Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
GenRipper66

If I could turn back time!!

Okay, a quick review of the rules here: One trip only - check! 24 hours only - check!

My mission, should I choose to accept it (and I have): to awaken the womanhood in Sophia Loren.

The time: 1962.

The place: Italy.

The mission: well, you know the mission.

After checking to make sure that Carlo is out of town, I will spend a warm afternoon at Sophia's palazzo, where she will be wined, dined and charmed in a manner of which only I am capable. Once I finally take her warm hand in mine and gently kiss the back of it, only to see her knees start to slap together, I know that it will be time to send the musicians away. (Oh, I didn't mention the musicians? Yes, three of them were playing their violins in the background as we talked and ate).

We will go to her large bedroom and do what it is only natural for two beautiful (or even not-so-beautiful) human beings to do - non-stop for the next twenty hours, or so.

And at the end of it all my Sophia will be exuberant, beaming and screaming from the balcony, "Now, NOW, for the first time in my life, I know what it is like to be a WOMAN!!!" 

"Please, Sophia," I'd say, "You're embarrassing me . . . Tell me more."

"Never," she'd say, "has Mount Vesuvius had such an eruption as I have experienced this day."

"Sophia, please . . ."

And then I'd gently break the news to her.

"Well, gotta go."

"Gotta go? Mamma mia, what you talking about, my sweet bambino?"

"Sorry, Sophia, I don't have any choice. General Ripper only gave me 24 hours."

"General Ripper?" she'd scream, "What, you're in the army or somethin'?"

"No, not that. Tough to explain. But I have to go back to the future. But I accomplished my mission, I'm very glad to say."

"You're mission?" she'd scream, "What am I? Some play thing to you? And who the hell's this General Ripper? YOU RIP MY HEART OUT IF YOU LEAVE ME!!!!!"

Oh, the tears will flow from my beautiful Sophia, alright. And how could they not? I was, after all, the experience of her lifetime.

But I like to think this day in the palazzo she spent with me would, in turn, bring an even greater fire, passion and intensity to Sophia Loren's future film performances. And critics would comment upon it.

"What great love this lady must have known, they'd say, to convey such unbridled exultant passion. She sets the screen on fire!"

"Please," I would modestly write to all of them, "You're embarrassing me."

LOL... I was hearing the music from 'Boogie Nights' playing in the background.

LOL... I was hearing the music from 'Boogie Nights' playing in the background.

I guess I was a little more interested with the kind of playing that was going on in the foreground, General.

• Like 1

Couldn't believe you left Sophia without sayin' to her...and while doin' a Bogie impression...

"Well, we'll alwaysh have Roma, shweetheart!"

Couldn't believe you left Sophia without sayin' to her...and while doin' a Bogie impression...

"Well, we'll alwaysh have Roma, shweetheart!"

I don't think Sophia is into Bogie. She's more into the Cary Grant types, and, fortunately, I happen to look just like him.

(Hey, it's my time travel fantasy! I can look like anyone I want!)

I don't think Sophia is into Bogie. She's more into the Cary Grant types, and, fortunately, I happen to look just like him.

LOL

(...then I'll bet YOUR "Judy, Judy, Judy" line is MUCH more believable than George "Goober" Lindsey's ever was, eh?!) ;)

Okay, a quick review of the rules here: One trip only - check! 24 hours only - check!

My mission, should I choose to accept it (and I have): to awaken the womanhood in Sophia Loren.

The time: 1962.

The place: Italy.

The mission: well, you know the mission.

After checking to make sure that Carlo is out of town, I will spend a warm afternoon at Sophia's palazzo, where she will be wined, dined and charmed in a manner of which only I am capable. Once I finally take her warm hand in mine and gently kiss the back of it, only to see her knees start to slap together, I know that it will be time to send the musicians away. (Oh, I didn't mention the musicians? Yes, three of them were playing their violins in the background as we talked and ate).

We will go to her large bedroom and do what it is only natural for two beautiful (or even not-so-beautiful) human beings to do - non-stop for the next twenty hours, or so.

