Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Mortal Storm (1940)

Kid Dabb

I think this is a pretty good movie.

I like the way this film uses American actors who usually have nice personalities, to show how much average young Germans changed so quickly into mean crazy fanatics.

Interesting POV related to use of 'nice' American actors.    I didn't think about that until now but I think you're on to something.   To see an actor typically known as a nice guy,  like Robert Young,  turn into a crazy fanatics does help make the point that the brainwashing of the movement could get even a nice guy to turn on his own family.

If the role was played by an actor that typically played a bad guy,  the impact of the transformation wouldn't have been as strong.

When I speak about this film I usually mention how disturbing it is - to me. I had not seen this film until after I had grown up with all of these actors playing very nice people in very comfortable situations in various film and television roles. Then, to see them like this, in this light, was like a waking nightmare - which may have been the intent of the director. And it worked! I am no longer able to fully vest my trust in these actors' characters even when I'm watching reruns of Father Knows Best or The Untouchables.

I'm glad you posted this. 

I wanted to site this in a thread some time back but could not for the life of me recall the movie title.

It was either a thread about "movies that really scare you" or "movies you don't need to watch twice" because that's the impression it left me with.

When I speak about this film I usually mention how disturbing it is - to me. I had not seen this film until after I had grown up with all of these actors playing very nice people in very comfortable situations in various film and television roles. Then, to see them like this, in this light, was like a waking nightmare - which may have been the intent of the director. And it worked! I am no longer able to fully vest my trust in these actors' characters even when I'm watching reruns of Father Knows Best or The Untouchables.

Well of course when they cast an actor like Robert Young for the film they didn't know that he would one day be known as one of the most loveable fathers in T.V. history.    ;)            I wonder if audiences at the time had the same feeling?    Maybe not,  since the screen persona of some of the actors may not have been as well known to audiences at the time as they are to us,  all these decades later. 

Well of course when they cast an actor like Robert Young for the film they didn't know that he would one day be known as one of the most loveable fathers in T.V. history.    ;)            I wonder if audiences at the time had the same feeling?    Maybe not,  since the screen persona of some of the actors may not have been as well known to audiences at the time as they are to us,  all these decades later. 

I wonder, too. Robert Young's film roles covered varied personalities which certainly did nothing to type cast him as the nice guy he portrayed almost exclusively in later years. 

Robert Young had already made 56 films before this one, and in most of them he was a nice-guy type, like Robert Montgomery, and Robert Cummings.

I think this is a pretty good movie.

I like the way this film uses American actors who usually have nice personalities, to show how much average young Germans changed so quickly into mean crazy fanatics.

Great observation, Fred. I agree that the casting is what makes this film work so well.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings