Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
MovieMadness

Which actor should be Star of the Month but never will be?

That's a good list. On RetroPlex yesterday, CINDERFELLA aired-- and boy, was Judith Anderson great as Jerry Lewis' wicked stepmother. I don't think she ever turned in a bad performance.

They're all so deserving of recognition.  What baffles me is why there have been so many SOTM repeats, when some (equally deserving, in my view) have never received it at all.  Maybe it's to do with the availability of their movies?

They're all so deserving of recognition.  What baffles me is why there have been so many SOTM repeats, when some (equally deserving, in my view) have never received it at all.  Maybe it's to do with the availability of their movies?

I agree.

Another one that I would pick for SOTM is George Raft.

Ok all you  bloggers....we all essentially agree there should be a concomittant COM (Character of the Month)...so I ask all of you...how do we make that happen.  We can Yadda, Yadda this to death but how are we able to impact consideration by TCM to consider this...any thoughts??

Well I did some quick research (let me stress quick),  and often when there is a repeat it is every ten years or so.   For 'major' stars like Bette Davis I can understand her being SOTM again,  after a ten year period.   Of course what actors are 'major' stars or not,  is another subjective debate we can have at this forum. ;)

But some,  like Doris Day,  don't add up to me.   I assume that was done because she is still with us and they wanted to give current viewers a Day tribute.    i.e. one could say it isn't a repeat to NEW viewers of TCM. 

Either way,  I agree;  Less repeats.  Instead honor additional stars and create that 'supporting players of the month' type of tribute.

But some,  like Doris Day,  don't add up to me.   I assume that was done because she is still with us and they wanted to give current viewers a Day tribute.    i.e. one could say it isn't a repeat to NEW viewers of TCM. 

More accurately is the fact that she is a Friend of TCM. Even after she dies, she will join the ranks of Ernest Borgnine and Karl Malden and June Allyson who are forever thought of as friends of TCM and will continue to be honored and re-honored.

Personally, I don't even think Bette Davis should be Star of the Month again. There are plenty of morning tributes and primetime spotlights for her each year and never a month goes by without three or four of her films airing.  

As for the repeats not being repeats to new viewers, well by that definition anything that aired last night could be re-aired tomorrow morning and it will be 'new' for the viewers that TCM may have picked up today.

More accurately is the fact that she is a Friend of TCM. Even after she dies, she will join the ranks of Ernest Borgnine and Karl Malden and June Allyson who are forever thought of as friends of TCM and will continue to be honored and re-honored.

Personally, I don't even think Bette Davis should be Star of the Month again. There are plenty of morning tributes and primetime spotlights for her each year and never a month goes by without three or four of her films airing.  

As for the repeats not being repeats to new viewers, well by that definition anything that aired last night could be re-aired tomorrow morning and it will be 'new' for the viewers that TCM may have picked up today.

I'm not saying the reasons I'm giving are sound reasons;  Only that they might be possible reasons TCM does repeats.

I agree that even a star as big as Bette Davis doesn't need to be SOTM again.   As you noted her movies are played often and will continue to be played either because she was paired with another actor that is getting some type of tribute,  she is featured as part of the Oscar tribute or her movies are just really good movies so TCM shows them as part of general programming.

I'm not saying the reasons I'm giving are sound reasons;  Only that they might be possible reasons TCM does repeats.

I agree that even a star as big as Bette Davis doesn't need to be SOTM again.   As you noted her movies are played often and will continue to be played either because she was paired with another actor that is getting some type of tribute,  she is featured as part of the Oscar tribute or her movies are just really good movies so TCM shows them as part of general programming.

Bette Davis should NEVER again be SOTM? How about in, say, 25 years?

Bette Davis should NEVER again be SOTM? How about in, say, 25 years?

Will TCM still be here in a quarter of a century? That is the question we now ask in our quaint little hamlet.

Ann Harding is one that should be mentioned in this thread. I don't know why she is overlooked by TCM-- she made most of her films at RKO and MGM. She was very well respected in the film industry and influenced a lot of actresses who tried to emulate her cool, sophisticated style.

Interestingly, she never wore make-up off camera and she was rather low-key, believing that her energy was best saved for her dramatic roles. 

Ann Harding is one that should be mentioned in this thread. I don't know why she is overlooked by TCM-- she made most of her films at RKO and MGM. She was very well respected in the film industry and influenced a lot of actresses who tried to emulate her cool, sophisticated style.

Interestingly, she never wore make-up off camera and she was rather low-key, believing that her energy was best saved for her dramatic roles. 

I would love for TCM to feature Ann Harding as SOTM.    Your 100% correct that Ann is the type of star TCM should feature.  In fact I would say needs to feature.     I assume many "studio-era" fans,  especially males, might have made a similar journey as it relates to learning about movies from this era;  e.g.  crime and gangster pictures,  noir,   the Warner Brother male stars, westerns and after the pin-up type actresses (because sex does sell!),   we might get into the major female stars like Bette Davis,  Kate Hepburn,  etc...

The result is that an actress like Harding can get loss or forgotten.   So I need actresses like her to be SOTM so I can get exposed to their films.    I did see a few Harding films when Leslie Howard was SOTM,  but I would love to see more! 

I would love for TCM to feature Ann Harding as SOTM.    Your 100% correct that Ann is the type of star TCM should feature.  In fact I would say needs to feature.     I assume many "studio-era" fans,  especially males, might have made a similar journey as it relates to learning about movies from this era;  e.g.  crime and gangster pictures,  noir,   the Warner Brother male stars, westerns and after the pin-up type actresses (because sex does sell!),   we might get into the major female stars like Bette Davis,  Kate Hepburn,  etc...

The result is that an actress like Harding can get loss or forgotten.   So I need actresses like her to be SOTM so I can get exposed to their films.    I did see a few Harding films when Leslie Howard was SOTM,  but I would love to see more! 

Yes, and I think if TCM can give a month-long spotlight to Constance Bennett and Mary Astor, then Ann Harding is next logical choice for that type of actress. I looked at the Ann Harding films I have on hand, and they consist of the few I recorded when Leslie Howard was SOTM plus the one that aired today with William Powell as her costar.  But she made a lot of other good films from 1929 to 1956, and it would be nice to see more of them.

So, so many names! 

Often the trouble is that certain folks have filmographies that are very long and they can be easily fill the bill for SOTM. Then you have some who may not have careers so far reaching.

So in theory I will suggest these names.

1. David Wayne
  2. Robert Benchley
  3. Jimmy Lydon (still alive BTW)
  4. Lillian Gish
  5. Mae West
  6. Sylvia Sydney
  7. Anna Magnani
  8. Dane Clark
  9. Elisha Cook, Jr
  10. Henry Daniell
  11. Yvonne DeCarlo
  12. Sandy Dennis
  13. Brian Donlevy
  14. Leon Ames
  15. Montague Love
  16. Keye Luke
  17. Mercedes McCambridge
  18. Ruth Roman
  19. Sal Mineo
  20. Thomas Mitchell
  21. John Carradine (Way overdue)

How about a tribute to animation. Not Disney or even Warner Bros. But maybe a day as I don't think you could get a months worth, of Max Fleischer cartoons. Popeye, Betty Boop, Out of the Inkwell.

Just throwing it out there.

BTW, when do you all think TCM will begin to include 1970's stars like Nicholson, Pacino, DeNiro, Hackman, Redford, Streep etc? Lots of character actors as well like Durning, Beatty, Balsam (more 50's/60's +). It's been more than 40 years since that era.   We just had Jane Fonda repesented. Perhaps this is the start. I wouldn't be surprised to see one or more of these names next year for SOTH/SUTS or birthday celebrations. 

• Like 1

BTW, when do you all think TCM will begin to include 1970's stars like Nicholson, Pacino, DeNiro, Hackman, Redford, Streep etc?

All I can say is the sooner the better, starting with Pacino and DeNiro.

• Like 1

BTW, when do you all think TCM will begin to include 1970's stars like Nicholson, Pacino, DeNiro, Hackman, Redford, Streep etc?

They already do in terms of SUTS scheduling. You should have heard some of the caterwauling here when James Caan got a day during last August. Martin Balsam as well, though there was no complaining about him for some reason.

However, Star of the Month seems to be another category. Apparently, if you weren't in any movies prior to 1960 there seems to be no chance.

They already do in terms of SUTS scheduling. You should have heard some of the caterwauling here when James Caan got a day during last August. Martin Balsam as well, though there was no complaining about him for some reason.

However, Star of the Month seems to be another category. Apparently, if you weren't in any movies prior to 1960 there seems to be no chance.

How does Balsam fit in with these other actors? He got his start in the '50s, at least as early as 12 ANGRY MEN, and probably earlier.

How does Balsam fit in with these other actors? He got his start in the '50s, at least as early as 12 ANGRY MEN, and probably earlier.

I think it's because people feel he wasn't a star, at least not a superstar in the Clark Gable sense of the word. LOL

I think it's because people feel he wasn't a star, at least not a superstar in the Clark Gable sense of the word. LOL

I believe the point was that people didn't complain about Balsam while some did about Caan or other actors that got their start in movies in the 60's and \ or didn't become stars until the 70's.    

The 'no films after 1969' folks often get up in arms about this type of thing.

I believe the point was that people didn't complain about Balsam while some did about Caan or other actors that got their start in movies in the 60's and \ or didn't become stars until the 70's.    

The 'no films after 1969' folks often get up in arms about this type of thing.

That's right, but I think when it came to Balsam people lost sight of that-- they felt that Balsam's tribute included too many films from the 60s and 70s AND that he wasn't a major star. Personally, I liked his tribute but many others complained.

Not easy to do a proper Balsam day without using primarily his 60's and 70's work. He wasn't in a whole lot of 50's movies.

He did have an uncredited role in 'On the Waterfront' in 1954. '12 Angry Men' was just his second feature film - coming 3 years later. The others were 'Time Limit' ('57), 'Marjorie Morningstar' ('58), 'Al Capone' ('59) and 'Middle of the Night' ('59).

The 60's and 70's were his true heyday - Psycho, Ada, Breakfast at Tiffany's, Cape Fear, Conquered City, Who's Been Sleeping in My Bed?', Seven Days in May, The Carpetbaggers, Harlow, The Bedford Incident, A Thousand Clowns, After the Fox, Hombre, Me  Natalie, The Good Guys and the Bad Guys, Catch 22, Tora Tora Tora, Little Big Man, Confessions of a Police Captain, The Anderson Tapes, The Man, The Stone Killer, Summer Wishes Winter Dreams, The Taking of Pelham One Two Three, All the President's Men, Two Minute Warning, The Sentinel, Silver Bears and Cuba.

Add to that 30+ movies that were either made-for-tv or made in Italy for European audiences.

Though the 80's and 90's would not include such prestigious titles (generally), he kept making feature films and tv projects constantly - right till the end of his life.

One of the great character actor/supporting players. TCM could do a month easy.

• Like 1

He wasn't even a star, let alone a superstar, and unlike some supporting players, there was nothing unique about his persona.

Eddie Albert is another overlooked performer. Easily could be given a SUTS tribute-- he certainly appeared in a lot of classics, usually as a second lead. Long career on screen.

Eddie Albert is another overlooked performer. Easily could be given a SUTS tribute-- he certainly appeared in a lot of classics, usually as a second lead. Long career on screen.

Funny but the MOVIES station is showing Eddie right now in Roman Holiday.      I'm watching that instead of Tea on TCM.  

Eddie Albert would be a great SUTS choice.  TCM could feature some of his early film when he was under contact at Warner Bros.  He made movies with Bogie,  Olivia De Haviland,  Garfield,  etc....   as well as his more well known work in the 50's, 60's and 70's.

Funny but the MOVIES station is showing Eddie right now in Roman Holiday.      I'm watching that instead of Tea on TCM.  

Eddie Albert would be a great SUTS choice.  TCM could feature some of his early film when he was under contact at Warner Bros.  He made movies with Bogie,  Olivia De Haviland,  Garfield,  etc....   as well as his more well know work n the 50's, 60's and 70's.

Exactly. And he worked (successfully I might add) in all genres-- gangster pics, westerns, screwball comedies, romantic comedies, war films, Disney family films-- you name it, he did it.

I mentioned Balsam in my original question mostly b/c there had been talk about character actors. I wasn't sure about how far he went back in films but he *was* very popular in the 60's/70's. I just threw him in there to be somewhat inclusive of character/supporting actors. 

I had forgotten about Caan last year. I was one who didn't really think he deserved it mostly because I didn't think he was in enough A or B+ films. I think Robert Duvall would be a great choice (Hey, Boo!).

I think it's time for the DeNiro/Pacino era. I think they rate.  

He'd never get one but Chris Walken would be fun.

Eddie Albert is a great choice! So cute in that one with Lucille, Fuller Brush Girl, was it?

Robert Duvall was featured during Summer Under the Stars a few years ago when TCM was lucky enough to get access to The Godfather and The Godfather Part 2 for the only time in their history, so far. Doris Day got bumped for the tribute and several people who were around here then weren't too happy about it.

ETA: I looked on the stickie for the year but it's not listed. I'm thinking it was 2007 though. It's been quite a while ago. If lzcutter sees this note check and see when it was and update the stickie please.