Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Favorite taxi cab or car scene?

Since the theme this month is cars in the movies I thought I would ask all of you what your favorite taxi cab or car scene in a movie is?

I was thinking one of my favorites is the on in the end of Breakfast at Tiffany's.

Interested to know the rest of yours.

-Phoebe

This is an easy question for me - one of the best scenes ever made in movies is the taxi cab scene between brothers Terry and Charley Malloy (Marlon Brando and Rod Steiger) in "On The Waterfront" where Brando says his "I coulda been a contendah" speech. It was just one of the greatest moments in cinematic history.

While I was thinking to think of a favorutie taxi-cab scene, this one sprung to mind first. I wouldn't say it's my favoruite taxi-cab scene but more like what I think is the most deranged. It's Martin Scorsese's cameo in Taxi Driver, one of the most disturbing scenes I can think of in film history and complemented by a virtually silent Robert DeNiro. His facial reactions to the ravings of a homicidal maniac are priceless, if you like that sort of thing.

I like the car scene with Cary Grant and Grace Kelly in To Catch a Thief where she has a basket full of food in the car and asks him "do you want a breast or a thigh"? I thought that was one of the funniest lines I've ever heard.

Of course my favorite taxi cab scene was in "On The Waterfront" with Marlon Brando and Rod Steiger. It is such a gut-wrenching performance by Brando. I think that scene is so terrific but more importantly, it shows the depth of Brando's acting skills and truly immortalizes him as the greatest actor of the century. One of a kind....not many can ever reach his stature.

a good car scene is in the movie vanishing point were it shows the two cars from a distance and it showing the 2 cars in slow motion passing each other, it shows them in slow motion to show how fast the dodge challenger is moving compared to the other car.it a cool scene and a good movie!!!

In "Arise, My Love" with Claudette Colbert and Ray Milland. When they are in a carriage, after dining and dancing...through the course of previous scenes...Ray Milland is following the advice of how to woo a girl, thanks to Claudette Colbert. The funny thing is is that he is doing exactly what she had said scenes before to her. Taking a carriage and listening to the hooves of the horse hitting the cobblestone street, then counting to 1,000, then and just then...kiss her.

The scene is great as we are taken from a shot of the hooves of the horse, we are taken into the carriage and find Ray Milland and Claudette both counting in their heads....then he kisses her- she says that he has cheated and she only got to 910! It is a great scene...in which she explains that she is a career women and how she is in love...great!

Also, another great scene...is in "Roxie Hart" starring Ginger Rogers...at the end of the movie!

The first one that came to mind is from "It Should Happen to You" when Judy Holliday goes out with Peter Lawford in his convertible and she keeps asking him to drive around in a circle again and again so she can see her billboard.

• 6 months later...

My favorite taxi cab scene would have to be towards the end of "It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World," when everyone realizes that Spencer Tracy is not going to return the stolen money, but is trying to steal it for himself. And you then have two taxicabs full of people--Milton Berle, Sid Caesar, Buddy Hackett, Ethel Merman, Mickey Rooney, Dick Shawn, Phil Silvers, Terry-Thomas, Jonathan Winters, Edie Adams, Dorothy Provine, Eddie 'Rochester' Anderson, and Peter Falk--now chasing Spencer Tracy in his car. ROTFL!

I like the scene in ?The Lady from Shanghai? where the taxi driver almost hits Welles driving the carriage and he yells something at Welles like, ?Hey Mack! Get that nag outta here!?

I also like to see Rita Hayworth driving that 1948 Lincoln Continental convertible.

I like the taxi and cabbie parts in Midnight ... the cabbies driving around looking for Colbert for Ameche. My favorite car scene is the opening to Thunder Road, where Mitchums face is obscured by the car frame between the windshield and the driver's window ... then the camera pans and reveals Mitchum through the windshield as he suavely lights up a cigarette.

Message was edited by:

MattHelm

So many to choose from. One of my faves is from Big when Tom Hanks and Elizabeth Perkins are in the limo and he's trying every gadget in it and then eventually stands up through the sun-roof, coaxing her too as well. Not really a heavy or significant scene in movie history, but it's just fun.

For me, the answer is easy: The most classic/famous taxi-cab scene is from "On the Waterfront" with Marlon Brando and Rod Steiger - where Brando says one of the most famous lines in movie history: "I coulda had class, I coulda been a contender, I coulda been somebody, instead of a bum which is what I am, let's face it"

Marlon Brando = best actor ever.

In "Lured" (an excellent movie, BTW), Lucille Ball plays a woman doing undercover work for the police. She's in a cab with a cop after he's sort of saved her from a looine (cameo by Boris Karloff) and they tussle around because she thinks he's a bad guy. They get things straightened out and he hands her her gun and syas something like, "Here's your gun. You should take better care of it." and then she hands him his gun and goes, "Well, here's yours." Funny stuff. I live Lucille Ball in her cynical "woman who's been around the block a few times" phase.

The cab ride between Katharine Hepburn and Spencer Tracy in "Woman of the Year" is very romantic and sexy.

FredCDobbs,

I like your cab-character-collision scene. I will submit one other.

"Midnight Cowboy"--'Ratso' Rizzo (Dustin Hoffman) nearly run over by a NYC cab.

I hear that Dustin Hoffman likes to improvise scenes but, I have looked at that scene fairly closely--looks real life to me.

One of my favorite car(?) scenes is the tilt-a-whirl Vincente Minnelli had Lana Turner take in "The Bad And The Beautiful".

Rusty

I think it's in "North by Northwest" where Cary Grant jumps in a cab in NYC and says, "We're being followed. Can you do anything about it?" The cabbie coolly replies, "Yes, I can."

I love that!!! He doesn't try to hog our attention away from Cary. He's confident about his driving ability, but he doesn't brag about it....and he doesn't ask nosey questions. He quietly does like he's asked. Instead of turning him into comic relief, Hitchcock/Lehman let his character development stop right there. And it was perfect.