And at the end of it all my Sophia will be exuberant, beaming and screaming from the balcony, "Now, NOW, for the first time in my life, I know what it is like to be a WOMAN!!!" 

"Please, Sophia," I'd say, "You're embarrassing me . . . Tell me more."

"Never," she'd say, "has Mount Vesuvius had such an eruption as I have experienced this day."

"Sophia, please . . ."

And then I'd gently break the news to her.

"Well, gotta go."

"Gotta go? Mamma mia, what you talking about, my sweet bambino?"

"Sorry, Sophia, I don't have any choice. General Ripper only gave me 24 hours."

"General Ripper?" she'd scream, "What, you're in the army or somethin'?"

"No, not that. Tough to explain. But I have to go back to the future. But I accomplished my mission, I'm very glad to say."

"You're mission?" she'd scream, "What am I? Some play thing to you? And who the hell's this General Ripper? YOU RIP MY HEART OUT IF YOU LEAVE ME!!!!!"

Oh, the tears will flow from my beautiful Sophia, alright. And how could they not? I was, after all, the experience of her lifetime.

But I like to think this day in the palazzo she spent with me would, in turn, bring an even greater fire, passion and intensity to Sophia Loren's future film performances. And critics would comment upon it.

"What great love this lady must have known, they'd say, to convey such unbridled exultant passion. She sets the screen on fire!"

"Please," I would modestly write to all of them, "You're embarrassing me."

Damn.  That was amazing.  It seems I need to beef up my 24 hours on the ocean liner with Flynn ;-)

My favorite part was the multiple uses of "you're embarrassing me."

Cary Grant is pure hotness!!!! (yup, I said that out loud)

Damn.  That was amazing.  It seems I need to beef up my 24 hours on the ocean liner with Flynn ;-)

Perhaps you were too modest and omitted the part where Errol yelled out, "This has been most AMAZING 24 hours of my life! I'll never look at another woman again! Care to have another daiquiri, speedracing princess of my heart?"

The 24 hour restriction would be tough to work with on this, but I would go to a film distributor circa 1930 and "lease" a bunch of films now considered "lost". The films of course would not be returned as I will have made my "getaway" into the future with them. (If I wanted to be a Girl Scout about this, I suppose the films could be copied onto modern safety film and the originals returned to the hapless distributor on a follow up time travel visit.)

This begs the question of what I would use as money in 1930. You could buy an old 1920's vintage $500 or $1,000 bills on ebay for a few grand (which when adjusted for inflation is not a bad deal). The problem is that the person who owned that bill in 1930 would now be missing it (since it's now in my possession). It could be reported stolen, the serial number traced and then I had better be ready to beam myself back to where I came from when the authorities get wise to me! Buying up $20 and $50 gold coins in the present might be better, as those are not traceable. (Buy mediocre condition, so that I am not paying a big premium!) The best bet would be to take back gold or platinum bullion, sell it for legal cash and then go shopping!

Time travel raises a lot of ethical temptations and ethical issues. What's to stop me from just taking that film (or anything else that I want) without paying for it, and then making a perfect getaway where no law enforcement could pursue me? "Beam me up and out"!

The other major problem is interfering with a person's timeline as well as the potential disruptions to the historical fabric. If you are religious, you would have to wonder just how God would judge such a thing. Commit just one seemingly small act of commission or omission at the right time and place- and history takes a different course. Can you have parallel realities and concurrent but variant timelines?

The radical scientist Nikola Tesla felt that it was very possible to achieve and play with such possibilities. Some whistle blowers to black box govt programs have alleged that such breakthroughs have already been developed in deep secret projects. (Things like this are hard to prove and even harder to disprove, as neither you nor I have full access to all secret facilities!) Science fiction writers have long posed the issues and concerns that I have expressed above. I'm not sure humanity is ready for such a thing, as science may outstrip our moral and emotional maturity. Like giving a loaded gun to a 3 year old.

