Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

That movie was filmed HERE?!

Yeah, I think you're right, GR,

(...but as I recall, there's no fingernail clippers in THAT one!) LOL

I have no clue what you are talking about so being a 'normal' person (relatively), I only have one use for fingernail clippers in my head. Please do NOT elaborate...LOL

Yeah, I think you're right, GR.

(...but as I recall, there's no fingernail clippers in THAT one!) LOL

You might be right.  I thought that was the reason why I'd consider watching it; maybe it was simply for the fact that it was rated X and not for any type of cinematic milestone (if that would be considered a "milestone") lol. 

Apparently Brando was supposed to do a full-frontal scene in that film; but opted not to because apparently when on set, his "endowment" would get stage freight (so to speak) and shrank. 

Apparently Brando was supposed to do a full-frontal scene in that film; but opted not to because apparently when on set, his "endowment" would get stage freight (so to speak) and shrank. 

Waaaay too much information here for me!

You might be right.  I thought that was the reason why I'd consider watching it; maybe it was simply for the fact that it was rated X and not for any type of cinematic milestone (if that would be considered a "milestone") lol. 

I think all of that is in proportion to the gut hanging over the junk. I'm sure Stanley Kowalski was better looking naked than Vito Corleone...

Drop and give me 20, soldier! LOL.

My 80 yr old was born in Missouri...then moved to Kansas - the real family home. She spent her life from age 12 on in Salina, Ks. I got to spend several summers out there as a kid (Im from Orange Co NY), so I always try to catch  Picnic whenever TCM  shows it, as several scenes were shot in Salina.  The very beginning of the movie, with William Holden hopping of the freight train, and the grain elevator scenes were shot there - in fact, if you look closely you can see a grain elevator with 'Salina' on it!  And all the scenes in the 'rich' part of town were done at Salina, where the well off part of  town perches on a rare hilly section with curvy roads.  

My 80 yr old was born in Missouri...then moved to Kansas - the real family home. She spent her life from age 12 on in Salina, Ks. I got to spend several summers out there as a kid (Im from Orange Co NY), so I always try to catch Picnic whenever TCM shows it, as several scenes were shot in Salina. The very beginning of the movie, with William Holden hopping of the freight train, and the grain elevator scenes were shot there - in fact, if you look closely you can see a grain elevator with 'Salina' on it! And all the scenes in the 'rich' part of town were done at Salina, where the well off part of town perches on a rare hilly section with curvy roads.

Very cool since I'm a KS boy originally (Atchison is birthplace but grew up in NE KS). Speaking of which... Many of the scenes of 'Paper Moon' were shot around there and the town of White Cloud.

I grew up in Astoria, NY where some of Kiss of Death, Serpico, Queen's Logic, The Seven Ups was shot among others.

I lived in Libby, Montana when both Spielberg's Always and later The River Wild were shot

I live now near two locations High Falls, NY where the waterfall shots in Splendor in the Grass were filmed, and Hudson, NY where the bank robbery in Odds Against Tomorrow was shot and also Paul Newman's Nobody's Fool

I grew up in Astoria, NY where some of Kiss of Death, Serpico, Queen's Logic, The Seven Ups was shot among others.

I lived in Libby, Montana when both Spielberg's Always and later The River Wild were shot

I live now near two locations High Falls, NY where the waterfall shots in Splendor in the Grass were filmed, and Hudson, NY where the bank robbery in Odds Against Tomorrow was shot and also Paul Newman's Nobody's Fool

I was always wondering about those waterfalls in 'Splendor in the Grass', because I'm from KS and I knew that scene was done somewhere else. Thanks!

Creature from the Black Lagoon and Revenge of the Creature are partly Florida products.  An educational theme park, Marineland, was where the creature escaped and Helen/Lori nelson was kidnapped off the deck of the Lobster House, then a trendy Jacksonville restaurant.  The St. John's riverfront looks much different today but was very scenic as you can see.  I was ticked off for years that my father would not let us watch filming as U-I wanted us natives to do. 

Edward Sissorhands  was made just across the county line in Land O' Lakes; they practically painted the entire town to suit the producers.  And the only reason to watch The Punisher is to see Tampa as it was ten years ago.  The little diner was called The Goody-Goody, was the first drive-in restaurant in the South, and I worked there over 30 years ago.  Castle's apartment building, originally The Union Hotel, was a red-bricked wedge-shape building and across from Union Train Station.  Both are now gone.    

I know other films were set in the area as well.

Creature from the Black Lagoon and Revenge of the Creature are partly Florida products.  An educational theme park, Marineland, was where the creature escaped and Helen/Lori nelson was kidnapped off the deck of the Lobster House, then a trendy Jacksonville restaurant.  The St. John's riverfront looks much different today but was very scenic as you can see.  I was ticked off for years that my father would not let us watch filming as U-I wanted us natives to do. 

Edward Sissorhands  was made just across the county line in Land O' Lakes; they practically painted the entire town to suit the producers.  And the only reason to watch The Punisher is to see Tampa as it was ten years ago.  The little diner was called The Goody-Goody, was the first drive-in restaurant in the South, and I worked there over 30 years ago.  Castle's apartment building, originally The Union Hotel, was a red-bricked wedge-shape building and across from Union Train Station.  Both are now gone.    

I know other films were set in the area as well.

Yeah, locations like Florida, California, and Hawaii, can list tons of movies. Perks of being in the warmer climates. I knew 'Edward Scissorhands' was filmed somewhere in Florida and now I know where exactly. 'Edward' holds a special place in my heart for a lot of reasons (but the ending... Thought the ending was weak IMO).

So, give me some places to bring my camera and act the tourist. I LOVE movie locations.

Predictably, most suggestions would be NYC, CA or Monument Valley.

You could just pick up a copy of Roadside Hollywood, a film lover's follow up to Roadside America. 

It covers state-by-state all sorts of movie locations. 

IMDB's database is also good-just search "locations" for the state or city you'll be traveling through.

Visiting film locations (and cemetaries) is my hobby when traveling.

One of my favorites was visiting Matewan WV....the bullet holes are still in the buildings from the real incident.

Another favorite is Eastern States Penitentiary where 12 MONKEYS was filmed. It was in a limbo state of ruin and the location fee Gilliam paid brought seed money for it's opening as a museum.

On another Gilliam quest I was photographed in front of the "mansion" he used for THE FISHER KING (Hunter College facade in NYC) 

There is an entire website devoted to movie locations in NYC there are so many.

So, give me some places to bring my camera and act the tourist. I LOVE movie locations.

Predictably, most suggestions would be NYC, CA or Monument Valley.

You could just pick up a copy of Roadside Hollywood, a film lover's follow up to Roadside America. 

It covers state-by-state all sorts of movie locations. 

IMDB's database is also good-just search "locations" for the state or city you'll be traveling through.

Visiting film locations (and cemetaries) is my hobby when traveling.

One of my favorites was visiting Matewan WV....the bullet holes are still in the buildings from the real incident.

Another favorite is Eastern States Penitentiary where 12 MONKEYS was filmed. It was in a limbo state of ruin and the location fee Gilliam paid brought seed money for it's opening as a museum.

On another Gilliam quest I was photographed in front of the "mansion" he used for THE FISHER KING (Hunter College facade in NYC) 

There is an entire website devoted to movie locations in NYC there are so many.

Thanks for the info. I'll have to pick up that book for sure.

My wife already wants to go to Eastern State big time, she's a big paranormal fan and that place has been featured a bunch. Last time we were in Philly, we did all the touristy stuff like Liberty Bell and Freedom Hall (we were mainly there drive to Gettysburg and Hershey - my son was with us and 12). We are definitely going to back and go to Eastern State (and with my new movie locale book, I'll be ready!). Thanks again!

Harold Lloyd Jr's "The Flaming Urge" released  in 1953 was filmed entirely in Michigan. The city of Monroe was used for most of the scenes. The Ellis library in Monroe is filled with clippings about the movie.They even shot in citizen's living rooms.Rarely if ever seen today. It sure must have had a limited release. Maybe it was a hit in Monroe.

My wife already wants to go to Eastern State big time, she's a big paranormal fan and that place has been featured a bunch.

Because it's creepy to people. If I was to walk the earth for eternity, I'd choose to wander around a place where I was inprisoned. Duh. You think ghosts look for MORE punishment?

Actually the "most" haunted place in the US is supposed to be the building that houses Spaghetti Warehouse in Philly.

My wife already wants to go to Eastern State big time, she's a big paranormal fan and that place has been featured a bunch.

Because it's creepy to people. If I was to walk the earth for eternity, I'd choose to wander around a place where I was inprisoned. Duh. You think ghosts look for MORE punishment?

Actually the "most" haunted place in the US is supposed to be the building that houses Spaghetti Warehouse in Philly.

She's heard of the spaghetti place but says there are a bunch more haunted places like the Whaley house in San Diego and Myrtles Plantation in Louisiana. She's been to the Whaley house, Lizzie Borden's house, and some ghost tours of Boston and Gettsyburg, PA. We might have to check out the spaghetti warehouse when we check out eastern state. Thanks for the suggestion.

PS. Uh, I tend not to believe in ghosts at all. My wife, on the other hand, believes in everything (Bigfoot, ghosts, aliens). She thinks ghosts get 'trapped' here or leave imprints somehow of some trauma that can be picked up. I believe happiness is two TVs.

I believe happiness is two TVs.

Haha! That's what my husband and I have been doing for years.  Two TVs, two computers, two XBOXes, etc. really is the best solution.  Who says you have to share?

Haha! That's what my husband and I have been doing for years.  Two TVs, two computers, two XBOXes, etc. really is the best solution.  Who says you have to share?

I highly recommend two DVRs while you're at it (even though she is always taping stuff on mine too!! Grr...).

you're gonna hit Chicago too, right?

I've already been to Chicago. (Sorry, but more partial to NY style pizza.) I heard the house from 'Ferris Buehler' just sold. I'd bet a bunch more movies were done there to and probably has some movie tour companies. Hmm...