Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

That movie was filmed HERE?!

This one is going to be a little weird but bear with me. Just curious if your current address is close to where ANY movie was filmed.

I'll go first. Less than a mile (as the crow flies) from my house is Ho'opi'i Falls. At the base of the second waterfall is where they shot the scene of the scientist finding the amber with the dinosaur DNA from 'Jurassic Park'. That waterfall is in the guidebooks, but you need a local (like me) to get you to the base. I know of a third waterfall (not in any guidebooks) a little bit of a hike past the second waterfall, and that is where they shot the entire climax to 'Piranhaconda'. This one is hidden but a real gem. I actually had scenes of 'The Pirates of the Carribean: On Stranger Tides' filmed about a block from my house on a sound stage built in an old pineapple cannery but since it was a closed set, I have no clue what scenes were filmed there (but a good friend was an extra in it).

I have another selfish reason for starting this thread. I'm actually in the process of selling my home and moving back to the mainland. I'm getting an airstream and going to do a little cruising. So, give me some places to bring my camera and act the tourist. I LOVE movie locations.

Also, anyone coming to Kauai, HI, by the end of the year can hit me up for a tour to these waterfalls if they like... I'm just chilling. I could easily meet you there and give you a great experience.

Living in LA makes this a really easy one for me. But I'll limit it to the two major landmarks in the that I pass all the time-- the Santa Anita Racetrack and the LA County Arboretum. Both are in Arcadia, CA, and both were the sights of many a film.

Pretty much every classic movie filmed at a race track was usually filmed at Santa Anita, but we'll just make it easy and say THE STORY OF SEABISCUIT and A DAY AT THE RACES.

i215478.jpg

The Arboretum was used for many and many a jungle shot, such as BEACHHEAD (supposed to be the South Pacific), many TARZAN movies, and ROAD TO SINGAPORE. Those come to mind first.

Annex%20-%20Weissmuller,%20Johnny%20%28T

Proud of my tiny suburb!

• Like 1

Cleveland may be a revitalized place to make major movies, but in my heart of hearts, I have a particular soft spot for The Fortune Cookie being filmed in Cleveland, at the old municipal stadium. 

• Like 1

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest was filmed at the Oregon State Mental Hospital in my hometown of Salem.  Part of the building is in use and other parts have fallen into disrepair over the years.  These parts were closed due to the building being unsafe.  A few years ago, they tore down most of the original hospital and converted the remaining part of the original hospital into a museum for mental health.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oregon_State_Hospital

• Like 1

Cleveland may be a revitalized place to make major movies, but in my heart of hearts, I have a particular soft spot for The Fortune Cookie being filmed in Cleveland, at the old municipal stadium.

Yeah, I'm a huge Jack Lemmon fan. That movie is always good for a couple of laughs. It's probably my favorite Walter Matthau role... Oh, I've lived other places too. When I lived in Austin, TX, they filmed 'Idiocracy' right by me. While in Lawrence, KS, (where I'm from originally), they filmed this horror classic 'Carnival of Souls' (*most critics say it's a horrible movie but since it's a time capsule of an earlier/older Lawrence, it's dear to me. It now has a cult following - the 1962 version).
  • Like 1

Yeah, I'm a huge Jack Lemmon fan. That movie is always good for a couple of laughs. It's probably my favorite Walter Matthau role... Oh, I've lived other places too. When I lived in Austin, TX, they filmed 'Idiocracy' right by me. While in Lawrence, KS, (where I'm from originally), they filmed this horror classic 'Carnival of Souls' (horrible movie but now has a cult following - the 1962 version).

Gotta disagree with ya about "Carnival of Souls" here, GR. Considering its shoestring budget, I think it's a pretty well done little flick.

And, re your thread's original thought here, probably the two most notable movies filmed here among the beautiful red rocks of Sedona Arizona might be "Angel and the Badman" and "Leave Her to Heaven", though many a B-western had also been filmed here.

Gotta disagree with ya about "Carnival of Souls" here, GR. Considering its shoestring budget, I think it's a pretty well done little flick.

And, re your thread's original thought here, probably the two most notable movies filmed here among the beautiful red rocks of Sedona Arizona might be "Angel and the Badman" and "Leave Her to Heaven", though many a B-western had also been filmed here.

LOL... I've seen 'Carnival of Souls' a bunch of times so it's dear to me. I was just talking about some of the acting and what critics think in general. *See edit below.

I also LOVE 'Angel and the Badman'. The one souvenir I bought from John Wayne's boyhood home in Winterset, IA, ('Bridges of Madison County' was filmed there) was a fridge magnet of the movie poster from 'Angel...'. I also love Gail Russell. I know she and Duke had a dalliance on the side but she was SMOKING HOT. What a tragic story tho... (I get fridge magnets from all my stops, a hobby). I have them for all over AZ. You have a beautiful state there. If not for the scorpions and gun nuts, I might settle there. But, I'm going to land close... Durango ('Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid', 'Naked Spur', & the saloon seen in 'Vacation').

LOL... I've seen 'Carnival of Souls' a bunch of times so it's dear to me. I was just talking about some of the acting and what critics think in general.

I also LOVE 'Angel and the Badman'. The one souvenir I bought from John Wayne's boyhood home in Winterset, IA, ('Bridges of Madison County' was filmed there) was a fridge magnet of the movie poster from 'Angel...'. I also love Gail Russell. I know she and Duke had a dalliance on the side but she was SMOKING HOT. What a tragic story tho... (I get fridge magnets from all my stops, a hobby). I have them for all over AZ. You have a beautiful state there. If not for the scorpions and gun nuts, I might settle there. But, I'm going to land close... Durango ('Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid', 'Naked Spur', & the saloon seen in 'Vacation').

LOL

Yeah, well, one DOES get used to those two things over time, and besides up here at about 4500ft in elevation, I haven't run across any scorpions yet, as they tend to live mostly down in the 1700ft elevation of that place known as Phoenix...otherwise known to me as "L.A. without a beach and with the thermostat cranked up 20 degrees!" Nope, I JUST don't get the attraction of that place down there at all.

And re Durango...I have to admit I've never been there, but come this Fall, the wife and I are planning a road trip to Santa Fe and then on to Durango so he can take that famous Durango-to-Silverton narrow-gauge train.

However, I HOPE you like snow, as one of our newer arrivals in the neighborhood just moved from there, claiming they just couldn't take the winters of that 6500ft in elevation town any longer.

LOL

Yeah, well, one DOES get used to those two things over time, and besides up here at about 4500ft in elevation, I haven't run across any scorpions yet, as they tend to live mostly down in the 1700ft elevation of that place known as Phoenix...otherwise known to me as "L.A. without a beach and with the thermostat cranked up 20 degrees!" Nope, I JUST don't get the attraction of that place at all.

And re Durango...I have to admit I've never been there, but come this Fall, the wife and I are planning a road trip to Santa Fe and then on to Durango so he can take that famous Durango-to-Silverton narrow-gauge train.

However, I HOPE you like snow, as one of our newer neighbors in the neighborhood just moved from there, claiming they just couldn't take the winters of that 6500ft in elevation town any longer.

I'm from the Midwest in general so I know about some winters. I've been to CO countless times and the wife's sister has a second home in Creede. That's what the airstream is going to be for. When it starts getting a little chilly, pack up the pets and go a little more SW. The elevation is why we're not buying right off. We've never lived above 1000' so that elevation has her a little scared. My son lives in N. Cali and her daughter wants her to land in Oregon, but we love CO and mountains (and the ability to get away from them when needed). We are leaving our options open a little bit tho but Durango is about the right size, is about right other demographics ways, and close to four corners (very fond of Monument Valley) and extreme NE AZ. After living in Hi for 6 years, it's going to be a little tough but we'll manage. Maybe I should keep this house, rent it, and then come back to visit once a year (like January for a month) and it can be a tax write-off?! Might work if not for some experiences with some past renters (rent to family is best suggestion, LOL). Maybe I can expand my personal Monopoly game... Hmm... With three properties with houses, next step HOTELS?! LOL

Brando filmed a skating scene in The Freshman in an arena a couple of miles from my home.

As a matter of fact, I met him outside the arena at the time. We chatted, he was a nice guy and he took me for a burger and cried at one point while recreating a scene for me from The Godfather.

On the other hand, it's also possible that the only part of this posting that is actually true is the first sentence. ;)

Brando filmed a skating scene in The Freshman in an arena a couple of miles from my home.

As a matter of fact, I met him outside the arena at the time. We chatted, he was a nice guy and he took me for a burger and cried at one point while recreating a scene for me from The Godfather.

On the other hand, it's also possible that the only part of this posting that is actually true is the first sentence. ;)

Can you share some of that medication?! I have some images Id like to forget... Oh, I guess wrong meds...

Can you share some of that medication?! I have some images Id like to forget... Oh, I guess wrong meds...

I don't share these meds with ANYBODY. Originally put on to them by Brando.

Or was I? :wacko:

I recommend the eastern sierras here in CA.     I go there at least once each summer.   I stay in Bridgeport the town that Out of the Past takes place in.   I often take the same drive from Bridgeport to Lake Tahao that Mitchum drove in the movie.    That is one great drive.

In the fall or spring the Lone Pine area is nice.   Many great movies filmed in the hills there like Gunda Din,  Charge of the Light Brigade,  etc....

I recommend the eastern sierras here in CA.     I go there at least once each summer.   I stay in Bridgeport the town that Out of the Past takes place in.   I often take the same drive from Bridgeport to Lake Tahao that Mitchum drove in the movie.    That is one great drive.

In the fall or spring the Lone Pine area is nice.   Many great movies filmed in the hills there like Gunda Din,  Charge of the Light Brigade,  etc....

I really love Truckee. Very cute main street...

...and of course Bogie's breakthrough performance in HIGH SIERRA.

You sure this isn't going to regress to a scene from 'Last Tango in Paris'?! (The only Brando movie I haven't seen.)

The image of a naked Brando is not one that I care to have. If you don't want to have it either, best to avoid this film.

• Like 1

You sure this isn't going to regress to a scene from 'Last Tango in Paris'?! (The only Brando movie I haven't seen.)

Yeah Tom. PLEASE don't tell us that there's now gonna be some reference to "fingernail clippers" here! ;)

LOL

...and of course Bogie's breakthrough performance in HIGH SIERRA.

Good point Dargo.   There is a movie museum in Lone Pine and the car Bogie drove up Whitney Portal road in the film in there.

• Like 1

But back to the original post that started it all... If you come to Kauai before I leave, I could also share Pila'a Beach where they filmed 'None But the Brave' (and I could point out where Sinatra almost drowned), Moloa'a Beach where they filmed the opening of Gilligan's Island, Hanalei Beach - hedge scene with Clooney from 'The Descendants', and Donkey Beach where 'I'm going to wash that guy...' song from 'South Pacific'. That's just the NE side of the island. Hit me up! I'm bored! Can't you tell?!

http://filmkauai.com/movies-made-on-kauai/

PS. Check your attic for a copy of 1934's 'White Heat'. You may have a treasure...

The only reason that I'd want to see Last Tango in Paris is because I believe it was the first movie to receive a X rating.