Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Niagara (1953)

speedracer5

I'm watching "Niagara" with Marilyn Monroe and Joseph Cotten right now.  I've seen this film multiple times-- it's one of my favorites from the Marilyn Monroe collection.   There are many reasons I love this film.  I think it is one of Marilyn's best performances and it is a nice departure from the dingy blonde persona that she did so well.  She's a bit of a femme fatale in this one and I think this film shows that she was a good actress-- not just a personality.  I would never put her in the same league as Katharine Hepburn, Bette Davis, and Barbara Stanwyck; but she is a better actress than she's typically given credit for. 

Aside from Monroe, this film is also a film noir, which is my favorite genre.  There aren't as many film noirs that are in color.  The color in this film is beautiful and I don't think it would have been the same were the film in black and white.  The Niagara Falls setting is also excellent. 

• Like 1

I'm watching "Niagara" with Marilyn Monroe and Joseph Cotten right now.  I've seen this film multiple times-- it's one of my favorites from the Marilyn Monroe collection.   There are many reasons I love this film.  I think it is one of Marilyn's best performances and it is a nice departure from the dingy blonde persona that she did so well.  She's a bit of a femme fatale in this one and I think this film shows that she was a good actress-- not just a personality.  I would never put her in the same league as Katharine Hepburn, Bette Davis, and Barbara Stanwyck; but she is a better actress than she's typically given credit for. 

Aside from Monroe, this film is also a film noir, which is my favorite genre.  There aren't as many film noirs that are in color.  The color in this film is beautiful and I don't think it would have been the same were the film in black and white.  The Niagara Falls setting is also excellent. 

I agree with everything you said. You should be a professional film reviewer. :)

And you are right about how this noir MUST be in color, and it is very good color too.

• Like 1

Good thread/original post.  I have been looking at old TCM schedules from 2012 up to the present, and a few years ago NIAGARA aired several times then it just vanished. It doesn't even air on the Fox Movie Channel (now called FXM Retro).

I think NIAGARA is much more an essential than half the titles currently airing on this season's TCM Essentials.

• Like 1

Good thread/original post.  I have been looking at old TCM schedules from 2012 up to the present, and a few years ago NIAGARA aired several times then it just vanished. It doesn't even air on the Fox Movie Channel (now called FXM Retro).

I think NIAGARA is much more an essential than half the titles currently airing on this season's TCM Essentials.

MOVIES has shown Niagara a lot (I would say over 20 times in the last 6 weeks or so).     

I agree with everything you said. You should be a professional film reviewer. :)

And you are right about how this noir MUST be in color, and it is very good color too.

Thanks Fred!

I agree, the color is very good-- is it Technicolor? I didn't pay attention to the credits when it started.  Has anyone noticed that with some older color films that in some scenes the color tends to look a little blurry? I think it might be called "haloing" ? Is that a term? I've noticed this with The Private Lives of Elizabeth and Essex and Dodge City too. 

One of my favorite scenes in Niagara is at the beginning when the honeymooners and Marilyn Monroe are attending the small party outside and Monroe's song request is played.  It's a great scene to establish Monroe's femme fatale persona and husband Joseph Cotten's jealousy.  It also nicely integrates the other couple into Monroe and Cotten's drama. 

I believe that Marilyn Monroe's walk down the street is the longest recorded walk in film history.  I've read that Monroe sawed down the right heel of her shoe in order to achieve the hip swing that she was famous for.

This is one of my favorite MM films as well. She looks spectacular, and her playing is just right; no wonder this film was a huge success and cemented her stardom once and for all. The first of Marilyn's truly iconic roles.

This is one of my favorite MM films as well. She looks spectacular, and her playing is just right; no wonder this film was a huge success and cemented her stardom once and for all. The first of Marilyn's truly iconic roles.

I agree that Monroe is good in Niagara.    The flim also features Jean Peters and Max Showalter (Casey Adams) who starred in Vicki, also released in 1953.

A lot of people tend to think that NIAGARA is a Hitchcock film (it sure plays like one). Apparently some of the local city officials were shocked when they saw the finished film debut because they were unaware it was going to have  such a dark themed storyline.  I know that everyone gushes over Marilyn in this film, this did give a huge boost to her career.  But I like Joseph Cotten's performance a lot here and this film really brought Jean Peters to my attention as well.  And Max Showalter (Casey Adams) is just extremely annoying to me, I really would have liked seeing him go over the falls at the end (that would have made a happy ending ) ;)

Thanks Fred!

I agree, the color is very good-- is it Technicolor?

IMDB says it is Technicolor.

Regarding the blurry image, that could be caused by shrinkage of one of the three original B&W camera negatives, if they used that to make a modern print. That causes a registration problem and results in a double image, with one slightly smaller than the other two. Or, all three originals could have shrunk a different amount.

I'd been thinking of this movie a lot recently because I'd love to find that little motor inn. I wonder if it is still standing. The color in this movie is fantastic too. Some of the interior shots with the falls visible in the background window and some of the outside evening shots were extremely well lit because the colors really pop. I thought Marilyn was very smoking hot in this movie too (I know she always look good most of the time but I think her earlier roles are better in a way before her outside distractions made her life too chaotic.). I could see the thoughts about it being Hitchcock because of its suspense and the richness of the overall look/photography. Fantastic movie for tons of reasons in my book.

And Max Showalter (Casey Adams) is just extremely annoying to me, I really would have liked seeing him go over the falls at the end (that would have made a happy ending ) ;)

Haha.  I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought this.  I didn't say it for not wanting to seem morbid.  Haha.  Is it bad to say that I just find his face really annoying? It's not fair, because he can't help how his face looks; but that's my honest assessment.

When I first saw this film, I recognized Showalter as Molly Ringwald's Grandpa Fred in Sixteen Candles.  He's really annoying in that film too; but I think he's supposed to be, just to add to Ringwald's anxiety and unhappiness.

Haha.  I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought this.  I didn't say it for not wanting to seem morbid.  Haha.  Is it bad to say that I just find his face really annoying? It's not fair, because he can't help how his face looks; but that's my honest assessment.

When I first saw this film, I recognized Showalter as Molly Ringwald's Grandpa Fred in Sixteen Candles.  He's really annoying in that film too; but I think he's supposed to be, just to add to Ringwald's anxiety and unhappiness.

More than his face, his voice.and especially his laugh are beyond annoying, they are grating. And Joseph Cotton's extremely.unpleasant character seems a good reason for his wife to want to be rid of him.

Films & Filmmakers forum?

Love this film too, it's a great showcase for MM's talents.

*spoiler*

I was struck by the position they put Marilyn in when they discovered her body. The overhead camera shot makes it looks a lot like her reclining pose on red velvet in the Playboy centerfold.

IMDB says it is Technicolor.

Regarding the blurry image, that could be caused by shrinkage of one of the three original B&W camera negatives, if they used that to make a modern print. That causes a registration problem and results in a double image, with one slightly smaller than the other two. Or, all three originals could have shrunk a different amount.

This was the film that really made MM a star. BUS STOP elevated her to another level.

A little sideline to all of this discussion is the actor who played Monroe's lover--Richard Allan.  Hardly remembered these days, but he was featured in a number of Fox movies of that era.  He was also a terrific dancer.  But he never made it above  a featured player.  I think that at some point the studio had bigger plans for him. 

Terrence.

• Like 1

joseph cotton was a great actor.

but i cannot bear watching him in any of his films.

imo, he's just too pug ugly for my tastes.

He is great in 'Shadow of a Doubt'. Has one of the great movie diatribes...

The cities are full of women, middle-aged widows, husbands, dead, husbands who've spent their lives making fortunes, working and working. And then they die and leave their money to their wives, their silly wives. And what do the wives do, these useless women? You see them in hotels, the best hotels, every day by the thousands, drinking the money, eating the money, losing the money at bridge, playing all day and all night, smelling of money, proud of their jewelry but of nothing else, horrible, faded, fat, greedy women.... Are they human or are they fat, wheezing animals, hmm? And what happens to animals when they get too fat and too old?

He is great in 'Shadow of a Doubt'. Has one one great movie diatribes...

http://www.screeninsults.com/shadow-of-a-doubt.php

The cities are full of women.... horrible, faded, fat, greedy women.

Joseph Cotten isn't pretty to look at; but I really enjoyed his performances in pal Orson Welles' films-- like Citizen Kane and The Third Man.  I believe he also had a brief part in Touch of Evil.  Outside of appearances with Welles, I liked Cotten in Gaslight and Hush, Hush Sweet Charlotte.  I haven't seen Shadow of a Doubt.  I love Alfred Hitchcock, so I'm sure I'd like this film.

Joseph Cotten isn't pretty to look at; but I really enjoyed his performances in pal Orson Welles' films-- like Citizen Kane and The Third Man. I believe he also had a brief part in Touch of Evil. Outside of appearances with Welles, I liked Cotten in Gaslight and Hush, Hush Sweet Charlotte. I haven't seen Shadow of a Doubt. I love Alfred Hitchcock, so I'm sure I'd like this film.

Do what you have to do to see it, you will NOT be disappointed!! I like Joseph Cotten a bunch but then I wouldn't want to kiss him either... I added the full quote below. This part of the movie is awesome... It's probably my favorite Hitchcock film and that's saying a bunch... See it before someone tries to ruin it for you. Ending is great. I eliminated the link because I just realized it ruined the ending... Not good.

TCM shows a couple of his finer performances on a consistent basis, 'The Magnificent Ambersons' & 'Portrait of Jennie'.

post-42668-0-94332900-1406618278_thumb.jpg

post-42668-0-94332900-1406618278_thumb.jpg

He is great in 'Shadow of a Doubt'. Has one of the great movie diatribes...

The cities are full of women, middle-aged widows, husbands, dead, husbands who've spent their lives making fortunes, working and working. And then they die and leave their money to their wives, their silly wives. And what do the wives do, these useless women? You see them in hotels, the best hotels, every day by the thousands, drinking the money, eating the money, losing the money at bridge, playing all day and all night, smelling of money, proud of their jewelry but of nothing else, horrible, faded, fat, greedy women.... Are they human or are they fat, wheezing animals, hmm? And what happens to animals when they get too fat and too old?

Interesting, because Bette Davis said that BEYOND THE FOREST was not believable, because "who would leave Joseph Cotten?"

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings