Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The new "Like" feature

HelenBaby2

How does everyone like this new feature of the message boards? It's effective in that if you don't really have anything else to say about a subject, you can "like" someone's comment who might express themselves better than you can. Do you think you should click the "like" button on your own posts? It seems unnecessary, because why wouldn't you like what you posted already without the extraneous "like."

Just curious, I guess.

Do you think you should click the "like" button on your own posts? It seems unnecessary, because why wouldn't you like what you posted already without the extraneous "like."

Just curious, I guess.

GOOD HEAVENS, NO !

Therein lies madness....

(though strangely I have seen it done for some reason) :rolleyes:

-just like it 'cuz it saves time & space from alot of "I agree, Right On, Well said & Good Points"

;)

but it appears there's some kind of daily 'quota', which doesn't make much sense....whatever :wacko:

• Like 1

I don't think enough people use the "like" feature; and I REALLY miss being able to respond DIRECTLY to someone, to either tell them I noticed what they wrote and liked or disagreed with it or have something to add.

clicking a little button just ain't the same.

I think that the "reply to" feature was taken away in an ill conceived notion that it would decrease the friction and controversy, but if anything it has caused a lot of confusion, and oddly enough, its own kind of friction where people have been misquoted or mistakenly thought someone said something when they didn't. it has also limited the conversation, which I guess is what some people thought was a good idea.

And I don't like how if we want to make it clear that we're responding to someone we have to include their whole damn quote (which you can then edit, but if you mess up it removes the quotes and makes it seem like you're copying them and passing off what they said as your own.); it makes a big long, confusing mess.

the threads just don't flow the way they used to.

I've said it before, (and maybe I won't be able to say it again), but I think the redesign of the boards was done with the intention of limiting of poster interaction in mind, and I don't like it.

I've said it before, (and maybe I won't be able to say it again), but I think the redesign of the boards was done with the intention of limiting of poster interaction in mind, and I don't like it.

I didn't quote all you typed, but I see your concerns. The quote feature is a little awkward. But I do like the button added feature. However I don't think it's limited interaction. We're such a small group, especially in General Discussions, that it doesn't appear to me that things haven't changed much.

I used to post quite often under brackenhe/helenbaby, but since I re-registered I've tried to be a less provocative and/or reactive member. By utilizing the "like" button, I can let others say what I'm trying not to say. Does that make sense?

from LHF: "and I REALLY miss being able to respond DIRECTLY to someone, to either tell them I noticed what they wrote and liked or disagreed with it or have something to add."

Gotta agree there, the 'whole quote' thing is kind of a pain.

You have to copy/paste (like I did here) or do alot editing to find the statement you're referring to.

Hate quoting whole posts. Seems like a lot of wasted space when going through threads.

& as long as we're bellyaching, does anyone find

LARGE signature threads ANNOYING?

:lol:

(though, fortunately, there are ways to blank them out, so no big deal)

don't mean to offend anyone

• Like 1

I think the "like" button is ok. I use it rarely but do find it useful. What I would really like is a "don't like" button. That would also be a quick way to make a statement without a lot of potentially inflammatory words. It might actually minimize some uncordial exchanges.

• Like 1

I think the "like" button is ok. I use it rarely but do find it useful. What I would really like is a "don't like" button. That would also be a quick way to make a statement without a lot of potentially inflammatory words. It might actually minimize some uncordial exchanges.

I've thought of that, too, but not seriously. I'd just want to be available, for humor's sake. If anyone ever "disliked" a post I had made I'd probably just seethe and wonder why without actually asking. If I ever had the bad attitude to use such a thing then I'd probably also have the attitude to quote somebody's post and just write "Kay dislikes this." Hah

from LHF: "and I REALLY miss being able to respond DIRECTLY to someone, to either tell them I noticed what they wrote and liked or disagreed with it or have something to add."

Gotta agree there, the 'whole quote' thing is kind of a pain.

You have to copy/paste (like I did here) or do alot editing to find the statement you're referring to.

Hate quoting whole posts. Seems like a lot of wasted space when going through threads.

& as long as we're bellyaching, does anyone find

LARGE signature threads ANNOYING?

:lol:

(though, fortunately, there are ways to blank them out, so no big deal)

don't mean to offend anyone

Do you mean the signature field at the bottom of a post? Yes, very annoying. I would limit the size of photos. Large photos can be sadistic after awhile. At least avatars cannot be large, that is such a blessing. If it were permissible to have large avatars, that would be it for me, bye-bye. (Hey, I heard that, stop cheering!!) Sixes, you say there is a way to blank them out, how? Do you simply mean train yourself not to look at them? If there is a way to blank them out in real and tangible way, please let me know ... please! ;-) .

Swithin, I respectfully disagree regarding a Not Like button. That would leave a bad taste, and could lead to resentments without even knowing the reason for them. And if anyone were to continually use it irresponsibly, all the worse.

I have come to like the like button. It's positive, it can actually relieve strained relations at times. I would double the amount of likes allowed in a 24-hour period, at least that. I'm not sure it's a good idea to allow unlimited likes. They might lost their meaning if there were too many of them.

Do you mean the signature field at the bottom of a post? Yes, very annoying. I would limit the size of photos. Large photos can be sadistic after awhile. At least avatars cannot be large, that is such a blessing. If it were permissible to have large avatars, that would be it for me, bye-bye. (Hey, I heard that, stop cheering!!) Sixes, you say there is a way to blank them out, how? Do you simply mean train yourself not to look at them? If there is a way to blank them out in real and tangible way, please let me know ... please! ;-) .

That's an option in your "Ignore Preferences." You can select the signature specifically without ignoring members in any other way. Quite handy.

• Like 2

laffite,

"you say there is a way to blank them out, how?"

Don't know how to do screencaps, but just go to offending post's signature & mouse to the upper right of same and an 'X' will appear, click that & poof it's gone !!

If the 'signature' is REALLY big, you may have to go to the poster's profile page & click 'ignore signature' option.

Maybe someone more computer-saavy can explain this better :huh:

Better yet, from scsu1975:

"I still see it when I click on my screen name in the upper right corner of the page (next to the notifications). There is a menu for Manage Ignore Preferences."

(just click the arrow between your name & sign out)

WOO-HOO!

• Like 1

when I click on the "X" in the upper right hand of someone's signature it gives me the option of either ignoring that person's signature from hereon OR ignoring ALL signatures for everyone.

the latter I don't necessarily recommend since some people (O'Brien Mundy and Miss Wonderly come to mind) have very simple and very fun signatures.

(ps- Miss W. watched The Treasure of the Sierra Madre for the ninth time this week and finally got where yours comes from.)

Maybe if there were more options for feedback buttons, ie:

LornaHansonForbes likes this.

LornaHansonForbes loves this.

LornaHansonForbes was not amused by this.

LornaHansonForbes thinks you are in need of serious psychological help.

I'm afraid I'd wear that last one out.

• Like 1

That's an option in your "Ignore Preferences." You can select the signature specifically without ignoring members in any other way. Quite handy.

I just went in and used it for one particular member's enormous signature. Worked beautifully! So much less clutter on my pages now - and it's only that one member's signature that's gone! Come to think, there may be another I can add to the "don't show signature" list. Great option!! (The best, Jerry - the best)