Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Blackboard Jungle

Vic Morrow didn't look 40 in Blackboard Jungle - he was about 25 and pulled off that role of Artie West very well. I actually thought he looked very young in the film.   It was Sidney Poitier who looked about 40 and trying to play a high school student.

Five years before he played a high school student, Poitier played a doctor in NO WAY OUT. Go figure.

TCM used to show Blackboard Jungle...haven't seen it lately.    Also, I wish they would show more films with Vic Morrow.  Great actor.

There are few films for TCM to show that feature Vic Morrow in a leading role.    TCM does show God's Little Green Acres fairly often and Blackboard Jungle at least once a year.  

• 4 months later...

Too bad I missed it on Feb. 14th .....but who watches tv at 2:45 a.m. anyway?  

Feb. 14th was Vic Morrow's birthday - maybe that's why they chose the date - but maybe next time they can air it at a reasonable hour.   Very good film.

MOVIES-TV is showing King Creole often, the Elvis film with Morrow.

Too bad I missed it on Feb. 14th .....but who watches tv at 2:45 a.m. anyway?  

Feb. 14th was Vic Morrow's birthday - maybe that's why they chose the date - but maybe next time they can air it at a reasonable hour.   Very good film.

I'm more likely to be watching at 2:45 AM than at 2:45 PM.

Thanks James - I'll have to watch Movies Network to see King Creole sometime.   It was a fairly good film.  I liked the fight scene between Morrow and Elvis.

DownGoesFrazier - you're up at 2:45 a.m.???

The film was Elvis's favorite,  was directed by Michael Crutiz (director of Casablanca and many other great films), and had a first rate cast (Walter Matthau and Carolyn Jones (Adams Family gal),  and good plot (very good compared to other Elvis films).       Morrow was indeed good as a hood. 

The film was Elvis's favorite,  was directed by Michael Crutiz (director of Casablanca and many other great films), and had a first rate cast (Walter Matthau and Carolyn Jones (Adams Family gal),  and good plot (very good compared to other Elvis films).       Morrow was indeed good as a hood. 

I always thought Carolyn Jones had a nice noir-dame look going for her - like Gloria Grahame. Those eyes..

I always thought Carolyn Jones had a nice noir-dame look going for her - like Gloria Grahame. Those eyes..

I agree with you about Carolyn Jones having a nice noir-dame look and those eyes,  but more similar to Marie Winsor (with a look of mystery)  to me than Gloria (who has the best surely look going) .  

I agree with you about Carolyn Jones having a nice noir-dame look and those eyes,  but more similar to Marie Winsor (with a look of mystery)  to me than Gloria (who has the best surely look going) .  

I just took a gander at Marie Winsor - overall, definitley more like her than Gloria. Marie has a little Joan Crawford going for her too.

Was it common in those days to have a class without any girls?

Very common.

All Catholic high schools were segregated by gender.

In public schools there was a fair amount of "streaming" - with boys who had no intention of going on to a higher education generally streamed into "tech" courses, where - in addition to basic math, english and phys-ed - they would spend a good amount of time in "shops" (machine shop, auto mechanics, carpentry, sheet metal, drafting, electrical).

I myself was in all-male classes from grades 10 through 12. There were girls in the school - and I was in a mixed class in grade 9 before I switched to Tech.

And, there were 'remedial schools' for students who had a history of being un-teachable. They were pretty much all-male as well.

• 2 months later...

TCM is airing Blackboard Jungle on Wednesday May 27th at 11:30 a.m.

It is a little-known fact that director Richard Brooks experienced some copyright issues with the title; seems John Huston thought people would confuse it with Asphalt Jungle, produced 5 years earlier.

The two filmmakers settled the dispute out of court, over a few dry martinis at Huston's place.Also they each promised they wouldn't smash the other's jazz record collection.

Also they each promised they wouldn't smash the other's jazz record collection.

Just another example of Hollywood's shameful portraying of mathematicians. Either they are depicted as crazy, or they get beat up.

So true!   ha ha.      But did Huston really believe audiences would confuse the two movies because they had "jungle" in the title?

Aw, sorry, james. I should have said it was "a little-known fact", and then you probably would have known I was keeding.

I was just being silly.

ps: I see I did say "little known fact". If ever you see me saying that, james baby, throw a few grains of salt around.