Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Missing thread

They stuffed it into a ketchup bottle and threw it into the Pacific along with everyone's comments.  You can expect a reply any month now from an aging Japanese film buff who's hiding out somewhere out in a South Seas island jungle.

• Like 1

They stuffed it into a ketchup bottle and threw it into the Pacific along with everyone's comments.  You can expect a reply any month now from an aging Japanese film buff who's hiding out somewhere out in a South Seas island jungle.

See--Insult ME, and the thread gets deleted. I'm a V.I.P. :)

The Administrator has known to take threads and tear them into a thousand little bitty pieces then bury it alive.  :P

I prefer to believe that they are far more sophisticated.

I envision them using custom software to transform the linear text into a pattern and then using a state-of-the-art printer to transfer it to soft cloth and then Fed-Ex-ing the cloth to Jamaica so that a High Priestess of Vodou can fashion it into a doll. They use the time required for that to also engrave dire warning points and threats of shadow bans on pins. 

I would fear an onset of idiopathic sharp pains beginning two weeks after making an offending post.

• Like 1

at the risk of kicking a hornet's nest...

I would be quite surprised if the thread had been removed without mention or warning...the new(?) moderators (plural emphasized because it is a good thing) are not as fond of the lysol and scrub brush as the old guy was.

The moderators will issue a warning if there is incivility, but if the subject goes to far astray I believe they will not hesitate to yank it. This has happened before and I respect their judgment in those cases.

Edited by laffite

The moderators will issue a warning if there is incivility, but if the subject goes to far astray I believe they will not hesitate to yank it. This has happened twice recently. Both threads were launched and were gone within hours. In both cases, they were correct in doing so IMO. But it has to be pretty bad. Frankly, I respect their judgment in both cases.

In the past, specific to Finance,  a moderator has stated that he likes to joke around and not be take him seriously.    That type of comment from a third party can help a new member of this forum.   

In the past, specific to Finance,  a moderator has stated that he likes to joke around and not be take him seriously.    That type of comment from a third party can help a new member of this forum.   

James, I can't decipher what your saying there ... at all  ..

...but for the record, to avoid misunderstanding, I was not referring to finance ... just speaking generally ...

==

• Like 1

James, I can't decipher what your saying there ... at all  ..

...but for the record, to avoid misunderstanding, I was not referring to finance ... just speaking generally ...

==

Over a year ago (could be two years),   a new poster was upset with Finance;  they didn't understand his style; e.g. one liners,  appears to start a discussion about something but often just bails out right in the middle,   the 'wide' jokes that can be hard for some to follow and might appear to be an attack on that person etc...

The moderator wrote a post that said something to the effect;  Hey that is just Finance.  He is a long time member here,  a good guy so I recommend you give him a chance. 

I wish I would have saved that moderator's post.     Anyhow,  I felt the moderator was on target.    I have NO problem with Finance but the 'issue' here was that a new poster (Genrip),  didn't know the Finance style and Genrip got a little bent out of shape. 

Note something similar happens with Dargo from time to time.    One just has to know when they are pulling one's leg or not.  That isn't always easy with written communication.  

Note something similar happens with Dargo from time to time.    One just has to know when they are pulling one's leg or not.  That isn't always easy with written communication.  

Not quite, James. What usually happens in MY case is that some LONG-TIME posters around here who might be a little, let us say, "insecure", and NOT some newbie, will get tired of my shenanigans and place me on their ignore function, as I'm usually very, let us say, "gentle", with the newbies at first!

(...just for clarification purposes here, ya see) LOL

;)

Not quite, James. What usually happens in MY case is that some LONG-TIME posters around here who might be a little, let us say, "insecure", and NOT some newbie, will get tired of my shenanigans and place me on their ignore function, as I'm usually very, let us say, "gentle", with the newbies at first!

(...just for clarification purposes here, ya see) LOL

;)

Dargo, I'll have you know, I have you on "ignore" all the time. Otherwise I catch this infectious pun syndrome, and  after reading a post of yours', wander around for the rest of the day, making outrageous puns at everything I see.

