the most reliable actors ever, he never comes off badly, ever! There is only one movie where I have reservations and I'm quite sure it wasn't his fault, it was the director's IMO. I have found that playing real people (biopics) can be challenging for some actors, especially those who fall in the category of pretty-boy leading men (and women counterparts in the same vein) who essentially act themselves in most of what they do. When called upon to be somebody else (somebody real, for instance), they falter. Look at Clark Gable in Parnell. Or Jack Nicholson's Hoffa. I may have to go back and have a look at both of those again but I don't remember being impresses with either of them. But Kirk nails it with Van Gogh. IMO.

• 3 weeks later...

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings