Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
TopBilled

Who is your favourite British actress?

I thought she was Australian.

That's Cate Blanchett you are thinking of. The Academy sure loves the name Kate. 

How fickle you all are. Just a couple of weeks ago you were all falling all over yourselves with adoration for Dame May Whitty, and now she doesn't even get one mention!

• Like 2

No love for Susan George. She gave off such a dirty girl vibe. Popular with the young guys in the 70's, though.

That's Cate Blanchett you are thinking of. The Academy sure loves the name Kate. 

Thankyou for the correction. If I'd not been under the false impression of her being Australian I would've included her. So now I have two Kates (Winslet and Beckinsale), a Sarah (Miles) and a Helena (Bonham Carter) on my list.

Thankyou for the correction. If I'd not been under the false impression of her being Australian I would've included her. So now I have two Kates (Winslet and Beckinsale), a Sarah (Miles) and a Helena (Bonham Carter) on my list.

No problem. Australia still falls under the British Commonwealth though, which means the guess wasn't too far off. 

Would Audrey Hepburn be considered a British actress? If so, she's the one.

I would consider Audrey a British actress since her first appearaces on screen were in British films.

No problem. Australia still falls under the British Commonwealth though, which means the guess wasn't too far off. 

Well, so does Canada. But when people specify 'British', neither Aussies nor Canucks should be included. UK only for this thread, I believe.

Well, so does Canada. But when people specify 'British', neither Aussies nor Canucks should be included. UK only for this thread, I believe.

True. 

From the modern era, my fave is Glenda Jackson.

From the golden era, it would be Margaret Lockwood

Character actress would be Esma Cannon.

and then there's

Vanessa Redgrave

Jessie Matthews

Anna Neagle

Diana Rigg

Valerie Hobson

Judi Dench

Ann Todd

Rita Tushingham

Julie Andrews

Yvonne Mitchell

Emma Thompson

Margaret Rutherford

Joan Greenwood

I would consider Audrey a British actress since her first appearaces on screen were in British films.

In that case,

1---Audrey Hepburn

2---Deborah Kerr

3---Jean Simmons

4--Julie Christie

5----Elsa Lanchester (for a character actress)

Dame Maggie Smith. She could do a movie reading from the London phone book and I'd go and see it.

• Like 1

I started having a little crush on Wendy Hiller after catching I KNOW WHERE I'M GOING! (1945) a few years ago.

I started having a little crush on Wendy Hiller after catching I KNOW WHERE I'M GOING! (1945) a few years ago.

An outstanding actress. I don't think she was ever less than perfect in any role she played. 'Separate Tables' (1958) is a favorite.

• Like 1

An outstanding actress. I don't think she was ever less than perfect in any role she played. 'Separate Tables' (1958) is a favorite.

In SEPARATE TABLES, Wendy Hiller didn't do very much. She was swallowed up by the other members of the great ensemble cast.

I've seen her on stage a couple of times -- as Lady Bracknell in The Importance of Being Earnest; and as Miss Daisy in Driving Miss Daisy. She was great.

In SEPARATE TABLES, Wendy Hiller didn't do very much. She was swallowed up by the other members of the great ensemble cast.

And yet she managed to get my attention - even as she was dwarfed by all those far more famous names.

Good to see I'm not the only one who remembers and likes that dame..err..Dame.