Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Programming cancellations, changes and re-schedules due to fallen star tributes

JeanneCrain

Unfortunately the passing of James Garner was sad, a corresponding TCM tribute appreciated but there were a couple movies which I believe were never aired before cancelled, "Through a Glass Darkly" 1961 and "The Silence a.k.a. Tystnaden" 1964 due to Mr. Garner's untimely death while searching upon this titles indicates no future airing? Both this films are rated very high 8.1 and 8.0 respectively by IMDB. 

May it be suggested that first these two films be immediately re-scheduled and that future tributes to fallen stars be scheduled in a manner which does not cancel and/or postpone airings of films not previously shown i.e. TCM premiers?

Looking forward to viewing "Through a Glass Darkly" and "The Silence" in the not too distant future.

Thanks for listening, J. Crain

• Like 2

I had prepared a post concerning the night of Ingmar Bergman movies. I believe it would have been a quite wonderful evening!

I had the sense when I saw that there would be a tribute to James Garner that it would be on that evening as I felt it was the best evening schedule of the month. :(

None of the movies scheduled for the night were noted as premieres in: Now Playing guide. We have most schedules from late-2005 to present and none have: Through a Glass Darkly (1961). Smiles of a Summer Night (1955) has not been scheduled since 2010.

I am sad that the evening was canceled but I do truly understand the need to change the schedule for the tribute. 

I am in hope that they will reschedule the movies as an evening. I am sorry to think that it may not be before January because November schedule is likely completed and December must concentrate on holidays. 

I did enjoy several of the movies included in the tribute. 

May it be suggested that first these two films be immediately re-scheduled and that future tributes to fallen stars be scheduled in a manner which does not cancel and/or postpone airings of films not previously shown i.e. TCM premiers?

That's the one thing about the Garner tribute that annoyed me, the fact that it pre-empted several movies that have either never shown previously on TCM, or only get played every few years.  I wish they'd schedule these 24 hour tributes for a Saturday, when there's almost nothing but the Same Old Same Olds playing for almost the entire day.

When TCM drops films for a tribute, usually they reschedule them during the next upcoming month that  they haven't already released a schedule for unless it's an "event month" like "Summer Under The Stars", so it will likely be November. TCM never drops films to make room for other films that have previously been dropped because that only compounds the problem. No matter what they bump somebody will be unhappy. TCM has been doing timely tributes for 20 years so I doubt they'll change now.

• Like 1

TCM is yet to reschedule the sci-fi Silent Sunday/TCM Import of The Mysterious Island (1929) and Genocide (1968), which were canceled for Mickey Rooney's tribute. They should have come up in September, and they would have been a decent Halloween double-feature for October, but still no show.

Sometimes they only reschedule the daytime for tribute days, like they did recently with Eleanor Parker and Eli Wallach. I'd be perfectly happy if everyone got a half-day. Such as it is, I don't know how they decide who should get more time than who.

It was three months ago that I made note of, and was looking forward to record, the Bergman night line-up. So, it was a big disappointment to see that particular night blown away.

TCM could avoid this sort of thing by leaving deliberate anticipatory gaps in the schedule each month. If no tribute is needed, then fill the gap with whatever.

• Like 1

I've said it before and I say it again. The tributes can be played at any time. There's no rule that the tribute has to air within X numbers of days after a star dies. TCM should ensure that these tributes, which almost always recycle films seen over and over again, should never displace "premiere" films people have been looking forward to for months. It makes no sense. Even if the tribute has to be in prime time, there are still several days to choose from, one where no premiere film is scheduled.

• Like 1

I've said it before and I say it again. The tributes can be played at any time. There's no rule that the tribute has to air within X numbers of days after a star dies. TCM should ensure that these tributes, which almost always recycle films seen over and over again, should never displace "premiere" films people have been looking forward to for months. It makes no sense. Even if the tribute has to be in prime time, there are still several days to choose from, one where no premiere film is scheduled.

To me all death tributes should never impact the existing scheduled.   Instead they should be planned for the future just like all programming is planned.

Right after someone dies put up  a 2 minute or so memorial, but don't change the planned schedule.

• Like 1

To me all death tributes should never impact the existing scheduled.   Instead they should be planned for the future just like all programming is planned.

Right after someone dies put up  a 2 minute or so memorial, but don't change the planned schedule.

I agree. It looks like they are trying to be timely with these tributes and that is worth lauding, but it also looks like they are trying to cash in a bit too-- to take advantage of the media hype around a recently deceased performer, so part of it comes across a bit tacky (think of how many extra DVDs they were able to sell of a Mickey Rooney movie when Mickey died).

So some of this death tribute programming is not nostalgia or sentiment as much as it is for commercial reasons.

It wouldn't hurt anyone to put these tributes off a month or two and really come up with a fitting farewell that might even lead to a premiere or two. In fact, when you think about it-- that is the greatest thing a tribute can do-- to help us look at someone in a new light who is no longer physically with us.

• Like 1

Agreed. What's the hurry? Especially if pre-empting a whole day of programming......

• Like 1

For an alternate point of view: I find it very meaningful to pay tribute to a star promptly after they pass on.  I was a big fan of James Garner, and it was special to me that TCM took time out to honor him when he has been very much on my mind.  I feel the same way about other stars when they pass on. 

For me, taking the time to change around the schedule is a mark of respect and a way to mourn their passing and celebrate their life soon after their passing.  A tribute four or five months later is nice but lacks the immediacy and doesn't catch the emotion of the moment.  While most of us don't know the actors who pass on, they have contributed something special to our lives via their work -- which is why we all watch TCM -- and remembering them via a memorial tribute feels right to me and helps to process the news that they have left us -- within days of it happening, not months.  I'd like to think that in some cases it might also be meaningful to their families or close friends to know that though their loved one is gone, their work is being celebrated and will long be remembered.

I suspect it's quite a bit of work, including filming new introductions quickly, and I appreciate that TCM takes the time to do this even though it's unplanned.  TCM has always been very good about rescheduling preempted films.

TCM does not have ratings so I question whether this can be called "cashing in."  I didn't notice James Garner DVD ads when I watched Monday but maybe I just happened to miss them.

Respectfully submitted --

• Like 5

Have complained here and directly to TCM programming re: pre-empting because of a death.  No reason at all to do it.

Furthermore, it would be far, far more appropriate to take the time to select/obtain best movies possible of the person and THEN publish it in Now Playing.

More people would be aware of the tributes as well.  As it is now, unless you check TCM schedule on a daily basis, the tributes just pop-up all of a sudden.

Another problem is that TCM did not inform Charter cable about the Garner tribute in time for Charter to change their information system.  So all day, if I clicked on Info on the remote, it gave a description of what was supposed to be playing, not the Garner movies.

I seldom check the schedule listings on TCM website, but I do subscribe to Now Playing.

BTW, General Motors went for many years installing improper ignition switches and are now replacing them.  Changes can be made no matter how long TCM has used a poor policy.

• Like 1

Have complained here and directly to TCM programming re: pre-empting because of a death.  No reason at all to do it.

Furthermore, it would be far, far more appropriate to take the time to select/obtain best movies possible of the person and THEN publish it in Now Playing.

More people would be aware of the tributes as well.  As it is now, unless you check TCM schedule on a daily basis, the tributes just pop-up all of a sudden.

Another problem is that TCM did not inform Charter cable about the Garner tribute in time for Charter to change their information system.  So all day, if I clicked on Info on the remote, it gave a description of what was supposed to be playing, not the Garner movies.

I seldom check the schedule listings on TCM website, but I do subscribe to Now Playing.

BTW, General Motors went for many years installing improper ignition switches and are now replacing them.  Changes can be made no matter how long TCM has used a poor policy.

While I agree about the waiting part, I'm not sure that would necessarily mean a better slate of films. I think many of us agree that many of these salutes leave much to be desired as to what films are being shown. But I'm not sure TCM is going to break the bank for films that arent easily accessed. Guess we'll never know............

For an alternate point of view: I find it very meaningful to pay tribute to a star promptly after they pass on.  I was a big fan of James Garner, and it was special to me that TCM took time out to honor him when he has been very much on my mind.  I feel the same way about other stars when they pass on. 

For me, taking the time to change around the schedule is a mark of respect and a way to mourn their passing and celebrate their life soon after their passing.  A tribute four or five months later is nice but lacks the immediacy and doesn't catch the emotion of the moment.  While most of us don't know the actors who pass on, they have contributed something special to our lives via their work -- which is why we all watch TCM -- and remembering them via a memorial tribute feels right to me and helps to process the news that they have left us -- within days of it happening, not months.  I'd like to think that in some cases it might also be meaningful to their families or close friends to know that though their loved one is gone, their work is being celebrated and will long be remembered.

I suspect it's quite a bit of work, including filming new introductions quickly, and I appreciate that TCM takes the time to do this even though it's unplanned.  TCM has always been very good about rescheduling preempted films.

TCM does not have ratings so I question whether this can be called "cashing in."  I didn't notice James Garner DVD ads when I watched Monday but maybe I just happened to miss them.

Respectfully submitted --

I don't think anyone said the tributes weren't meaningful. But they do not necessarily mean more if they are rushed than if they are postponed. If you think about it, all of TCM's programming of films that feature dead movie stars is a tribute of some kind. Also, if the tributes had to be timely, then they would not occur a week later (as was the case with Garner) but the next day or at the very most a few days later. So if we can wait a week, we can wait a few weeks or a month. In the case of Gloria Stuart (who died in the summer and an evening of her films was not shown until late September) or Deanna Durbin (whose tribute was delayed months until a late December In Memoriam spotlight with just one of her films selected), fans had to wait and it did not make the tributes any less meaningful.

TCM does cash in when they trot out a bunch of films the parent company owns to honor a dead movie star that are on home video. People search the TCM database and the TCM store and potentially buy some of those titles to remember the dead movie star, whether or not they are advertised (though sometimes they are advertised).

How is assembling a crew to film wraparounds a lot of work? These people film so many wraparounds each year they have it down to a science. Plus, it is work they enjoy doing and are well-paid to do.

Apologists present arguments. Others easily dismantle those arguments.

I don't think anyone said the tributes weren't meaningful. But they do not necessarily mean more if they are rushed than if they are postponed. If you think about it, all of TCM's programming of films that feature dead movie stars is a tribute of some kind. Also, if the tributes had to be timely, then they would not occur a week later (as was the case with Garner) but the next day or at the very most a few days later. So if we can wait a week, we can wait a few weeks or a month.

Very well put, TB.  I can't see what the net gain was by disrupting an entire day's schedule, rather than simply scheduling that 24 hour tribute for the first available day where the schedule hadn't already been posted, in this case meaning November.  That wouldn't have been the slightest bit disrespectful, especially if the reasoning behind it were quickly announced ASAP after Garner's passing.

• Like 1

I don't think anyone said the tributes weren't meaningful. But they do not necessarily mean more if they are rushed than if they are postponed. If you think about it, all of TCM's programming of films that feature dead movie stars is a tribute of some kind. Also, if the tributes had to be timely, then they would not occur a week later (as was the case with Garner) but the next day or at the very most a few days later. So if we can wait a week, we can wait a few weeks or a month.

Very well put, TB.  I can't see what the net gain was by disrupting an entire day's schedule, rather than simply scheduling that 24 hour tribute for the first available day where the schedule hadn't already been posted, in this case meaning November.  That wouldn't have been the slightest bit disrespectful, especially if the reasoning behind it were quickly announced ASAP after Garner's passing.

Right-- and we are running into another issue that has not been discussed here yet. The pre-emptions do not seem to take into account what brings people to TCM in the first place-- premieres of rare classic films. Why pre-empt the Bergman tribute and keep the Mel Brooks spotlight?  Especially when Brooks had an evening spotlight last summer, and there was also a Brooksfilm tribute a month or two ago?  Why is Mel Brooks more important than Ingmar Bergman?  Oh, I know, because he is a friend of TCM and will become Star of the Month before George Sanders. LOL

So not only are we rushing the death tributes to capitalize on media hype, we are also using strange criteria to bump certain evening programming that may be more worthwhile to TCM viewers than what is not bumped.

"I don't think anyone said the tributes weren't meaningful."

What *I* said, more precisely, was that *I* found it meaningful to have the tribute *promptly*.

When someone passes away, most often there is a funeral service a few days after the passing (not "the next day," except for those of some religious faiths).  This gives everyone time to plan and participate but is still at a time when sadness is most intense.  Certainly there are sometimes delayed memorial services, but some of the point of the funeral is to mourn the person who has just died while the emotions are raw and the change is being dealt with.  It's a way to pay tribute and process what has happened.

For me personally, the memorial tributes on TCM serve that purpose, and I find it meaningful that they are done promptly.  I shared that personal point of view.   Obviously others who have posted here disagree.  I simply wanted to share that there is another POV out there.

My feeling is that life happens, death happens, and we bend with it a little to acknowledge what's happened.  TCM does a great job rescheduling the few movies that are pulled when a beloved actor dies.

"How is assembling a crew to film wraparounds a lot of work?"

For starters, people stop what they're otherwise doing to write, program, and produce the segments.  Both Osborne and Mankiewicz fly into Atlanta and film their tributes in big batches a few times a year, not constantly.  I suspect that the Osborne intros last week with the black backgrounds may have been filmed in New York rather than the normal Atlanta, but I don't know that for a fact.

"People search the TCM database and the TCM store and potentially buy some of those titles to remember the dead movie star, whether or not they are advertised."

So might not that happen right after someone dies whether or not TCM has a memorial tribute?  I'm not sure I see the problem here.

"Apologists present arguments. Others easily dismantle those arguments."

This seems like a rather snide and unfriendly comment responding to a point of view which was politely presented.  Would you interact that way with me if we were discussing this in person over coffee?

"The pre-emptions do not seem to take into account what brings people to TCM in the first place-- premieres of rare classic films."

TCM is also a community of people who love films.  As is often discussed at the TCM Festival, it's a way of life.  Part of that may be "gathering around the virtual fireplace" with other fans of a recently deceased actor to celebrate their life.  TCM is many things to many people, and I think it does a great job covering all those bases.

• Like 2

Right-- and we are running into another issue that has not been discussed here yet. The pre-emptions do not seem to take into account what brings people to TCM in the first place-- premieres of rare classic films. Why pre-empt the Bergman tribute and keep the Mel Brooks spotlight?  Especially when Brooks had an evening spotlight last summer, and there was also a Brooksfilm tribute a month or two ago?  Why is Mel Brooks more important than Ingmar Bergman?  Oh, I know, because he is a friend of TCM and will become Star of the Month before George Sanders. LOL

So not only are we rushing the death tributes to capitalize on media hype, we are also using strange criteria to bump certain evening programming that may be more worthwhile to TCM viewers than what is not bumped.

I hadnt thought of that, but you're right. I wouldnt have missed Mel Brooks night............

... I find it very meaningful to pay tribute to a star promptly after they pass on.  

For me, taking the time to change around the schedule is a mark of respect and a way to mourn their passing and celebrate their life soon after their passing.  A tribute four or five months later is nice but lacks the immediacy and doesn't catch the emotion of the moment. 

That is my primary feeling towards the timing of the tributes also. 

I would not expect them to be able to air a tribute the same evening or the very next day. I find it understandable that it may require a week to perform the necessary processing in order to air a different slate because they must acquire permissions from various sources and likely do not have physical copies of the movies in-house as they once did.

I believe that I am in the minority in that I do not center my life on the schedule and so a change is not a dire situation. I was very disappointed that the night of Ingmar Bergman movies was displaced but such is life. It seems that none of the movies were premieres but some have not been aired by TCM in considerable time and it may be that they have never aired in such continuity.

I do hope that TCM programmers reinstate the evening as a whole in a future schedule rather than dispersing the movies over a month or more. 

• Like 1

"How is assembling a crew to film wraparounds a lot of work?"

For starters, people stop what they're otherwise doing to write, program, and produce the segments. Both Osborne and Mankiewicz fly into Atlanta and film their tributes in big batches a few times a year, not constantly. I suspect that the Osborne intros last week with the black backgrounds may have been filmed in New York rather than the normal Atlanta, but I don't know that for a fact..

Osborne no longer goes to Atlanta to tape wraparounds. Ever since the long leave of absence he took a couple of years ago, TCM made concessions for him including a studio in NYC for his taped remarks.

I'm pretty sure they'll reschedule the Bergman tribute and probably it will be in January, as someone wiser than me stated elsewhere. You're always going to have detractors regarding this channel no matter what TCM does or doesn't do.

ETA: please, no PM's regarding what I just typed. I was just giving information.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings