Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
GenRipper66

If I could turn back time!!

No, this thread has nothing to do with Cher.

You are given a time machine and the ability to go back in time for 24 hours to see and speak with any movie star in history. Who would you visit and what would you tell them?

Would you go back and tell Carole Lombard that winning the coin toss to go on the plane really didn't mean winning after all?

Would you go back and tell James Dean to give the Porsche Spyder a break?

Would you go back and tell the Duke not to film 'The Conqueror' on a nuclear fallout area?

You couldn't guarantee them anything but more time on earth.

I'd tell Natalie Wood's fellow crewmembers that Brainstorm should not have taken a break for Thanksgiving weekend 1981 when the film was running behind schedule.

Amen!! What a tragedy!!!

I have new respect for 'A Kiss Before Dying' (1956).

You are given a time machine and the ability to go back in time for 24 hours to see and speak with any movie star in history. Who would you visit and what would you tell them?

Would you go back and tell Carole Lombard that winning the coin toss to go on the plane really didn't mean winning after all?

Would you go back and tell the Duke not to film 'The Conqueror' on a nuclear fallout area?

Tell Humphrey Bogart to kick the cigarette habit, they all been lied to by the tobacco companies. Might be wasting my time.

tumblr_m53lisagmv1r742ezo1_500.gif

About telling the Duke not to film 'The Conqueror' on a nuclear fallout area, Would shooting in a non radioactive area make it a hit??

lithium.gif

Edited by hamradio

How come all these examples are about warning people something bad is going to happen to them?

The original post says :

"You are given a time machine and the ability to go back in time for 24 hours to see and speak with any movie star in history. Who would you visit and what would you tell them?"

Seems odd everyone's just talked about health and safety. Can't we imagine something more interesting than that?

I would tell Judy Garland, Marilyn Monroe, and Dorothy Dandridge to go to a rehabilitation facility immediately under a different name to get help and to not leave until you were cured of your addiction. I would also tell them to find people who love you for you regardless of the fame you have and tell them what is bothering you rather than run to unhealthy means to cope. If they don't know anybody, I would volunteer myself for them to talk to. 

• Like 2

To reiterate:

How come all these examples are about warning people something bad is going to happen to them?

The original post says :

"You are given a time machine and the ability to go back in time for 24 hours to see and speak with any movie star in history. Who would you visit and what would you tell them?"

Seems odd everyone's just talked about health and safety. Can't we imagine something more interesting than that?

• Like 1

I would tell Judy Garland, Marilyn Monroe, and Dorothy Dandridge to go to a rehabilitation facility immediately under a different name to get help and to not leave until you were cured of your addiction. I would also tell them to find people who love you for you regardless of the fame you have and tell them what is bothering you rather than run to unhealthy means to cope. If they don't know anybody, I would volunteer myself for them to talk to. 

While you're at it, tell Marilyn Monroe to avoid the Kennedys.

• Like 3

okay then, we could call John Huston to ask him to direct again before acting in Tentacles

or Sophia Coppola to try directing before acting in Godfather 3

:)

• Like 1

I'd use it so I could talk Elaine May out of making Ishtar (1987) or Bill Cosby out of making Leonard Part 6 (1987).

The original post says :

Such as?

;-)

==

I would go back to about 1947 and meet Robert Mitchum at Ciro's nightclub in Los Angeles for dining and dancing.  We would stay until the wee hours drinking cocktails (no hangovers with time machines) and then drive to the beach for a romantic stroll on the sand under a full moon.  We would spend the night in a little motel on the beach, surrounded by the sound of crashing waves.  Late the next mornng we would motor to Santa Barbara for a glorious, meandering sort of day.

What I would tell him is probably better left unsaid. ;)

• Like 2

Maybe I'd think about going back to the second week of February, 1911 to "adjust" Ronny Reagan's pillow a little bit.

• Like 1

Such as?

;-)

==

Sorry, lafitte, I am woefully ignorant when it comes to internet "code", including many of the acronyms used, and those mysterious do-it-yourself emoticons. No idea what they mean.

Shirley if we could go back in time and talk to any movie star from the past about anything we wanted, we could do better than issue warnings about the bad things that could/might/will happen to them.Case in point:  GayDivorcee's time travel experience where she meets Robert Mitchum.

Still, I don't want to "control" the thread. Maybe the OP could come back and clarify what he was thinking of. Perhaps warnings about health and safety were his intended theme here.

Maybe I'd think about going back to the second week of February, 1911 to "adjust" Ronny Reagan's pillow a little bit.

Gack ! The dreaded sin of time-travel tampering ! Now, db, we all know, if you go back in time, you're supposed to just leave well (or bad) enough alone. Including  no "Sudden Infant Death Syndrome" for future politicians. 

Besides, perhaps old Ronnie was an adorable baby. Bizarre though that concept is.

I would go back to about 1947 and meet Robert Mitchum at Ciro's nightclub in Los Angeles for dining and dancing.  We would stay until the wee hours drinking cocktails (no hangovers with time machines) and then drive to the beach for a romantic stroll on the sand under a full moon.  We would spend the night in a little motel on the beach, surrounded by the sound of crashing waves.  Late the next mornng we would motor to Santa Barbara for a glorious, meandering sort of day.

What I would tell him is probably better left unsaid. ;)

Now that's what I call interesting and imaginative !

Besides, perhaps old Ronnie was an adorable baby. Bizarre though that concept is.

I really don't think it's such a bizarre idea. No matter what you may think of his politics (and I doubt that when he was in the cradle he had that many), Reagan was always a pretty easy going, likeable guy.

Know what guys? I went back and read the original post, and I think health and safety warnings were what GenRipper had in mind. So I take it all back.

In that case, maybe I'd visit Elizabeth Taylor, or maybe Shelley Winters,circa 1950, and tell them to lay off the pasta and doughnuts.

Know what guys? I went back and read the original post, and I think health and safety warnings were what GenRipper had in mind. So I take it all back.

In that case, maybe I'd visit Elizabeth Taylor, or maybe Shelley Winters,circa 1950, and tell them to lay off the pasta and doughnut

Tell Humphrey Bogart to kick the cigarette habit, they all been lied to by the tobacco companies. Might be wasting my time.

tumblr_m53lisagmv1r742ezo1_500.gif

About telling the Duke not to film 'The Conqueror' on a nuclear fallout area, Would shooting in a non radioactive area make it a hit??

lithium.gif

About The Conqueror, every time I've heard someone say "I want to go out like John Wayne." I think to myself, "so you want to get lung cancer and die in your mid-70s? I would think you'd want to live longer and go out stronger than that." 

• Like 1

In that case, maybe I'd visit Elizabeth Taylor, or maybe Shelley Winters,circa 1950, and tell them to lay off the pasta and doughnuts.

That advice could also be told to John Candy.

great-outdoors-old-96er-john-candy.jpg

Oh, I dunno...

I might go back and try to teach Orson Welles about portion control.

I might go back and tell a young Paul Newman, "Pass up this "Silver Chalice" role.  Something else will come along."

I might vainly try to convince Blake Edwards that just ONE of them "Pink Panther" movies are enough.

So many possibilities...

Sepiatone

• Like 1

It can be anything... You could go back in time and get drunk with the Duke or go fishing with Gary Cooper. This is YOUR 24 hours. I just used the OG examples because I thought extending the life of stars is what a fan would truly want but apparently not... SO, the time machine only guarantees access, nothing else... And this is my Twilight Zone episode where nothing adverse will happen.... LOL

Also, it could be current... You could stop Heath Ledger from mixing meds or help Philip Seymour Hoffman to rehab.... OR, help Elvis off the toilet...

I think I would go back and make sure Sharon Tate was anywhere but in that house on a particular night (and I would tell her Roman is a perv).

I would tell.Linda Darnell to not stay at her friend Jeanne Curtis' place in Chicago in April 1965,.and if she did anyway, to not got back in to the burning home, since Jeanne's daughter will have gotten out ok.

I would.tell.George Raft to not turn down.certain specific.Warner Brothers movies, due to some.superstition on his part.about not dying in a movie, or not appearing weak, or whatever.

I would tell Claudette Colbert to try to not trip on a cable while filming THREE CAME HOME in 1950.

I would tell Jeanne Crain to use birth control to avoid getting pregnant during late 1949~early 1950.

I would tell.Gene Tierney to avoid going to the Hollywood Canteen or any other public area while pregnant in 1943.

Well, I wouldn't do any of that stuff. Since the original poster has clarified this 24 hours back in time could be anything you want to do at all (NOT just "warnings from the future" ), I will say again that I find everyone's contribution here on what they'd do to be dismayingly unimaginative.  Is that all you'd do? Warn the stars of the day about future accidents and smoking? Well, you're all much more altruistic than I am. 

I'd go back and persuade Ginger Rogers to let me be her understudy for "Top Hat". She'd teach me all the dance steps, and then - maybe just during a rehearsal, not for the actual filming - I'd get to dance, gloriously, with Fred Astaire. To those fabulous Irving Berlin numbers.

Or, maybe I'd visit Robert Ryan during the making of one of his great noirs. We'd hang out, drink whatever cocktail was in style in the late 40s/early 50s. Several. (cocktails.) Then we'd talk about film noir - I'd tell him what those dark and desperate crime movies he was so good in came to be called, years later - and he'd tell me what it was like to work with people like Edward Dmytryk and Nicholas Ray. 

Perhaps I'd go for a trip back to the 1920s, have drinks with Louise Brooks and ponder the magic of silent movies.  If Marie Provost showed up, I don't know whether I'd tell her not to hole herself up in a lonely apartment with a daschund or not.

I wouldn't do anything helpful like all you people would. I'd be too busy having fun.