Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
GenRipper66

If I could turn back time!!

I would.tell.George Raft to not turn down.certain specific.Warner Brothers movies, due to some.superstition on his part.about not dying in a movie, or not appearing weak, or whatever.

REALLY Arturo?! THAT'S what you'd have told Raft???

(...I think I would have told him to stick to dancing, 'cause at least he could do THAT reasonably well)

(...I think I would have told him to stick to dancing, 'cause at least he could do THAT reasonably well)

I also had a problem with Arturo going back and trying to convince Raft to take those roles.    That is a part of film history I don't want changed!    We don't need Raft in more films especially ones where Bogie,  a much better actor,  took his place.   

It's a wonder someone haven't brought up going back telling George Brent to have cosmetic surgery done on his rear end. :lol:

Edited by hamradio

It's a wonder someone haven't brought up going back telling George Brent to have cosmetic surgery done on his rear end. :lol:

LOL

Well ham, I don't think Liposuction had yet been invented during the time THAT George was strutin' HIS(considerable) stuff around! 

OK, James and Dargo, I was joshing with that one; of course I much prefer Bogie in the Raft rejects that made him a star. Besides, I doubt Icould convince that hardheaded hothead Raft in any case.

As for Colbert, I really think she would have given a very different slant to ALL ABOUT EVE; Bette Davis is perfect as is. And so is Anne Baxter, but I'd be intrigued by the originally cast Crain as Eve, with her then more innocent and wholesome image.

I unequivocally stand by the Tierney and Darnell statements.

OK, James and Dargo, I was joshing with that one; of course I much prefer Bogie in the Raft rejects that made him a star. Besides, I doubt Icould convince that hardheaded hothead Raft in any case.

As for Colbert, I really think she would have given a very different slant to ALL ABOUT EVE; Bette Davis is perfect as is. And so is Anne Baxter, but I'd be intrigued by the originally cast Crain as Eve, with her then more innocent and wholesome image.

I unequivocally stand by the Tierney and Darnell statements.

Glad to see you were joking since I was getting worried.    In fact I just played the High Sierra DVD I own just to ensure Bogie was still there and not Raft!   ;)      Now I'm going to watch the TV show Quantum Leap. 

Sorry, lafitte, I am woefully ignorant when it comes to internet "code", including many of the acronyms used, and those mysterious do-it-yourself emoticons. No idea what they mean.

Shirley if we could go back in time and talk to any movie star from the past about anything we wanted, we could do better than issue warnings about the bad things that could/might/will happen to them.Case in point:  GayDivorcee's time travel experience where she meets Robert Mitchum.

Still, I don't want to "control" the thread. Maybe the OP could come back and clarify what he was thinking of. Perhaps warnings about health and safety were his intended theme here.

;-) = ;)

It was a winkie. Sorry, didn't mean to confuse. I use the old-fashion version at times when inserting one in a middle of a sentence. As we all know by now, the animated ones (according to the current software) get a line of their own which can be annoying and using the old fashioned emoticon circumvents that. But I could have, and should have, used the ready-made animated ones in the present case, but didn't because I was inattentive. Sorry.

Just chiding for you not offering up an example. Sometime when making a comment like that, it helps to do that so we know what you mean. But I agree with your point. I think things like having a cup of coffee with Judy Garland and getting her talk about her favorite songs or such things as that would be more fun to come up with than offering advice or correcting someone (if that's what you mean, along those lines anyway?) Maybe getting drunk with Richard Burton and reading lines of Shakespeare to him for him to identify. He used to do that (and for big money, wager-wise) with another actor on the set of some movie I can't remember right now. But yeah, having a few drinks with Richard, that might be fun.

:)

;-) = ;)

It was a winkie. Sorry, didn't mean to confuse. I use the old-fashion version at times when inserting one in a middle of a sentence. As we all know by now, the animated ones (according to the current software) get a line of their own which can be annoying and using the old fashioned emoticon circumvents that. But I could have, and should have, used the ready-made animated ones in the present case, but didn't because I was inattentive. Sorry.

Just chiding for you not offering up an example. Sometime when making a comment like that, it helps to do that so we know what you mean. But I agree with your point. I think things like having a cup of coffee with Judy Garland and getting her talk about her favorite songs or such things as that would be more fun to come up with than offering advice or correcting someone (if that's what you mean, along those lines anyway?) Maybe getting drunk with Richard Burton and reading lines of Shakespeare to him for him to identify. He used to do that (and for big money, wager-wise) with another actor on the set of some movie I can't remember right now. But yeah, having a few drinks with Richard, that might be fun.

:)

Oh, heck, just saw your previous post, misswonderly ... I see you offer similar examples ... missed that when I wrote the above ...

But then we wouldn't have had him in 'The Patsy' (1964). It's both George and Jerry's best movie (funniest anyway).

;-) = ;)

Wish the web master fix that bug, not getting the emoticon at the end of sentence.

Here is the original wink.  smiley-wink.gif

Wish the web master fix that bug, not getting the emoticon at the end of sentence.

Here is the original wink.  smiley-wink.gif

That original wink you show there is much better. The one we get looks as if someone is twisting his ear, as in, OUCH! ;)

Incidentally, will someone tell me what the hell this means!

:ph34r:

and these:

^_^-_-<_<:blink:

Thanks ... and sorry for the digression

--

I would.tell.George Raft to not turn down.certain specific.Warner Brothers movies, due to some.superstition on his part.about not dying in a movie, or not appearing weak, or whatever.

I would tell Claudette Colbert to try to not trip on a cable while filming THREE CAME HOME in 1950.

I would tell Jeanne Crain to use birth control to avoid getting pregnant during late 1949~early 1950.

I would tell.Gene Tierney to avoid going to the Hollywood Canteen or any other public area while pregnant in 1943.

Uh, you get one trip for 24 hrs. Pick one, I'd assume you'd save Linda Darnell. Good choice.

I think going back just to hang out with someone would be a little boring IMO. If it was to 'hook up', I'd bet that experience would provide more disappointments than anything else. Who knows? That actor could give you a disease that you get to bring back to the future. Good thing is they have a cure for all of it now (at least, what existed back then), but I think that experience is ripe for for a major letdown. I'd save Carole Lombard or Sharon Tate (probably Tate because it was so hideous and she was so young). It's not even close. Save someone's life or stop someone from being born? Hmmm... Not even close in my book but hey, 'to each, his (or her) own time machine....'

I would tell Robert Redford to get an English accent for Out of Africa. Then that film would be perfect.

There are so many separate 24-hr trips I would take.  Hopefully the timer resets when you come back from one trip and leave for another. 

TRIP #1- 1935, I would be on the same ship Errol Flynn is on enroute from England to New York on his way to Hollywood to start his Warner Brothers contract.  I'd get to him before Lili Damita (whom by all accounts, gave nothing but trouble to Flynn.  Son Sean is an exception).  We'd hang out on the ship and drink cocktails, eat delicious food and talk into the wee hours of the morning.  I'm a time traveler, so there'll be no inebriation for me and consequential puking and falling asleep for me.  I have a feeling Flynn can hold his liquor, so there won't be any issues for him.  Of course, with Errol's dreamy Australian accent, I'll be hanging on his every word.  Afterward, we'll retreat to his stateroom... and.... transmission gets a little fuzzy here... The next morning, we'll emerge from the stateroom and head to the restaurant for breakfast.  Mimosas and other delicious things will be consumed.  We'll then hang out on the deck talking and such.  He'll invite me to come back to Hollywood with him when we reach American soil.  Of course, I'll accept.  Not sure how my time travel adventure will work at that point.  Maybe I could have a time machine installed in my Hollywood bungalow and I'll just pop in and out for "refueling" so to speak. 

(There are tons of 24 hour Flynn trips that could be taken...)

TRIP #2-  on the set of Singin' in the Rain. 1951.  My love Gene Kelly is practicing the big Broadway Melody number, specifically the part where he dances with Cyd Charisse in the green dress.  Cyd is unavailable for some reason and he needs a stand-in.  I, being an excellent dancer in this time travel adventure, volunteer.  We practice the number and I get to have his arms wrapped around me while we dance.  Gene works out whatever issue he was having with the dance.  Later, we return to another soundstage where Donald O'Connor is practicing his "Make 'Em Laugh" number.  I resist the urge to ask whether or not this is the same song as "Be a Clown" from Kelly's The Pirate.  To watch O'Connor practice this dance is exhausting and exciting at the same time.  I also meet Debbie Reynolds while she's practicing the "All I Do is Dream of You" number and I end up an extra in that number.  I also get a job as an extra in the movie theater scene when they're watching their ill-fated first attempt at a "talkie."  No! No! No! Yes! YES! YESSSSSS! NOOOOOOOO! Later, I am invited to a party at Kelly's house where I participate in an intense charades game and am treated to Judy Garland singing. 

TRIP #3- 2/7/1955.  I would be at the taping of the "LA at Last" episode of I Love Lucy.  Not only am I treated to a live taping of my favorite show ever, I also get to see one of my dreamboats, William Holden in person.  The live taping is a success and I get to meet the cast and of course, Holden. 

This is a very simple dream.  Not too detailed.  I'd love to go to all 179 tapings of that show

There are so many separate 24-hr trips I would take.  Hopefully the timer resets when you come back from one trip and leave for another. 

TRIP #1- 1935, I would be on the same ship Errol Flynn is on enroute from England to New York on his way to Hollywood to start his Warner Brothers contract.  I'd get to him before Lili Damita (whom by all accounts, gave nothing but trouble to Flynn.  Son Sean is an exception).  We'd hang out on the ship and drink cocktails, eat delicious food and talk into the wee hours of the morning.  I'm a time traveler, so there'll be no inebriation for me and consequential puking and falling asleep for me.  I have a feeling Flynn can hold his liquor, so there won't be any issues for him.  Of course, with Errol's dreamy Australian accent, I'll be hanging on his every word.  Afterward, we'll retreat to his stateroom... and.... transmission gets a little fuzzy here... The next morning, we'll emerge from the stateroom and head to the restaurant for breakfast.  Mimosas and other delicious things will be consumed.  We'll then hang out on the deck talking and such.  He'll invite me to come back to Hollywood with him when we reach American soil.  Of course, I'll accept.  Not sure how my time travel adventure will work at that point.  Maybe I could have a time machine installed in my Hollywood bungalow and I'll just pop in and out for "refueling" so to speak. 

(There are tons of 24 hour Flynn trips that could be taken...)

TRIP #2-  on the set of Singin' in the Rain. 1951.  My love Gene Kelly is practicing the big Broadway Melody number, specifically the part where he dances with Cyd Charisse in the green dress.  Cyd is unavailable for some reason and he needs a stand-in.  I, being an excellent dancer in this time travel adventure, volunteer.  We practice the number and I get to have his arms wrapped around me while we dance.  Gene works out whatever issue he was having with the dance.  Later, we return to another soundstage where Donald O'Connor is practicing his "Make 'Em Laugh" number.  I resist the urge to ask whether or not this is the same song as "Be a Clown" from Kelly's The Pirate.  To watch O'Connor practice this dance is exhausting and exciting at the same time.  I also meet Debbie Reynolds while she's practicing the "All I Do is Dream of You" number and I end up an extra in that number.  I also get a job as an extra in the movie theater scene when they're watching their ill-fated first attempt at a "talkie."  No! No! No! Yes! YES! YESSSSSS! NOOOOOOOO! Later, I am invited to a party at Kelly's house where I participate in an intense charades game and am treated to Judy Garland singing. 

TRIP #3- 2/7/1955.  I would be at the taping of the "LA at Last" episode of I Love Lucy.  Not only am I treated to a live taping of my favorite show ever, I also get to see one of my dreamboats, William Holden in person.  The live taping is a success and I get to meet the cast and of course, Holden. 

This is a very simple dream.  Not too detailed.  I'd love to go to all 179 tapings of that show.

Wow! I'm impressed! There's a screenplay in there somewhere...

• Like 1

--

I am assuming that you're saying that you're some type of ninja.  I am not sure how you could be ninja like on a message board.  Maybe some sort of subtle joke?

Wow! I'm impressed! There's a screenplay in there somewhere...

Hey, not fair. You didn't admonish this poster for getting one trip only, as you did me. I'm taking all my trips back, plus others I haven't yet posted.

Hey, not fair. You didn't admonish this poster for getting one trip only, as you did me. I'm taking all my trips back, plus others I haven't yet posted.

Yeah - she's the teacher's pet!

• Like 1

Now that's what I call interesting and imaginative !

Thanks, MissW.  Your post inspired me to think of a more constructive use of the time machine!  

Besides, I doubt Mr. Mitchum would heed any warnings about booze and cigarettes.

I am assuming that you're saying that you're some type of ninja.  I am not sure how you could be ninja like on a message board.  Maybe some sort of subtle joke?

Ah!

...better explanation that I could come up with.

I think it looks like someone in a burka, which of course makes no sense on a message board.

...or someone with mud on their face for having made a booboo of some kind?

...okay, back to the time machine ...

==

EDIT: Damn, I can't believe all the problems with the software. Trying to access emoticon to illustrate what we're talking about here, but stupid software says no. I'm giving up and deeming it not that important.

Edited by laffite

Thanks, MissW.  Your post inspired me to think of a more constructive use of the time machine!  

Besides, I doubt Mr. Mitchum would heed any warnings about booze and cigarettes.

Funny but when I saw that Mitchum was mentioned the first thing that came to mind was going back to that night he was busted and taking him to a different party.      Of course that might have impacted his film career since producers became more interested in casting this true bad boy in their films.    So Bob,  you would still be doing 30 days in the hole! 

Hands down my first wish would be to go back to early January 1942 and tell Carole to take the Super Chief train for the trip back to L A (trains are  much more comfortable than those noisy, drafty , bumpy plane rides) .  Next thought would be to tell Jean Peters to avoid that creep Howard Hughes (she could have kept her film career going). .  Perhaps to be more realistic  and not run the risk of drastically altering history here (like in a Twilight Zone episode)  I would like to go back and see Henry Fonda in a stage performance of Mister Roberts ( he always claimed the play was better than the film adaptation).

That original wink you show there is much better. The one we get looks as if someone is twisting his ear, as in, OUCH! ;)

and these:

^_^-_-<_<:blink:

Thanks ... and sorry for the digression

--

The first one looks like an expression of "yeah, sort of".  The 2nd "Maybe, don't really know". The 3rd "Who cares?"  The last says "blink" when you point the mouse cursor over it but it appears more to be "confused/  dizzy".

Just my impression.

Here's one the programmer forgot from the old forum. sigh smiley_sigh_by_mirz123-d4cckax.gif

Love these I came across.  This one might be a bit rude  Please keep your mouth shut/zipped 47_47.gif

Can't take it anymore smiley-vault-misc-139.gif

And here is one for the Web Administratorcu_closed.gif