Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

If I could turn back time!!

In my world or scenario, nothing changes... No wave... Everyone is giving this too much thought. If you save someone's life, some other person would have created roles, movies, whatever so NOTHING IS CHANGED. Too many movies have been done about time travel that people can't seem to tune out the potential consequences. There are NO lingering consequences or big changes caused from your trip back. I guess I should have been clearer in the original post.

Sorry, General, but it just didn't work out that way, at least in my case. The world, as she perceived it, did change for Sophia Loren because of my 24 hour time travel trip with her.

Not only did she have what was probably the most physically exalting experience of her life, but she discovered the GREAT LOVE of it, as well. And it forever changed her, making her a better person, I like to think, as well as more rounded as an actress.

I'd say more, but I'm too modest to continue.

In my world or scenario, nothing changes... No wave... Everyone is giving this too much thought. If you save someone's life, some other person would have created roles, movies, whatever so NOTHING IS CHANGED. Too many movies have been done about time travel that people can't seem to tune out the potential consequences. There are NO lingering consequences or big changes caused from your trip back. I guess I should have been clearer in the original post.

But there are always consequences (for good and ill) when you alter time.

The butterfly effect.

But there are always consequences (for good and ill) when you alter time.

The butterfly effect.

Not in my world...LOL. This is MY scenario that was supposed to be a guilty pleasure or an intervention to keep someone alive. YOU ARE GIVING IT TOO MUCH THOUGHT... Take a break, and enjoy your 24 hours. No paranoia associated... ENJOY yourselves without the background clutter of other movie plots... Guilt-free and consequence free (except prolonging the life of someone AFTER YOU LEAVE possibly, which has no consequences either).

Not in my world...LOL. This is MY scenario that was supposed to be a guilty pleasure or an intervention to keep someone alive. YOU ARE GIVING IT TOO MUCH THOUGHT... Take a break, and enjoy your 24 hours. No paranoia associated... ENJOY yourselves without the background clutter of other movie plots... Guilt-free and consequence free (except prolonging the life of someone AFTER YOU LEAVE possibly, which has no consequences either).

I'm confused.  Is someone goes back in time and keeps someone alive how can there be no consequences?   So I prevent Carole Lombard from going on that plane but since there can be no consequences she just goes into retirement and we never hear from her again.   What about Clark?   He decides to join the fight in WWII anyway leaving Carole at the ranch?   

No prolonging the life of someone,  especially someone in the public eye, will have public consequences.    

In my world or scenario, nothing changes... No wave... Everyone is giving this too much thought. If you save someone's life, some other person would have created roles, movies, whatever so NOTHING IS CHANGED. 

I apologize that my posts were not in keeping with your intent. I am sorry to say that I do not understand your intent as it seems to me that to save a person must have consequences.

I apologize that my posts were not in keeping with your intent. I am sorry to say that I do not understand your intent as it seems to me that to save a person must have consequences.

That'll teach ya to talk about going back in time in a thread that's titled "IF I COULD TURN BACK TIME!!"

I'm confused. Is someone goes back in time and keeps someone alive how can there be no consequences? So I prevent Carole Lombard from going on that plane but since there can be no consequences she just goes into retirement and we never hear from her again. What about Clark? He decides to join the fight in WWII anyway leaving Carole at the ranch?

No prolonging the life of someone, especially someone in the public eye, will have public consequences.

If you go back to my multitude attempts at removing all the background clutter, you will see at one point where I say 'new roles would be created for someone who is saved so that no domino effect would exist'. No one will miss out on a role or not win an award or ANYTHING...

OK, to remove all doubt... LOL. If you save someone, a meteor would land on them (and only them) right after you leave so NO CONSEQUENCES exist... LOL... people can't seem to disconnect from existing movie plots. So let this thread turn into 'I want to play tonsil hockey, dance, drink, **** _______' (fill in the blank). I was trying to avoid people's illusions of what an actor was/is and more of where would I deny fate? But, no one would want to do anything because the fear of setting off a series of events means going nowhere... LOL Which defeats the original intent.... LOL

If you go back to my multitude attempts at removing all the background clutter, you will see at one point where I say 'new roles would be created for someone who is saved so that no domino effect would exist'. No one will miss out in a role or not win an award or ANYTHING...

OK, to remove all doubt... LOL. If you save someone, a meteor would land on them (and only them) right after you leave so NO CONSEQUENCES exist... LOL... people can't seem to disconnect from existing movie plots. So let this thread turn into 'I want to play tonsil hockey, dance, drink, **** _______' (fill in the blank). I was trying to avoid people's illusions of what an actor was/is and more of where would I deny fate? But, no one would want to do anything because the fear of setting of a series of events means going nowhere... LOL Which defeats the original intent.... LOL

Hey, I hear you and of course this type of 'what if' can get crazy so I was mostly pulling your leg.

But with regards to 'new roles would be created'.   I think Gable would notice if someone else tried to take Lombard's place.  ;)

people can't seem to disconnect from existing movie plots. 

Movie plots are a tiny fraction of the subject.

Concepts and paradoxes re: time travel predate movies by many centuries. There is a rich body also of current literature available ranging from soft science fiction which is quite enjoyable to hard science which has math which I do not understand.

One of my favorite novels is: The Guns of the South by Harry Turtledove. Dr. Turtledove is an historian and so his depiction of details is quite accurate except for the premise that a group supplied Confederate States of America with AK-47s so that they would win the war.

One of my favorite novels is: The Guns of the South by Harry Turtledove. Dr. Turtledove is an historian and so his depiction of details is quite accurate except for the premise that a group supplied Confederate States of America with AK-47s so that they would win the war.

Yeah, everybody misses the days of picking cotton (as long as they have SLAVES to pick it).... LOL. Here's a newsflash to your 'historian': would have taken WAY more than a few assault weapons to win the civil war. The North had all the factories, the resources, all access to ports, and an almost unlimited supply of soldiers. The South didn't lose because of a lack of weapons, they lost because they were holding onto a SLAVE system for labor, they thought the South could survive independently from the North, and that they would rather kill their brothers to preserve that system. (Translation: they needed a BRAIN transplant).

OK, sorry for the history sidetrack rant... I'm logging out and losing this bookmark for awhile. I like this board but I'm finding a compulsion to respond sometimes... Not cool... The only way to stop is to stop reading... LOL. Peace and aloha!

I'm confused. Is someone goes back in time and keeps someone alive how can there be no consequences? So I prevent Carole Lombard from going on that plane but since there can be no consequences she just goes into retirement and we never hear from her again. What about Clark? He decides to join the fight in WWII anyway leaving Carole at the ranch?

No prolonging the life of someone, especially someone in the public eye, will have public consequences.

General (the question is for you even though I am using James' quotation):

To use the Carole Lombard example.....so she doesn't die in the crash, but lives, married to Gable. She films THEY ALL KISSED THE BRIDE, instead of Crawford, and makes other films over the next few years. Gable doesn't dissipate so quickly, doesn't marry anyone else, BUT wouldn't have had the child born after his death. So Lombard's savior returns to 2014, and nothing should have changed, other that film history books, BUT Gable's child, in her 50s,, will never have been. So there are always going to be consequences, unless as you state with the meteor, that person's time had indeed come, and would not be able to remain alive much longer.

General (the question is for you even though I am using James' quotation):

To use the Carole Lombard example.....so she doesn't die in the crash, but lives, married to Gable. She films THEY ALL KISSED THE BRIDE, instead of Crawford, and makes other films over the next few years. Gable doesn't dissipate so quickly, doesn't marry anyone else, BUT wouldn't have had the child born after his death. So Lombard's savior returns to 2014, and nothing should have changed, other that film history books, BUT Gable's child, in her 50s,, will never have been. So there are always going to be consequences, unless as you state with the meteor, that person's time had indeed come, and would not be able to remain alive much longer.

I dunno about this, Arturo. Ya see, I'm thinkin' here that if Joan doesn't get that part she MAY have taken out her frustrations on little Christina even MORE!!!

(...and so, can we REALLY say "NOBODY gets hurts" here?!) LOL

• Like 1

I dunno about this, Arturo. Ya see, I'm thinkin' here that if Joan doesn't get that part she MAY have taken out her frustrations on little Christina even MORE!!!

(...and so, can we REALLY say "NOBODY gets hurts" here?!) LOL

Don't forget little Christopher. Boys hurt too.

Don't forget little Christopher. Boys hurt too.

Eeh! We're tougher than girls, dude!

(...and besides, because boys NEVER hang up their clothes and just throw 'em on the floor of their bedrooms, the chances of Christopher bein' berated about hangin' his clothes on "metal hangers" is VASTLY diminished...didn't think of THAT, now did ya?!!!)