Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Blackboard Jungle

Poor Kiley;   he felt music would smooth the savage Morrow.   But he clealry didn't understand the inter beast brewing inside the young man. 

I guess Kiley thought that Bix Beiderbecke would send 'em but instead those kids sent that vinyl flyin', boy! :lol:

15oauya.jpg

The irrepressible Artie West admiring an irreplacable Bix Beiderbecke 78.  :D 

sfijk9.jpg

Well thanks for nothing.   :)     Artie isn't only breaking a record.  He is breaking my heart!    Too bad Artie wasn't more like the guy he was named after.  Artie Shaw. 

Artie isn't only breaking a record.  He is breaking my heart!    Too bad Artie wasn't more like the guy he was named after.  Artie Shaw.

Just for you, James----Artie Shaw and the great Helen Forrest in "All The Things You Are".  This is one of those renditions I could play all the way from Washington to Baltimore  and never get tired of it.

Artie isn't only breaking a record.  He is breaking my heart!    Too bad Artie wasn't more like the guy he was named after.  Artie Shaw.

Just for you, James----Artie Shaw and the great Helen Forrest in "All The Things You Are".  This is one of those renditions I could play all the way from Washington to Baltimore  and never get tired of it.

Well thanks.   I'm very aware of this Shaw\Forest version.   All The Things You Are is one of my favorite Kern song (and that is saying a lot since he wrote so many great songs).     I love when nice singing is combined with great improv like it is here.

As for Morrow as Artie;  Well to me he is too old for the part.  i.e.  he looks too harden for a 17\18 year old.   Yea,  growing up in that area can age one quickly but Morrow was 25\26 when this movie was made and to me came off as an experience punk instead of a punk in training.

Actually, I thought Poitier looked too old for the part of a student - he was 30 years old. He looked older than the teacher, Glenn Ford. Vic Morrow as 25/26 years old - but had a young enough face to pull of the part of a bad student very well.

I agree that Poitier looked too old for the part of a student.   I didn't mention him since the topic was Vic Morrow.   Also,  it wasn't just how Morrow looked but how he played the part;  Like a criminal with experience instead of a teen just learning to be a criminal.  

Fair enough. I wouldn't have thought that he would be a teen in high school learning how to be a tough guy - I wasn't surprised he already had the skills. I just thought Morrow was very believable in the part and did an excellent job - and I do understand you don't feel the same way.

I agree with you, he was perfect for the part. I come from a large family from the wrong side of the tracks and we were all in school in the 50's. I had several uncles, very tough and scholastically challenged, who were older than most others. That's what comes from being held back a lot.

I agree that Poitier looked too old for the part of a student.   I didn't mention him since the topic was Vic Morrow.   Also,  it wasn't just how Morrow looked but how he played the part;  Like a criminal with experience instead of a teen just learning to be a criminal.  

FIVE years before BLACKBOARDJUNGLE, in which Poitier played a high school student, he played a doctor in NO WAY OUT.

Fair enough. I wouldn't have thought that he would be a teen in high school learning how to be a tough guy - I wasn't surprised he already had the skills. I just thought Morrow was very believable in the part and did an excellent job - and I do understand you don't feel the same way.

I think Morrow was as believable as he could be and did some fine acting given being miscast.   Poitier does also.    But in the scenes where either of the two of them are facing off with Ford,  I still get a "adult facing off with adult" type of vibe instead of "MAN facing off with TEEN" type of vibe.    Of course maybe if I was the producers I still would have cast Morrow and Poitier since they were very good actors;  i.e.  it would have been very difficult to find actual 17 year old actors that had acting chops close to those two.

I think Morrow was as believable as he could be and did some fine acting given being miscast.   Poitier does also.    But in the scenes where either of the two of them are facing off with Ford,  I still get a "adult facing off with adult" type of vibe instead of "MAN facing off with TEEN" type of vibe.    Of course maybe if I was the producers I still would have cast Morrow and Poitier since they were very good actors;  i.e.  it would have been very difficult to find actual 17 year old actors that had acting chops close to those two.

If Spencer Tracy was as great an actor as people say, maybe HE could have played a 17 year old in BLACKBOARD JUNGLE when he was an old-looking 55ish.

I am today ONE YEAR YOUNGER than Tracey was when he did GUESS WHO'S COMING TO DINNER.  But I LOOK TWENTY years YOUNGER!  I was shocked to find out he was only 64 when he died.  He looked so much older.  No way you'd have cast him as a teenager even WHEN he was a teenager!

Poitier however, did have a young-ish look to him.  He even looked younger than the 40 he was when he did IN THE HEAT OF THE NIGHT. 

Sepiatone

I am today ONE YEAR YOUNGER than Tracey was when he did GUESS WHO'S COMING TO DINNER.  But I LOOK TWENTY years YOUNGER!  I was shocked to find out he was only 64 when he died.  He looked so much older.  No way you'd have cast him as a teenager even WHEN he was a teenager!

Poitier however, did have a young-ish look to him.  He even looked younger than the 40 he was when he did IN THE HEAT OF THE NIGHT. 

Sepiatone

Maybe if he looked older, the cops wouldn't have called him "boy".

If Spencer Tracy was as great an actor as people say, maybe HE could have played a 17 year old in BLACKBOARD JUNGLE when he was an old-looking 55ish.

I don't find Tracy's british accent at all convincing in Plymouth Adventure. :D  I mean really, an english actor shoulda been cast as Capt. Christopher Jones.

I'm laughing at the thought of Spencer Tracey, at 55 years old, playing the Artie West character as a tough kid in high school.

Oh, I don't know. When he was 55, he beat the crap out of Ernie Borgnine in Bad Day at Black Rock.

Can't picture Spencer Tracey beating up Ernest Borgnine - but I wonder if Ethel Merman beat him up too - during their 1 day marriage.

Anything is possible in movies and television.  Don Knotts can turn into a fish.  Burt Ward can beat Bruce Lee in a fight.  David Carradine can be Chinese, and Montgomery Clift can kill Borgnine in a knife fight.  Man eating plants can lurch all over the countryside to find their victims.  Radiation, in which exposure to it usually causes humans to shrivel up and die can cause insects to grow to giant sized monsters.   Movies are amazing in what they can accomplish!

Sepiatone

• 2 months later...