Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Rest In Peace James Shigeta

hepclassic

http://www.eonline.com/news/563981/james-shigeta-dead-at-81-character-actor-and-singer-had-memorable-roles-in-die-hard-and-flower-drum-song?utm_source=eonline&utm_medium=rssfeeds&utm_campaign=imdb_topstories

I loved him in "Flower Drum Song", and was planning on writing a tribute to him soon at the Classic Film Union. May he rest in peace. 

I will always remember him for two early roles: The coolie gunfighter in Walk Like A Dragon, and most of all for the ending of The Crimson Kimono, which kinda comes out of nowhere and doesn't really make sense for the characters, but in the America of 1959 I bet that it, in the words of today's kids, "rustled a few jimmies".

http://www.eonline.com/news/563981/james-shigeta-dead-at-81-character-actor-and-singer-had-memorable-roles-in-die-hard-and-flower-drum-song?utm_source=eonline&utm_medium=rssfeeds&utm_campaign=imdb_topstories

I loved him in "Flower Drum Song", and was planning on writing a tribute to him soon at the Classic Film Union. May he rest in peace. 

I only know his character roles in "Die Hard" (1988) and "Midway" (1976).  Very good actor from what little I've seen of him. RIP

mr-takagi.jpg

15848-12601.gif

• Like 1

Pull out all the stops, hep. Folks need to know about him. I am literally tearing up reading all the lovely comments. He deserves every accolade.

Handsome? To paraphrase Cuddles in Casablanca, "As the day is long."

• Like 3

Pull out all the stops, hep. Folks need to know about him. I am literally tearing up reading all the lovely comments. He deserves every accolade.

Handsome? To paraphrase Cuddles in Casablanca, "As the day is long."

I need to see a couple more of his films first before I do, yogiboo. 

You know, I left a post yesterday regarding cutie pie's (yes, that's what I called James Shigeta ????) passing, on a thread started by Fedya. I said that I wish threads like these discussing him would get more views; the fact that they aren't getting as many says a lot about how underrated he really was. He always admitted such a suave, dignified presence, and going to miss him very much. And that voice, oh!

• Like 1

You know, I left a post yesterday regarding cutie pie's (yes, that's what I called James Shigeta ) passing, on a thread started by Fedya. I said that I wish threads like these discussing him would get more views; the fact that they aren't getting as many says a lot about how underrated he really was. He always admitted such a suave, dignified presence, and going to miss him very much. And that voice, oh!

It also says how unaware people are at the reality of diversity that presents itself in classic film. 

I just read the New York Times obituary for James Shigeta, and according to his brother Clarence, he died of puliminary failure, and he was born in 1929, not 1933.

I noticed that they kept changing the age in his obituaries over the last day or so.

How's that for respecting the classic movie actors of color and their contributions. 

I don't particularly think it has to do with that, hep, Many actors of the Classic era have birthdates that are incorrect due to bad record keeping or actors changing their ages for obvious reasons. Just sayin'. Was his family interred during WWII? Perhaps dates got confused in the shuffle. I choose to believe this rather than some form of snobbery or worse.

It would be nice if during any number of films being shown during SUTS there could be a film that Shigeta was in. Not sure if that's possible.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings