Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Any ideas who will be November's SOTM?

TopBilled

These folks were born in November 1914:

Norman Lloyd (still living)

Martin Balsam

Robert Alda

I sure hope we don't get the idea that 100th anniversaries obligate TCM to give SOTM honors to actors who otherwise would rate a SUTS day at best.  The idea of giving a SOTM to any of these three while far more significant actors such as George Sanders and Susan Hayward still haven't gotten the call would be frankly hard to comprehend.

Norman Lloyd's acting career lasted for twelve whole years before he was blacklisted, during which he averaged fewer than two films per year.  Many of them would be worth making into a SUTS day, or even better an interview along with a day's worth of his films to be shown on his 100th birthday, but SOTM should be reserved either for genuine stars or secondary actors with a much longer repertory to choose among.

And BTW that Maureen O'Hara interview must have shown about 10 times a day since the beginning of the month, or at least it sure seems like it.   She was undoubtedly a star and seems like a very nice lady, but this really strikes me as overkill.  I can't recall this level of saturation for any other actor or actress, living or otherwise.

These folks were born in November 1914:

Norman Lloyd (still living)

Martin Balsam

Robert Alda

I sure hope we don't get the idea that 100th anniversaries obligate TCM to give SOTM honors to actors who otherwise would rate a SUTS day at best.  The idea of giving a SOTM to any of these three while far more significant actors such as George Sanders and Susan Hayward still haven't gotten the call would be frankly hard to comprehend.

Norman Lloyd's acting career lasted for twelve whole years before he was blacklisted, during which he averaged fewer than two films per year.  Many of them would be worth making into a SUTS day, or even better an interview along with a day's worth of his films to be shown on his 100th birthday, but SOTM should be reserved either for genuine stars or secondary actors with a much longer repertory to choose among.

And BTW that Maureen O'Hara interview must have shown about 10 times a day since the beginning of the month, or at least it sure seems like it.   She was undoubtedly a star and seems like a very nice lady, but this really strikes me as overkill.  I can't recall this level of saturation for any other actor or actress, living or otherwise.

I listed those three to get the conversation started. Balsam is a particular favorite of the programmers, and it is not out of the realm of possibility that he might be honored.  

Re: Sanders and Hayward. I enjoy many of their films, and I can see how they are good candidates-- but sometimes there is a big gap between who should be SOTM and who in actuality will be SOTM. 

Hard for me to guess who TCM will pick.   As you noted who they pick relates more to what films they have available and other factors then who we feel deserves to be SOTM.

But maybe it will be someone that has died in the last year or so.   I was thinking Joan Fontaine but she might have been SOTM in the last year or so (the master list I have ends at June 2013 with Eleanor Parker).

But maybe it will be someone that has died in the last year or so.   I was thinking Joan Fontaine but she might have been SOTM in the last year or so (the master list I have ends at June 2013 with Eleanor Parker).

Peter O'Toole has never been SOTM. I don't think it's out of the question that he might be picked, even though he's somewhat more modern than most SOTM selections.

Similarly, Omar Sharif would be a good choice for variety of films. They could get in a lot of his early Egyptian films as premieres (though we'd have to put up with the usual 3 hour David Lean things and Funny Girl again, probably), and not to mention it would be honoring someone who is actually alive. They don't seem to think of doing that whole lot, unless it means picking Doris Day for the umpteenth time.

Peter O'Toole has never been SOTM. I don't think it's out of the question that he might be picked, even though he's somewhat more modern than most SOTM selections.

Similarly, Omar Sharif would be a good choice for variety of films. They could get in a lot of his early Egyptian films as premieres (though we'd have to put up with the usual 3 hour David Lean things and Funny Girl again, probably), and not to mention it would be honoring someone who is actually alive. They don't seem to think of doing that whole lot, unless it means picking Doris Day for the umpteenth time.

My guess is that we will get someone a bit more modern-- they usually pick someone in January who goes back to the silent era (before screening a bunch of recent classics during the 31 Days of Oscar).  So I don't think it would be too much to expect that someone who didn't come on to the scene until the late 50s or early 60s would be honored in the meantime.

Well don't forget about O'Hara.    To me there is a relationship between her being at the TCM event and her being SOTM after the event.  (not that O'Hara didn't have solid enough film legacy to be SOTM).

Well don't forget about O'Hara.    To me there is a relationship between her being at the TCM event and her being SOTM after the event.  (not that O'Hara didn't have solid enough film legacy to be SOTM).

And for this reason (being a friend of TCM) I expect to see Eva Marie Saint or Shirley Jones get their month-long retrospectives in the next year or so.

I agree.  It has been shown ad nauseum.  The first 10 times were fine but, give us a break!  I wish they had done a "normal" promo for her month as they generally do (clips of films with the voiceover of a celeb admirer) but clearly they cheaper out on that in favor of repeating this interview a zillion times.  Take heart, folks.  The month is nearly over.

• Like 1

imgres19.jpg

The one that I think should be selected, because she has classics in every decade from the 1940s to the 1990s, and she hasn't been honored yet-- is Shelley Winters. She received two Oscars, she worked in all genres, she had a very colorful off-screen life, and younger audiences know her from Roseanne. But I think TCM should save her for next October, and devote one night of programming to the shlock-y horror films she made in the 70s.

images-13.jpg

Any one else on board with this idea?

If you want to know who will be a likely SOTM, just peruse the list of celebs who either participate at a TCM event (Cruise/Film Festival) or someone that might be close to death.  God forbid that TCM would choose an actor/actress just because he/she was deserving.  How many times has Doris Day been SOTM?? 3?? 4??  And they haven't selected George Sanders yet??

I would be just fine with James Garner as SOTM before year's end but there are so many

worthy 1st time candidates that deserve the recognition.  Hmm.  Alex Trebek will be on 

the cruise.  Do you think they'll figure out a way to make him SOTM???  "Jeopardy" 24 hours/day

once a week on TCM.

Lydecker

• Like 1

If you want to know who will be a likely SOTM, just peruse the list of celebs who either participate at a TCM event (Cruise/Film Festival) or someone that might be close to death.  God forbid that TCM would choose an actor/actress just because he/she was deserving.

Here's a list of the "Special Guests" actors and actresses for the upcoming TCM Cruise in October:

Shirley Jones

Richard Dreyfuss

Tab Hunter

Ann Blyth

Diane Baker

Illeana Douglas

How many times has Doris Day been SOTM?? 3?? 4??  

Doris Day has been SOTM 3 times, in October of 1995, January of 2003, and April of 2012.  She's had 5 SUTS days since that feature was launched in 2003: In 2003, 2004, 2006, 2008, and again in 2013.

And they haven't selected George Sanders yet??

Nope, not for SOTM or for a SUTS day.  What is it about bubble gum movies that so fascinates these people, and yet leaves an accomplish actor with a terrific resume like Sanders out in the cold?  Did he do something to offend someone at some point that we don't know about?

• Like 3

If you want to know who will be a likely SOTM, just peruse the list of celebs who either participate at a TCM event (Cruise/Film Festival) or someone that might be close to death.  God forbid that TCM would choose an actor/actress just because he/she was deserving.

Here's a list of the "Special Guests" actors and actresses for the upcoming TCM Cruise in October:

Shirley Jones

Richard Dreyfuss

Tab Hunter

Ann Blyth

Diane Baker

Illeana Douglas

Doris Day has been SOTM 3 times, in October of 1995, January of 2003, and April of 2012.  She's had 5 SUTS days since that feature was launched in 2003: In 2003, 2004, 2006, 2008, and again in 2013.

Nope, not for SOTM or for a SUTS day.  What is it about bubble gum movies that so fascinates these people, and yet leaves an accomplish actor with a terrific resume like Sanders out in the cold?  Did he do something to offend someone at some point that we don't know about?

..and if someone participated in a TCM event AND might be close to death, they're a lock.

• Like 1

Shirley Jones

Richard Dreyfuss

Tab Hunter

Ann Blyth

Diane Baker

Illeana Douglas

Again,   Sauders wasn't a star (lead male actor),  in the vast majority of the high quality movies he was in.

Ok,  you may think the above is a bogus reason for not having Sanders as SOTM but it makes more sense then any reason you have provided to date. 

I recall vividly 'discovering' TCM for the first time while channeling surfing at its inception and remember that Doris Day was SOTM. Based on where I was at that time in my life, this would be either April or May, 1994. Andy, if you have the resource, could you check this? I would swear that she was SOTM back then, probably May 1994. Possible?

I recall vividly 'discovering' TCM for the first time while channeling surfing at its inception and remember that Doris Day was SOTM. Based on where I was at that time in my life, this would be either April or May, 1994. Andy, if you have the resource, could you check this? I would swear that she was SOTM back then, probably May 1994. Possible?

What I have for SOTM (which I got from someone at this forum),  for the first date is different.  Here is what I found:

April 1995 and NOT October 1995  (I show Clark Gable for that month and year)

(Deleted repetitive part of post. I was writing simultaneously with James.)

Here's the SOTM history thread from the Stickies (helpful TCM info) forum.

http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/48413-star-of-the-month-summer-under-the-stars-honorees/

It's easy to check is someone has been SOTM in the past by using the "find" function on your computer, which is Ctrl + F on my keyboard. Whether the trigger differs from PC to PC is beyond my knowledge.

What I have for SOTM (which I got from someone at this forum),  for the first date is different.  Here is what I found:

April 1995 and NOT October 1995  (I show Clark Gable for that month and year)

I'm still wrong, but that sounds better. I was a year off. And I do at that time remember that her SOTM took place during her birth month, which is indeed April. Thanks, James.

Glad to oblige.  Here's the complete list of SOTM honorees up through this month's Maureen O'Hara.  I'll post the SUTS choices in a minute.

STAR OF THE MONTH:

May 1994: Greta Garbo
June 1994: Glenn Ford
July 1994: Greer Garson
Aug.1994: Edward G. Robinson
Sept.1994: Barbara Stanwyck
Oct.1994: Angela Lansbury
Nov.1994 John Garfield
Dec.1994: Best of ‘94

Jan.1995: Esther Williams
Feb.1995: Ronald Reagan
Mar.1995: TCM Salutes the Oscars
Apr.1995: Doris Day
May 1995: Myrna Loy
June 1995: Errol Flynn
July 1995: Gene Kelly
Aug.1995: Paul Muni
Sept.1995: Jane Powell
Oct.1995: Clark Gable
Nov.1995: Barrymores
Dec.1995: Best of ‘95

Jan.1996: Deborah Kerr
Feb.1996: Robert Young
Mar.1996: 31 Days of Oscar
April 1996: Irene Dunne
May 1996: James Stewart
June 1996: Rosalind Russell
July 1996: Fred Astaire
Aug.1996: Ann Sheridan
Sept.1996: Van Johnson
Oct.1996: Kathryn Grayson
Nov.1996: Robert Mitchum
Dec.1996: Best of ‘96

Jan.97: Humphrey Bogart
Feb.97: Eleanor Parker
Mar.97: 31 Days of Oscar
Apr.97: Ava Gardner
May 97: George Brent
June 97: June Allyson
July 97: John and Walter Huston (also Director of the Month)
Aug.97: Cary Grant
Sept.97: Ida Lupino
Oct.97: Walter Pidgeon
Nov.97: Katharine Hepburn
Dec.97: Best of ‘97

Jan.1998: Lana Turner
Feb.1998: Charlton Heston
Mar.1998:31 Days of Oscar
April 1998: Red Skelton
May 1998: Olivia de Havilland
June 1998: James Cagney
July 1998: Lucille Ball
August 1998: Joan Crawford
Sept.1998: John Wayne
Oct.1998: Cyd Charisse
Nov.1998: Claude Rains
Dec.1998: Best of ‘98

Jan.1999: Elizabeth Taylor
Feb.1999: William Powell
March 1999: 31 Days of Oscar (probably)
April 1999: Dennis Morgan
May 1999: Bette Davis
June 1999: Mickey Rooney
July1999: Natalie Wood
August 1999: Peter Sellers
Sept.1999: Norma Shearer
Oct. 1999: Gregory Peck
Nov. 1999: Ginger Rogers
Dec. 1999: Burt Lancaster

Jan. 2000: Debbie Reynolds
Feb. 2000: Robert Ryan
March 2000: 31 Days of Oscars (probably)
April 2000: Spencer Tracy
May 2000: Alexis Smith
June 2000:Wallace Beery
July 2000: Judy Garland
August 2000: film debuts
Sept 2000: Jane Wyman
October 2000: Dick Powell
Nov 2000: Frank Sinatra
Dec. 2000: Lauren Bacall

Jan. 2001: Elvis Presley
Feb.2001: Jean Hagen
March 2001: 31 Days of Oscar (probably)
Apr.2001: Knighted Actors
May 2001: Jean Harlow
June 2001: W.C. Fields
July 2001: Ann Sothern
Aug.2001: James Garner
Sept. 2001: Robert Taylor
Oct. 2001: Lana Turner
Nov.2001: Glenn Ford
Dec.2001: The Marx Brothers

Jan. 2002: Marlene Dietrich
Feb. 2002: Kirk Douglas
March 2002: 31 Days of Oscar
April 2002: Barbara Stanwyck
May 2002: Edward G. Robinson
June 2002: Greta Garbo
July 2002: Sidney Poitier
Aug. 2002: Joan Crawford
Sept. 2002: Van Heflin
Oct. 2002: Final films
Nov. 2002: Shelly Winters
Dec. 2002: Montgomery Clift

Jan. 2003: Doris Day
Feb. 2003: John Garfield
Mar. 2003: 31 Days of Oscar
Apr. 2003: Harold Lloyd
May 2003: Olivia de Havilland
June 2003: TV Actors in Films
July 2003: Lee Marvin
Aug. 2003: 1st Summer Under the Stars (See bottom of page for complete list)
Sept. 2003: James Mason
Oct. 2003: Boris Karloff
Nov. 2003: Shirley MacLaine
Dec. 2003: David Niven

Jan. 2004: Katherine Hepburn
Feb.2004: 31 Days of Oscar
Mar.2004: Charles Chaplin
Apr. 2004: Judy Garland
May 2004: Greer Garson
June 2004: Cary Grant
July 2004: Stars That Died Before Their Time
Aug.2004: 2nd Summer Under the Stars (See bottom of page for complete list)
Sept.2004: Myrna Loy
Oct. 2004: Peter Lorre
Nov.2004: Clark Gable
Dec. 2004: James Stewart

Jan.2005: Canadian Actors
Feb. 2005: 31 Days of Oscar
Mar. 2005: Claudette Colbert
Apr. 2005: Errol Flynn
May 2005: Orson Welles
June 2005: Ingrid Bergman
July 2005: Audrey Hepburn
Aug. 2005: 3rd Summer Under the Stars (See bottom of page for complete list)

Sept.2005: Greta Garbo
Oct.2005: Robert Mitchum
Nov.2005: Joan Fontaine
Dec. 2005: Bing Crosby

Jan. 2006: Robert Montgomery
Feb.2006: 31 Days of Oscar
Mar.2006: Nelson Eddy & Jeanette MacDonald
Apr.2006: Deborah Kerr
May 2006: Bette Davis
June 2006: Anthony Quinn
July 2006: Elizabeth Taylor
Aug.2006: 4th Summer Under the Stars (See bottom of page for complete list)
Sept.2006: William Holden
Oct.2006: Child Stars
Nov.2006: Lucille Ball
Dec. 2006: Gary Cooper

Jan.2007: Jean Arthur
Feb.2007: 31 Days of Oscar
Mar.2007: Gene Kelly
Apr.2007: Rita Hayworth
May 2007: John Wayne and Katherine Hepburn
June 2007: Ida Lupino
July 2007: Randolph Scott
Aug.2007: 5th Summer Under the Stars (See bottom of page for complete list)
Sept.2007: A Star is Born (starmaking/breakthrough performances)
Oct.2007: Henry Fonda
Nov.2007: Guest Programmer Month
Dec.2007: Irene Dunne

Jan.2008: James Cagney
Feb.2008: 31 Days of Oscar
Mar.2008: Acting Dynasties
Apr.2008: Hedy Lamarr
May 2008: Frank Sinatra
June 2008: Sophia Loren
July 2008: Rosalind Russell
Aug.2008: 6th annual Summer Under the Stars (See bottom of page for complete list)
Sept.2008: Kay Francis
Oct.2008: Carole Lombard
Nov.2008: Charles Laughton
Dec. 2008: Joseph Cotten

Jan. 2009: Jack Lemmon
Feb. 2009: 31 Days of Oscar
Mar. 2009: Ronald Reagan
April 2009: Funny Ladies and 15th Anniversary
May 2009: Sean Connery
June 2009: Great Directors
July 2009: Stewart Granger
August 2009: Summer Under the Stars (See bottom of page for complete list)
Sept. 2009: Claude Rains
Oct. 2009: Leslie Caron
Nov. 2009: Grace Kelly
Dec. 2009: Humphrey Bogart

Jan. 2010: “The Method”
Feb. 2010: 31 Days of Oscar
March 2010: Ginger Rogers
April 2010: Robert Taylor
May 2010: Donna Reed
June 2010: Natalie Wood
July 2010: Gregory Peck
August 2010: Summer Under The Stars (SUTS) (See bottom of page for complete list)
Sept. 2010: Vivien Leigh
Oct. 2010: Fredric March
Nov. 2010: Ava Gardner
Dec. 2010: Mickey Rooney

Jan. 2011: Peter Sellers
Feb. 2011: 31 Days of Oscar
March 2011: Jean Harlow
April 2011: Ray Milland
May 2011: Esther Williams
June 2011: Jean Simmons
July 2011: Singing Cowboys
August 2011: Summer Under The Stars (SUTS) (See bottom of page for complete list)
Sept. 2011: Kirk Douglas
Oct. 2011: Buster Keaton
Nov. 2011: Battle of the Blonds
Dec. 2011: William Powell

Jan. 2012:  Angela Lansbury

Feb. 2012:  31 Days of Oscar

Mar. 2012:  Karl Malden

April 2012:  Doris Day

May 2012:  Joel McCrea

June 2012:  Teen Idols

July 2012:  Leslie Howard

August 2012: Summer Under The Stars (SUTS) (See bottom of page for complete list)
Sept. 2012: Lauren Bacall

Oct. 2012: Spencer Tracy

Nov. 2012:  Constance Bennett

Dec. 2012: Barbara Stanwyck

Jan. 2013: Loretta Young

Feb. 2013: 31 Days of Oscar

Mar. 2013: Greer Garson

April 2013: Laurence Olivier

May 2013: Tough Guys

June 2013: Eleanor Parker

July 2013:  Paul Henreid

August 2013:  Summer Under The Stars (SUTS) (See bottom of page for complete list)

September 2013: Kim Novak

October 2013: Vincent Price

November 2013: Burt Lancaster

December 2013: Fred Astaire

January 2014: Joan Crawford

Feb. 2014: 31 Days of Oscar

Mar. 2014: Mary Astor

April 2014: John Wayne

May 2014: June Allyson

June 2014: Rock Hudson

July 2014: Maureen O’Hara

And here are the SUTS honorees up through 2013.  I haven't yet copied this year's list, but that's easy to obtain.

SUMMER UNDER THE STARS

August 2003
James Stewart, Clint Eastwood, Peter O'Toole, Joan Crawford, Fred Astaire, Robert Mitchum, James Cagney, Elizabeth Taylor, Cary Grant, Jack Lemmon, Frank Sinatra, Greta Garbo, Gary Cooper, Charlton Heston, Katherine Hepburn, Steve McQueen, Gene Kelly, Marlene Dietrich, Gregory Peck, Humphrey Bogart, Judy Garland, Clark Gable, John Wayne, Myrna Loy, Kirk Douglas, Lana Turner, Bette Davis, Spencer Tracy, Paul Newman, Doris Day, William Holden

August 2004
John Wayne, Barbara Stanwyck, Bob Hope, Debbie Reynolds, Sidney Poitier, Lucille Ball, Katherine Hepburn, Clint Eastwood, Ava Gardner, Henry Fonda, Jean Harlow, Laurence Olivier, Doris Day, Humphrey Bogart, Burt Lancaster, Elvis Presley, Elizabeth Taylor, Edward G. Robinson, Bette Davis, Peter Sellers, James Stewart, Olivia de Havilland, Ginger Rogers, Charles Chaplin, Shirley MacLaine, Claudette Colbert, Cary Grant, Gary Cooper, Gregory Peck, Esther Williams, Kirk Douglas

August 2005
Lauren Bacall, James Cagney, Joel McCrea, Alec Guinness, Katharine Hepburn, John Wayne, Judy Garland, Shelley Winters, Ray Milland, Lena Horne, Kirk Douglas, Jane Wyman, Cary Grant, Glenn Ford, Fred Astaire, Donna Reed, James Garner, Irene Dunne, Marlon Brando, James Stewart, Maureen O'Hara, Joan Crawford, Basil Rathbone, Sophia Loren, Norma Shearer, Randolph Scott, Spencer Tracy, William Holden, Constance Bennett, Deborah Kerr, Humphrey Bogart

August 2006
Angela Lansbury, Groucho Marx, Susan Hayward, Gregory Peck, Humphrey Bogart, Doris Day, Burt Lancaster, Claire Trevor, Jane Powell, John Garfield, Katherine Hepburn, Rock Hudson, Walter Matthau, Lana Turner, Richard Dix, Joseph Cotten, Carole Lombard, Bela Lugosi, Audrey Hepburn, Lee Marvin, David Niven, Rita Hayworth, Van Johnson, Ann Sothern, James Stewart, Cary Grant, John Wayne, Hedy Lamarr, Ingrid Bergman, Sidney Poitier, Barbara Stanwyck

August 2007
Elizabeth Taylor, Peter O’Toole, Joan Crawford, William Holden, James Stewart, Robert Mitchum, Jane Russell, Dana Andrews, Myrna Loy, Vincent Price, Doris Day, Alan Ladd, June Allyson, Ernest Borgnine, Joan Bennett, Elvis Presley, Maureen O’Hara, Spencer Tracy, Errol Flynn, Rosalind Russell, Gary Cooper, Ann Miller, Jane Fonda, Ronald Reagan, Broderick Crawford, Kirk Douglas, Loretta Young, Roy Rogers, Mary Astor, Buster Keaton, Sean Connery

August 2008
Michael Caine, Charlie Chaplin, Gregory Peck, Marie Dressler, Claude Rains, Anne Bancroft, Greta Garbo, James Garner, Fred MacMurray, Doris Day, Richard Widmark, Kim Novak, Peter Lorre, Greer Garson, Rita Hayworth, Fred Astaire, Gene Kelly, Jack Palance, Barbara Stanwyck, Edward G. Robinson, Ava Gardner, Trevor Howard, Stan Laurel & Oliver Hardy, Henry Fonda, Ingrid Bergman, Janet Leigh, Tony Curtis, Charlton Heston, Marlon Brando, Katherine Hepburn, Spencer Tracy

August 2009
Henry Fonda, James Mason, Marion Davies, James Coburn, Harold Lloyd, Judy Garland, Glenn Ford, Bette Davis, Cary Grant, Dirk Bogarde, Audrey Hepburn, Clark Gable, Gloria Grahame, Sidney Poitier, Deborah Kerr, Elvis Presley, Jennifer Jones, John Wayne, Red Skelton, Miriam Hopkins, Gene Hackman, Sterling Hayden, Angela Lansbury, Fredric March, Merle Oberon, Yul Brynner, Ida Lupino, Frank Sinatra, Peter Sellers, Jean Arthur, Claire Bloom

August 2010
Basil Rathbone, Julie Christie, Steve McQueen, Ethel Barrymore,. Woody Strode, Ingrid Bergman, Errol Flynn, Bob Hope, Warren Beatty, Kathryn Grayson, Walter Matthau, Norma Shearer, Robert Ryan, Gene Tierney, Margaret O'Brien, Robert Stack, Maureen O'Hara, Ann Sheridan, Walter Pidgeon, Katharine Hepburn, Paul Newman, John Mills, Elizabeth Taylor, John Gilbert, Lauren Bacall, Lee Remick, Olivia de Havilland, Peter O'Toole, Henry Fonda, Thelma Todd, Clint Eastwood

August 2011
Marlon Brando, Paulette Goddard, Bette Davis, Ronald Colman, John Garfield, Lucille Ball, Charles Laughton, Orson Welles, Ann Dvorak, Shirley MacLaine, Ben Johnson, Claudette Colbert, James Stewart, Ralph Bellamy, Lon Chaney, Joanne Woodward, Humphrey Bogart, Jean Gabin, Debbie Reynolds, Montgomery Clift, Cary Grant, Joan Crawford, Conrad Veidt, Joan Blondell, Burt Lancaster, Peter Lawford, Linda Darnell, Carole Lombard, Anne Francis, Howard Keel, Marlene Dietrich

August 2012

John Wayne, Myrna Loy, Johnny Weissmuller, Marilyn Monroe, Claude Rains, Van Heflin, Sidney Poitier, Rita Hayworth, Toshiro Mifune, Lionel Barrymore, James Mason, Ginger Rogers, Deborah Kerr, James Cagney, Lillian Gish, Elvis Presley, Katharine Hepburn, Freddie Bartholomew, Eva Marie Saint, Anthony Quinn, Kay Francis, Jack Lemmon, Gene Kelly, Irene Dunne, Tyrone Power, Gary Cooper, Jeanette MacDonald, Ava Gardner, James Caan, Warren William, Ingrid Bergman

August 2013

Humphrey Bogart, Doris Day, Alec Guinness, Mary Boland, Charlton Heston, Joan Fontaine, Fred Macmurray, Ramon Novarro, Steve McQueen, Lana Turner, Henry Fonda, Catherine Deneuve, Mickey Rooney,  Bette Davis, Gregory Peck, Ann Blyth, Wallace Beery, Natalie Wood,  Randolph Scott, Hattie McDaniel, William Holden, Maggie Smith, Elizabeth Taylor,  Charles Coburn, Clark Gable, Jeanne Crain, Martin Balsam, Shirley Jones,  Glenda Farrell, Kirk Douglas, Rex Harrison

I second (or third, fourth, etc) the vote for George Sanders. I'd also like to see Anne Baxter.

George Sanders would be great but how about Tony Curtis? In that same vein, how about Janet Leigh? Victor Mature? Robert Walker? Zachary Scott?

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings