Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

If I could turn back time!!

To reiterate... This topic is NOT about Cher... (unless you go back and help her with clothing choices on the video for this song).

And to clarify.... You get ONE trip. We are not in the plot of 'Back to the Future'. The time machine does NOT run on garbage. It's like a golden ticket. ONE to a customer and good for ONE ride only.

To reiterate... This topic is NOT about Cher... (unless you go back and help her with clothing choices on the video for this song).

And to clarify.... You get ONE trip. We are not in the plot of 'Back to the Future'. The time machine does NOT run on garbage. It's like a golden ticket. ONE to a customer and good for ONE ride only.

But -- do we get to come back, or would we end up like Quintus Ratcliff in The Undead, stuck in the distant past?

the-undead.jpg?1293919836

That's such a cheesy song it's almost vomit-inducing.  I'd rather listen to CHER sing "Gypsies, Tramps and Thieves'. 

I was born in the wagon of a travelin' show.

My mama used to dance for the money they'd throw.

Papa would do whatever he could:

Preach a little gospel.

Sell a couple bottles of Doctor Good . . .

Picked up a boy just south of Mobile,

Gave him a ride, filled him with a hot meal.

I was sixteen, he was twenty-one.

Rode with us to Memphis

And Papa woulda shot him if he knew what he done . . .

I never had schoolin' but he taught me well

With his smooth Southern style.

Three months later I'm a gal in trouble 

And I haven't seen him for awhile.

Uh-huh, I haven't seen him for awhile

Uh-huh  . . .

But -- do we get to come back, or would we end up like Quintus Ratcliff in The Undead, stuck in the distant past?

the-undead.jpg?1293919836

Yep... Just like 'Groundhog Day'... You wake up in bed with Sonny and Cher on the radio...

I don't even know that song, and I know a lot of music. Maybe I've heard it without realizing it- suppose I could check on Youtube.

With the exception of mrroberts wanting to see Henry Fonda in a live stage version of Mr. Roberts, (and even that was his third choice), people still seem to be stuck on this "saving" idea.

At least, the men do. Interestingly enough, it's the women's posts on this thread that have offered up the most adventuress time-travel imaginings. Sorry, male posters, but looks like the ladies have a more creative turn of mind than you do.

Genripper, maybe you could stipulate that the time travel trip must be purely hedonistic, no warning or saving anyone. 

Why did you then tell the other person, after posting about multiple trips, that you were impressed,

And it's sounded like.the beginnings of a a.writtsn story. Not fair !

PS....is there a pout emoticon lol?

I don't even know that song, and I know a lot of music. Maybe I've heard it without realizing it- suppose I could check on Youtube.

With the exception of mrroberts wanting to see Henry Fonda in a live stage version of Mr. Roberts, (and even that was his third choice), people still seem to be stuck on this "saving" idea.

At least, the men do. Interestingly enough, it's the women's posts on this thread that have offered up the most adventuress time-travel imaginings. Sorry, male posters, but looks like the ladies have a more creative turn of mind than you do.

Genripper, maybe you could stipulate that the time travel trip must be purely hedonistic, no warning or saving anyone.

Seems.like what the women.here want is to meet (and be bedded by?) the likes of Flynn and Mitchum. Doesn't sound like.all that adventurous or imaginative. But if that's how it's played, line Ava up, because it'll be one memorable 24 hours.

I'm not sure if such an emoticon exists, but as Cher would say (or rather sing):

Return the wheel and break the chain.

Put steel to steel and laugh at pain.

We're dreamers in castles made of sand. 

The rode to Eden's overgrown.

Don't you sometimes wish your heart was made of stone . . .

A purely hedonistic trip would be great for another thread. The reason I made this a one-time use this time is because I was personally trying to avoid people who had some romanticized view of a particular actor (that smacks of romance novels and boredom to me). If I could go back in time at will I could come up with all kinds of fun things like: convince Janet Leigh the only way she could save future humanity was to let me wash her in a shower or take Bogie out for a fishing trip off the Keys. But, I'd rather go back and convince Montgomery Clift to let me drive. Maybe you could start a thread with the title 'An evening with...' where the subject is just who and what would do with any actor...' That could be a hot one...

Why did you then tell the other person, after posting about multiple trips, that you were impressed,

And it's sounded like.the beginnings of a a.writtsn story. Not fair !

I'm sorry, I was trying to be polite (with what I assumed was/is a lady). Her trips seemed very in-depth as well, which is why I was trying to point her to possibly write these ideas down and become the next JK Rowling. I'm trying to keep it to one trip tho so eventually she would have to make a choice. ;(

I'm sorry, I was trying to be polite (with what I assumed was/is a lady). Her trips seemed very in-depth as well, which is why I was trying to point her to possibly write these ideas down and become the next JK Rowling. I'm trying to keep it to one trip tho so eventually she would have to make a choice. ;(

Your assumption is correct.  My choice would be an obvious one. ;)

convince Janet Leigh the only way she could save future humanity was to let me wash her in a shower

I just told my wife about this and she said 'how is you being h o r n y going to save humanity?!' LOL! No imagination obviously....

Seems.like what the women.here want is to meet (and be bedded by?) the likes of Flynn and Mitchum. Doesn't sound like.all that adventurous or imaginative. But if that's how it's played, line Ava up, because it'll be one memorable 24 hours.

Oh, trust me, my trip would be adventurous ;-)

You know, I'd want to agree with you about Ava but the fact she married Mickey Rooney makes me put her in a somewhat different category. Kind of partial to Janet Leigh, Raquel Welch, & Sophia Loren.

You know, I'd want to agree with you about Ava but the fact she married Mickey Rooney makes me put her in a somewhat different category. Kind of partial to Janet Leigh, Raquel Welch, & Sophia Loren.

Well.the OP.has killed.the multiple.trip options,.so only one.woman.....or maybe several in that.24 hour period.

As for Ava marrying Rooney, she.was a.newly arrived, callow 18 year old, from rural North Carolina. She was worn.down by his constant courting, and as he was Hollywood's then biggest moneymaker, she found herself.caught up by forces she Was.unable.to resist. But.she didn't last.long with him, and left him soon enough.

Well.the OP.has killed.the multiple.trip options,.so only one.woman.....or maybe several in that.24 hour period.

As for Ava marrying Rooney, she.was a.newly arrived, callow 18 year old, from rural North Carolina. She was worn.down by his constant courting, and as he was Hollywood's then biggest moneymaker, she found herself.caught up by forces she Was.unable.to resist. But.she didn't last.long with him, and left him soon enough.

I wouldn't want to be judged now for what I did at 18 but the fact that she was wooed by the equivalent of a oversexed rabbit, is amazing. But MARRIAGE?! I know old school people did that to hook up but it smacks of opportunism to me. People willing to do anything to advance a career are a little different in my book. Did she 'love' him that quickly or did she think 'marrying him would be GREAT for my career'? The answer to those questions says a lot in my book. I know cunning, not cool.

I wouldn't want to be judged now for what I did at 18 but the fact that she was wooed by the equivalent of a oversexed rabbit, is amazing. But MARRIAGE?! I know old school people did that to hook up but it smacks of opportunism to me. People willing to do anything to advance a career are a little different in my book. Did she 'love' him that quickly or did she think 'marrying him would be GREAT for my career'? The answer to those questions says a lot in my book. I know cunning, not cool.

I can't believe that Ava Gardner was married to Mickey Rooney.  I can believe her with Sinatra; but Mickey Rooney? 

I believe she also was married to Artie Shaw who was also married to Lana Turner.  I believe he almost married Judy Garland as well but ended up leaving her for Lana Turner.  That Artie Shaw sure got around. 

The first one looks like an expression of "yeah, sort of".  The 2nd "Maybe, don't really know". The 3rd "Who cares?"  The last says "blink" when you point the mouse cursor over it but it appears more to be "confused/  dizzy".

Just my impression.

Here's one the programmer forgot from the old forum. sigh smiley_sigh_by_mirz123-d4cckax.gif

Love these I came across.  This one might be a bit rude  Please keep your mouth shut/zipped 47_47.gif

Can't take it anymore smiley-vault-misc-139.gif

And here is one for the Web Administratorcu_closed.gif

Thanks, Ham ... appreciate it. Good "impressions." The "Can't take it anymore" is interesting but it takes too long. As to the one for the Web Administrator, I want one too!!!!

;)

End of Digression, thanks OP and all ... back to the regularly scheduled program thread.

Okay, a quick review of the rules here: One trip only - check! 24 hours only - check!

My mission, should I choose to accept it (and I have): to awaken the womanhood in Sophia Loren.

The time: 1962.

The place: Italy.

The mission: well, you know the mission.

After checking to make sure that Carlo is out of town, I will spend a warm afternoon at Sophia's palazzo, where she will be wined, dined and charmed in a manner of which only I am capable. Once I finally take her warm hand in mine and gently kiss the back of it, only to see her knees start to slap together, I know that it will be time to send the musicians away. (Oh, I didn't mention the musicians? Yes, three of them were playing their violins in the background as we talked and ate).

We will go to her large bedroom and do what it is only natural for two beautiful (or even not-so-beautiful) human beings to do - non-stop for the next twenty hours, or so.

And at the end of it all my Sophia will be exuberant, beaming and screaming from the balcony, "Now, NOW, for the first time in my life, I know what it is like to be a WOMAN!!!" 

"Please, Sophia," I'd say, "You're embarrassing me . . . Tell me more."

"Never," she'd say, "has Mount Vesuvius had such an eruption as I have experienced this day."

"Sophia, please . . ."

And then I'd gently break the news to her.

"Well, gotta go."

"Gotta go? Mamma mia, what you talking about, my sweet bambino?"

"Sorry, Sophia, I don't have any choice. General Ripper only gave me 24 hours."

"General Ripper?" she'd scream, "What, you're in the army or somethin'?"

"No, not that. Tough to explain. But I have to go back to the future. But I accomplished my mission, I'm very glad to say."

"You're mission?" she'd scream, "What am I? Some play thing to you? And who the hell's this General Ripper? YOU RIP MY HEART OUT IF YOU LEAVE ME!!!!!"

Oh, the tears will flow from my beautiful Sophia, alright. And how could they not? I was, after all, the experience of her lifetime.

But I like to think this day in the palazzo she spent with me would, in turn, bring an even greater fire, passion and intensity to Sophia Loren's future film performances. And critics would comment upon it.

"What great love this lady must have known, they'd say, to convey such unbridled exultant passion. She sets the screen on fire!"

"Please," I would modestly write to all of them, "You're embarrassing me."

• Like 2