• Like 2

Time travel raises a lot of ethical temptations and ethical issues. What's to stop me from just taking that film (or anything else that I want) without paying for it, and then making a perfect getaway where no law enforcement could pursue me? "Beam me up and out"!

The other major problem is interfering with a person's timeline as well as the potential disruptions to the historical fabric. If you are religious, you would have to wonder just how God would judge such a thing. Commit just one seemingly small act of commission or omission at the right time and place- and history takes a different course. Can you have parallel realities and concurrent but variant timelines?

You raise some fascinating issues regarding time travel, Thelma Todd.

I've already used up my one ticket, unfortunately (having brought ecstatic joy and fulfillment to the life of a daughter of Italy- yep, that's the kind of guy I am -always thinking of others).

However, it would indeed be interesting to use that same time travel option in order to try to have an even more dramatic impact upon history by exploring one of a few thousand different options regarding some individuals who left a large imprint (not at all happy ones) upon man's history. How much of a dramatic turn would history have taken if something had happened to one of its key participants? That is hardly an original question, of course, but it has always been a fascinating one.

• Like 1

The 24 hour restriction would be tough to work with on this, but I would go to a film distributor circa 1930 and "lease" a bunch of films now considered "lost".

Well, Thelma, I guess there are a lot of old movie buffs who are sorry that you couln't have made that particular trip. (You might have been the saviour of London After Midnight, among others).

I know that 24 hours isn't much time but, while you're at it, I hope that you would also have time to meet that other Thelma Todd while you're in Hollywood (and give her a little warning about gangsters and boyfriends of a dubious nature, while you're at it).

• Like 1

I know that 24 hours isn't much time but, while you're at it, I hope that you would also have time to meet that other Thelma Todd while you're in Hollywood (and give her a little warning about gangsters and boyfriends of a dubious nature, while you're at it).

Eeeh! C'mon now,Tom! YOU know that one can talk 'til they're blue in the face to some women about how them likin' "bad boys" isn't the smartest thing in the world and yet THEY won't listen, DONCHA???!!! LOL

• Like 1

Eeeh! C'mon now,Tom! YOU know that one can talk 'til they're blue in the face to some women about how them likin' "bad boys" isn't the smartest thing in the world and yet THEY won't listen, DONCHA???!!! LOL

Yeah, but what if you took future headlines with you showing Thelma what would happen if . . .

Nah, you're right. Probably a waste of time.

• Like 1

Hi Tom and Dargo!

Thanks for the feedback! Of course I have always thought of my namesake in the context of time travel. The question of interfering in another person's timeline, even if it is to try and save them, is a thorny issue. One of them is to try and save a beloved star from their own early demise; the other is the temptation to intervene forcefully in the flow of events. The latter could lead to someone deciding that they could go back and kill some "bad" person, thereby saving the world a lot of grief. (The example of Hitler comes to mind). Would such a pre-emptive killing be ethical and moral from a theological standpoint? Should time travelers become "hit men", morally entitled to be judge and executioner based upon ex post facto knowledge?

Then there are the practical consequences. Let's assume some American born citizen, whose family fled Europe to America in the 1930's, and who had relatives who died in the camps, decides to "time travel" to a point where they have a clear shot at Hitler, killing him. The war never happens, the family never fled Europe. The "chrononaut" returns to 2014 America after committing the deed, only to find out that they have no home, no identity to return to! Because, the family never fled Europe, never came to the states, his mommy and daddy never met and therefore the assassin was never born! He goes back to his "home", only to find someone else living there and nobody had ever heard of him! He finds himself a homeless person in 2014, with no legal identity! You never happened pal!

What happens when you do go back and mess with events? Do you end up splitting all reality (or some of it) on parallel tracks? Do you create a distortion ripple in the time space fabric?

The legend of the Philadelphia Experiment is very illuminating here. According to various whistle blowers connected with that secret Navy effort to make a ship invisible in 1943 ( the USS Eldridge), just such a timeline problem was encountered. The famed scientist Nikola Tesla was consulted. Tesla favored an optical invisibility technique, and was horrified that what the experiment planners wanted instead was to temporarily remove the vessel from 1943 into the future, via a system of high energy coils creating some time wormhole. Tesla felt that doing this would be dangerous and have unpredictable consequences. According to a person connected with the project, what happened is that the ship was "removed" from 1943 and thrown forward into the 1980's! The effects were very harmful for the crew, but there was more: a destructive "ripple" or tear was created in the timeline which the 1943 researchers were not knowledgeable enough to fix. Story has it that they required technical assistance from future scientists time travelling back to 1943 to help undo the damage! Apparently, moving that ship around in time caused a time ripple that would have led to a planetary disaster in the 1980's.

If such a technology is possible, it would require a high level of technical understanding to avoid it's pitfalls, and a high level of ethical development to avoid the moral pitfalls and temptations. Some say the US government has been secretly working on time travel experiments since the 1930's, often using homeless children as guinea pigs (someone's got to go first to see if it's safe, and whether we can bring them back!)

I don't have the "need to know" high level clearance that would enable access to the most secret government projects and facilities. If I did I would be sworn to secrecy and my life in danger if I blabbed! We don't know what they are up to in secret. It may all be a tall tale, or it may well be real; I wouldn't get dogmatic about it either way.

To those interested in these fringe subjects, I would go to youtube and look up "Al Bielek" (whistle blower), "Montauk Project" and "Philadelphia Experiment". Have fun with it, and remember not to freak out the "ordinary people" with what you learn! :)

Another tantalising possibility would be to travel back into the 1920's and purchase a $1,000 worth of Paramount and Universal stock- take delivery of the certificates and have them issued in "bearer" form! (To avoid ownership issues over 90 years time!) Set up a "bearer" trust to receive the dividends in the meanwhile. (The dividends alone would amount to a pretty penny over such a length of time!) That amount of stock today would be worth tens of millions.....

Dream on girl.......!

Another tantalising possibility would be to travel back into the 1920's and purchase a $1,000 worth of Paramount and Universal stock- take delivery of the certificates and have them issued in "bearer" form! (To avoid ownership issues over 90 years time!) Set up a "bearer" trust to receive the dividends in the meanwhile. (The dividends alone would amount to a pretty penny over such a length of time!) That amount of stock today would be worth tens of millions.....

Dream on girl.......!

Wow, you are on a roll. The problem is that you'd have to pick only one. Also, no ill effects by adjusting the past in my scenario. If you saved Thelma Todd, she wouldn't take roles or anything from anyone else. She could have lived to be 100, won more Oscars than any living actor, and no one would have been adversely affected. Also, it's only in the movie realm. If it was history in general, that would lead to all kinds of consequences and be perfect for a different thread. Maybe not on a movie chat board tho...
  • Like 1

Would such a pre-emptive killing be ethical and moral from a theological standpoint? Should time travelers become "hit men", morally entitled to be judge and executioner based upon ex post facto knowledge?

Then there are the practical consequences. Let's assume some American born citizen, whose family fled Europe to America in the 1930's, and who had relatives who died in the camps, decides to "time travel" to a point where they have a clear shot at Hitler, killing him. The war never happens, the family never fled Europe. The "chrononaut" returns to 2014 America after committing the deed, only to find out that they have no home, no identity to return to! Because, the family never fled Europe, never came to the states, his mommy and daddy never met and therefore the assassin was never born! He goes back to his "home", only to find someone else living there and nobody had ever heard of him! He finds himself a homeless person in 2014, with no legal identity! You never happened pal!

Thelma, others may ponder the moral or ethical right of a time travel assassin to knock off a bad guy, but I am far more intrigued by the domino effects of the practical consequences, such as you speculated, of a history altering event such as a Hitler assassination, for example. With a depression the didn't end when it did. With the millions of lives altered, both positively and negatively, as a result. The assassin's parents might never have met. The time travel assassin returns to 2014, as a consequence, in some kind of time warp or alternative universe.

I'd love to watch an episode of this nature on the Twilight Zone except for the fact that if it had really happened I might not be able to since Rod Serling might never have been born.

• Like 1

Thelma, others may ponder the moral or ethical right of a time travel assassin to knock off a bad guy, but I am far more intrigued by the domino effects of the practical consequences, such as you speculated, of a history altering event such as a Hitler assassination, for example. With a depression the didn't end when it did. With the millions of lives altered, both positively and negatively, as a result. The assassin's parents might never have met. The time travel assassin returns to 2014, as a consequence, in some kind of time warp or alternative universe.

I'd love to watch an episode of this nature on the Twilight Zone except for the fact that if it had really happened I might not be able to since Rod Serling might never have been born.

I love the Twilight Zone but I'm thinking more of the old Star Trek episode were Kirk and Spock chase a mad Dr. Bones into the past and have to let Joan Collins die.... BUT, NO DOMINO EFFECT in my reality. Guilt free history tinkering...

Yeah, yeah...consequences, shmonsequences. What I wanna know and what hasn't been established here yet in this thing is...

Would I be travelin' with the talking dog and that four-eyed little nerd?

(...'cause I always LIKED the dog, but that annoying kid would DEFINITELY have to stay home!)

Yeah, yeah...consequences, shmonsequences. What I wanna know and what hasn't been established here yet in this thing is...

Would I be travelin' with the talking dog and that four-eyed little nerd?

(...'cause I always LIKED the dog, but that annoying kid would DEFINITELY have to stay home!)

Nope, no Mr. Peabody or Sherman. All by your lonesome. You could take on the appearance of anyone you wish to. You'd jump into someone's body like an old 'Heaven Can Wait' plot.

Nope, no Mr. Peabody or Sherman. All by your lonesome. You could take on the appearance of anyone you wish to. You'd jump into someone's body like an old 'Heaven Can Wait' plot.

Now WHY in heaven's name would I want to downgrade into the body of Warren Beatty???

(...hey, if Tom can say he looks like Cary Grant, then what's the problem here, HUH?!) ;)

Now WHY in heaven's name would I want to downgrade into the body of Warren Beatty???

(...hey, if Tom can say he looks like Cary Grant, then what's the problem here, HUH?!) ;)

You would be 'downgrading' to Warren's body to visit who'? Natalie Wood? Julie Christie? I guess you could open the phone book and just pick a name. If it was Madonna, you might come back as Dennis Rodman.

Well, for gosh sakes, let's be reasonable about this. If I didn't look like Cary Grant, how do you think I was able to get into Sophia's palazzo? ;)

Original comment deleted because it was not in keeping with original poster's intent for this topic.

Edited by SansFin

I know of no "facts" concerning this but there exists a theory which I am wont to believe might be possible because of the logic:

Time may be similar to light, gravity, electricity, magnetism and other observable non-physical phenomena in that waves propagate at the speed of the medium.

If that makes no or little sense: imagine that you have a guitar string stretched taut from the front of a boxcar to the rear and the train is in motion. You can pluck the string at the rear of the boxcar and the wave you are creating will reach the front of the boxcar before the spot on the string where you plucked it reaches that point in space. This happens because waves can propagate in physical objects faster than the object is moving.

That does not happen in non-material things such as light, electricity or etc.. A wave which you create travels at the same speed at which the thing moves. You can put a red filter on a light bulb so that all light which now leaves it is red but that does not change in any way the light which it emitted prior to your placing the filter.

The effect on time travel is this:

It is 2000.

You travel to 1950 and make a change.

You return to 2000. All things are the same as before your trip.

You wait until 2010.

You travel to 1959. The world you find has changed because of what you did on your first trip.

You immediately travel to 1961. The world you find has not been changed by your first trip because the changes you propagated have not yet reached that point.

In my world or scenario, nothing changes... No wave... Everyone is giving this too much thought. If you save someone's life, some other person would have created roles, movies, whatever so NOTHING IS CHANGED. Too many movies have been done about time travel that people can't seem to tune out the potential consequences. There are NO lingering consequences or big changes caused from your trip back. I guess I should have been clearer in the original post.