Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Actors Whose Images/Personas Have Not Aged Well

Lana Turner, though an amazing actress, her image hasn't aged well because people prefer melodrama as a not-so serious subject anymore as it equivocates to soap opera status. In fact, "soap opera" has been used a lot by modern reviewers to describe her performances and her films, i.e. "The Douglas Sirk soap." 

Any thoughts about Lana Turner for this category?

My first thought would be that Lana Turner might be more well known today then she actually deserves (based solely on her film legacy).

e.g. does the murder case and her overall personal life 'issues' outshine her actual acting career? 

Lana Turner, though an amazing actress, her image hasn't aged well because people prefer melodrama as a not-so serious subject anymore as it equivocates to soap opera status. In fact, "soap opera" has been used a lot by modern reviewers to describe her performances and her films, i.e. "The Douglas Sirk soap."

Yeah, I mentioned earlier that she basically had two characters that she played throughout her career; the unapologetic sex goddess and the sex goddess who was trying to make good, even when put in trying situations. That tends to get boring rather quickly.

If someone is fan of an artist they should be familiar with that artist's work,  but I don't see a need to know about that artist's 'real stories' (i.e.  their personal life).

So to me the 'real reason to look up to them' is based only on their work.   To respect them for their work especially if one is involved in the same art form.   .e.g.  I look up to certain jazz guitar players but based on how they play not because of what they did or didn't do in their private lives.

Looking on my post, I may not have phrased what I was trying to say very well.  What I was trying to say is that the media perpetuates this image of Monroe and Hepburn as being the ultimate symbols of glamour and fashion, and while Hepburn, was very fashionable and elegant and Monroe was glamorous, that's not all that they were.  I wish that the media would also promote some other aspects of Hepburn and Monroe's lives aside from the superficial aside from how they looked on the outside. 

I do agree with you that one doesn't have to know about someone's backstory to be a true fan of someone.  I base even a desire to learn more about someone based on the work of theirs that I've seen.  If someone was a bad actor, like Gary Cooper for example, I wouldn't even have a desire to learn more about them.  For me, a collection of good performances is a jumping off point to learn more about them.  That's me though, not everyone may be as curious as I am or have a desire to read autobiographies, biographies, watch documentaries, etc.  I also agree that sharing in the same art form as someone, that admiring their technique in their songs would be a reason to look up to them or at least be a fan.

I guess what I'm trying to say, is that I agree that one doesn't have to know the real person to have a reason to look up to them.  There are a variety of different reasons why you'd want to-- whether it's through their work, their real life, or some other reason.

My first thought would be that Lana Turner might be more well known today then she actually deserves (based solely on her film legacy).

e.g. does the murder case and her overall personal life 'issues' outshine her actual acting career?

What acting career? (Just kidding...sort of). As to your question, I think it definitely does, as her issues were reflected in her roles, and still remains a large part if why people remember her.

Yeah, I mentioned earlier that she basically had two characters that she played throughout her career; the unapologetic sex goddess and the sex goddess who was trying to make good, even when put in trying situations. That tends to get boring rather quickly.

Modern audiences used to get that on their daily soap operas like "As The World Turns" and "All My Children." Now they get it through teen soaps like "Degrassi" and anything else on MTV that isn't music. Reality shows play up the melodrama too. 

Modern audiences used to get that on their daily soap operas like "As The World Turns" and "All My Children." Now they get it through teen soaps like "Degrassi" and anything else on MTV that isn't music. Reality shows play up the melodrama too. 

Well, as long as they keep buying soap, it's all good.

IMO Turner gets a bad rap.  She played very credibly in plenty of dramas ranging from crime movies (Johnny Eager; The Postman Always Rings Twice) to serious dramas  that often get labeled "soaps" by critics like Leonard Maltin who are too lazy to dig any deeper into a movie's themes (Homecoming; Imitation of Life). And then there are her performances in films like The Bad and the Beautiful, which even Maltin can't  dismiss. IMO her talent is at least the equal of Monroe's.

Turner hasn't really aged "well" or "poorly" so much as like most actors and actresses from her era, her movies only get exposure on TCM and in a handful of repertory houses.  Which means that yes, she's largely forgotten.  But few of her characters are really "dated" in the manner of most of the other actors and actresses mentioned here.

• Like 1

IMO Turner gets a bad rap.  She played very credibly in plenty of dramas ranging from crime movies (Johnny Eager; The Postman Always Rings Twice) to serious dramas  that often get labeled "soaps" by critics like Leonard Maltin who are too lazy to dig any deeper into a movie's themes (Homecoming; Imitation of Life). And then there's her performances in films like The Bad and the Beautiful, which even Maltin can't  dismiss. IMO her talent is at least the equal of Monroe's.

Tuuner hasn't really aged "well" or "poorly" so much as like most actors and actresses from her era, her movies only get exposure on TCM and in a handful of repertory houses.  Which means that yes, she's largely forgotten.  But few of her characters are really "dated" in the manner of most of the other actors and actresses mentioned here.

I haven't seen much of Turner's work; however, I loved The Postman Always Rings Twice.  It was a great film noir and Lana Turner turns in one of the ultimate femme fatale performances.  Her appearance in the white shorts, white crop top and white turban is an iconic image of classic Hollywood.  I've also seen her in The Three Musketeers with Gene Kelly and Angela Lansbury; but that performance (or movie for that matter) isn't anything amazing. 

Looking over her filmography, she has a fairly impressive résumé.  It's a shame that she doesn't get the acclaim that she deserves.  It seems with many of the "glamour girls," they're unfairly lumped into the "just a pretty face" category who is just in the film because she can fill out a sweater.  I don't think Lana deserves to be in this group. 

• Like 1

Lana Turner was an exceptional actress. The Postman always Rings Twice is the standout, but Peyton Place, Madame X, Green Dolphin Street, Somewhere I'll Find You, and The Three Musketeers also showcase her at her best.

I wouldn't call Turner an exceptional actress;  as in the same 'class' as Bette Davis,  Greer Garson, Stanwyck and a few others.  

For one thing Turner was featured in films at a very young age with little to no experience.   To me this lack of experience shows in those early films.   Turner did improve and I feel she does a very good job in her later films.   The problem I have is that many of these 50's films are not the type of films (genre),  I'm interested in.     Of course as a fan of noir I'll always have Postman.

• Like 1

Finally, as a side note to those who look up to Monroe because she shows that "heavier women are beautiful".  I wish that they'd actually watch one of Monroe's films and see that she was not all that heavy.  

I recently saw the pleated gold lamé dress Marilyn wore to the premiere of THE SEVEN YEAR ITCH in a costume exhibit. She looked to be about 5'5"-5'6" and a modern size 8. Narrow waist, full bust-nice.

I have no idea why that girl called MM heavy. Obviously a teen's narrow perception from a photo.

Finally, as a side note to those who look up to Monroe because she shows that "heavier women are beautiful".  I wish that they'd actually watch one of Monroe's films and see that she was not all that heavy.  

I recently saw the pleated gold lamé dress Marilyn wore to the premiere of THE SEVEN YEAR ITCH in a costume exhibit. She looked to be about 5'5"-5'6" and a modern size 8. Narrow waist, full bust-nice.

I have no idea why that girl called MM heavy. Obviously a teen's narrow perception from a photo.

And today's oppressive standards of beauty today. 

Monroe was a full figured gal,  but I wouldn't call her heavy (not even close).         Most likely that teen's perception is based on the POV that any size greater than 7 is 'heavy'.

IMO Turner gets a bad rap.  She played very credibly in plenty of dramas ranging from crime movies (Johnny Eager; The Postman Always Rings Twice) to serious dramas  that often get labeled "soaps" by critics like Leonard Maltin who are too lazy to dig any deeper into a movie's themes (Homecoming; Imitation of Life). And then there are her performances in films like The Bad and the Beautiful, which even Maltin can't  dismiss. IMO her talent is at least the equal of Monroe's.

Turner hasn't really aged "well" or "poorly" so much as like most actors and actresses from her era, her movies only get exposure on TCM and in a handful of repertory houses.  Which means that yes, she's largely forgotten.  But few of her characters are really "dated" in the manner of most of the other actors and actresses mentioned here.

I agree that Lana gets a bad tap,.as in the person who half seriously posted "what career". She was in films from.1937.until the.1970s, that's something like.40 years. Except for the first couple of years or so,.she was always a star. She Was one of MGMs biggest.stars of.the 1940s,.and remained.a big star into the 1950s.and.1960s. She was a compliant studio trained star, so she accepted whatever was given her, but she did quite well in even the hoariest of her vehicles. Even so, she has a handful of true classics in her filmography, along.with many others that are entertaining and eminently watchable,. If her private life.and.scandals are more familiar to audiences.now (don't know if that's.true), her early films at.WB and long sojourn at MGM means that many of these movies are regularly broadcast on TCM, So here at least, people.should be familiar.with her movies.

Monroe was a full figured gal,  but I wouldn't call her heavy (not even close).         Most likely that teen's perception is based on the POV that any size greater than 7 is 'heavy'.

Marilyn was heavier than usual when she made.SOME LIKE IT HOT and LET'S MAKE LOVE.at.the end of the decade. I believe she was either pregnant or had just had a miscarriage during the filming of these. In surviving footage of her last incomplete movie, SOMETHING'S GOT TO.GIVE,.she looks thin and beautiful. What a shame. But the point is, as mentioned here, she had a full figure, but could only be considered heavy when compared to the other 50s icon, Audrey Hepburn.

that and tatts (especially on females)

Haha I read that as "t*ts for tats"

Are you saying tattoos are "oppressive standards"?

Can you imagine Marilyn's or Lana's beautiful ivory skin with some gray design?

3886063_f520.jpg

Whenever I see a young girl with tattoos I think to myself, "You'll regret that later". So shortsighted. 

I would define a "full figured gal" as one with big t**s, ample hips, and a curvaceous posterior. That certainly causes no problem for me.

• Like 1

Whenever I see a young girl with tattoos I think to myself, "You'll regret that later". So shortsighted.

Well, for long range planning you probably can't beat this:

do-not-resuscitate-600.jpg

DO NOT RESUSCITATE

that and tatts (especially on females)

Haha I read that as "t*ts for tats"

Are you saying tattoos are "oppressive standards"?

Can you imagine Marilyn's or Lana's beautiful ivory skin with some gray design?

3886063_f520.jpg

I wonder if anyone has ever gotten a sex change operation, on a whim.