I call it my "Embargo on Dargo".

• Like 1

Dargo, I'll have you know, I have you on "ignore" all the time. Otherwise I catch this infectious pun syndrome, and  after reading a post of yours', wander around for the rest of the day, making outrageous puns at everything I see.

I call it my "Embargo on Dargo".

Naaah! I ain't believin' ANY o' THAT, MissW! And MAINLY because you quoted me AND even REPLIED to me here!

(...but truth be known, I wouldn't blame ya at all if this WERE true!) ;)

LOL

I knew you'd point out that if I have you on "ignore", how then could I quote you and respond to your post?

It's extremely complicated. Something to do with seeing your posts through the back door of this site. I could try and get SansFin to explain it, as she is very good at explaining complicated things.

But I would not put her through that.

Briefly: I "ignore" your posts, but the aluminum foil hat I always wear reflects them out into space, where they remain for exactly one light year second before appearing in  the rear view mirror of my foil cap (I think of everything.) I do have to read them backwards, but that's the only way I can take them.

I hope you believe me. Why would I make this up?    :ph34r:  (facsimile of tin foil cap)

• Like 1

Briefly: I "ignore" your posts, but the aluminum foil hat I always wear reflects them out into space, where they remain for exactly one light year second before appearing in  the rear view mirror of my foil cap (I think of everything.) I do have to read them backwards, but that's the only way I can take them.

I hope you believe me. Why would I make this up?    :ph34r:  (facsimile of tin foil cap)

Well first here MissW, I must say I'm delighted to learn that AT LEAST you Canadians DON'T add that "superfluous letter 'i'" in the word "aluminum" like those "you-know-who" people do, and which gives me hope that ANOTHER "superfluous" letter you people still use up your way will soon fall by the wayside, TOO!

And secondly, I might call to your attention that aluminum foil hats are SOOOOO "2013", and that PRESENTLY people are utilizing chapeaus(sorry for the French here) made of a titanium alloy construct and which have proven to be FAR superior in these regards.

(...in fact I understand there's a certain haberdashery located right next door to the Timmy's in Central Toronto and which is now carrying these particular little numbers...you may wish to check this out for yourself, IF that is you're at all into the latest and greatest things)

I knew you'd point out that if I have you on "ignore", how then could I quote you and respond to your post?

It's extremely complicated. Something to do with seeing your posts through the back door of this site. I could try and get SansFin to explain it, as she is very good at explaining complicated things.

But I would not put her through that.

It requires the complicated synchronated action of clinking on one link. The posts by those who are on: "Ignore" appear as a notice that the poster is being ignored. A link in that line is: "View It Anyway."

I must wonder if all here are aware of the: AFDB:

http://zapatopi.net/afdb/

Just heard on the news Weird Al has made a come back.

If you liked that one, I highly recommend his parody of that horrid "Blurred Lines" song.  Weird Al's song is called "Word Crimes" and it's all about the bad grammar that pollutes social media, texting, etc.  As someone who tries to portray themselves as knowledgeable and intelligent through the use of proper spelling, punctuation, grammar, etc. I found this song very amusing. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Gv0H-vPoDc

• Like 1

Over a year ago (could be two years),   a new poster was upset with Finance;  they didn't understand his style; e.g. one liners,  appears to start a discussion about something but often just bails out right in the middle,   the 'wide' jokes that can be hard for some to follow and might appear to be an attack on that person etc...

The moderator wrote a post that said something to the effect;  Hey that is just Finance.  He is a long time member here,  a good guy so I recommend you give him a chance. 

I wish I would have saved that moderator's post.     Anyhow,  I felt the moderator was on target.    I have NO problem with Finance but the 'issue' here was that a new poster (Genrip),  didn't know the Finance style and Genrip got a little bent out of shape. 

Is there a "leg pulling" emoticom?.......Incidentally, that poster you are talking about from 2 years ago had a shelf life of about one week. Right now, he's likely comtemplating his navel at an asylum somewhere in the continent of North America.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings