Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Silent Movie is really funny!

slaytonf

Never seen it before.  Not all of his take-offs on silent conventions work, but a lot are hilarious.  Not too many movies I laugh out loud at, but this is one of them.  I'm bummed I missed the beginning for recording.  Hope it shows up again.

It appears walkers have been a salient item with Mel Brooks for a long time.

I have always really liked this film, I consider it Mel's "sleeper".  I know that not everyone is in love with Mel Brooks' films, he really pushes the envelope at times and its too far for some people. But ironically, because this is a silent movie , there is little chance to be vulgar and the humor comes all from the visual.  Even if you're not a Brooks fan you should give this film a chance, I watch it almost every time I see it is on.  

It's unfortunate people focus on his bawdy humor, which is a small element of his comedy, and overlook everything else.  There is some bawdy stuff in Silent Movie, but it's funny.  My favorite is the scene in the board room, when the table rises.

I loved it! As a big fan of silent comedy I thought it captured just the right spirit. I was particularly tickled by Marty and his outfit in this, that was kind of precious. The three of them (Mel, Marty and Dom) made a great comic team, just like they used to have in the old days. The plot was clever, with the "This was a true story" notice at the end. The cameos were hilarious (Burt and Paul especially, and of course Marcel!), and a lot of the gags were surprisingly inspired.

Has anyone seen The Projectionist (1971) with Chuck McCann? The silent super hero sequences are very funny and clever, with comic book-like word bubbles in place of intertitles. I thought it was kind of similar to this movie in a way. Unlike silent movies in general, there seems to be something about silent comedy that has endured. Similarly but differently, Jacques Tati's movies can almost be considered silent, too, eh? Any others?

Ugh! I missed this movie.  I meant to record it on the DVR; but I forgot.  I just added it to the top of my Netflix queue, so I can watch it.  I love Mel Brooks-- he's hilarious.  Robin Hood: Men in Tights is amazing as is my favorite: Young Frankenstein

I'm looking forward to this film.

Mel is wonderfully funny to this present day when he's on stage/ doing interviews but I'm not sure if he could click as a film maker. He established  a high bar in the 70's when he was in his prime but slowly  his films started losing some of their energy and wit. His last few films  (in the 90's) were OK but definitely  sub par compared to his earlier work.

I'm looking forward to seeing Silent Movie, which I haven't viewed in years.

My two favourite Mel Brooks films, both classics in my opinion, are The Producers and Young Frankenstein.

Producers-1024x546.jpg

Ironically, The Producers was on the bottom half of a double bill that I saw at the show when it first came out. Not knowing anything about the Brooks film, I walked out on it after about ten minutes.

Discovering it years later in television I fell in love with it. The irony is that I can't for the life of me remember what film was the top half of that double bill that I saw.

The last Brooks comedy that I really enjoyed was History of the World Part One. I know that this one came in for some criticism from some who found it too vulgar in spots. Call me a vulgarian then, because much of it really tickled my funny bone. More than tickled me, actually, since I was laughing out loud.

historyoftheworldpart1-1.jpg

Long live "It's good to be the king."

I would agree, though, that Brooks last three films, Robin Hood: Men in Tights, Life Stinks and Dracula: Dead and Loving It, were disappointments. I must say, though, that I do, at least, love the title of the last named film.

I love The Producers and actually used a portion of it to explain to my economics and social justice class how derivatives work.  Who would have thought Max and Leo resembled Goldman Sachs?  

As vulgar as it is, I enjoy the Spanish Inquisition number in History of the World Part II.

I managed to stay up for most of High Anxiety the other night -- love the shower scene and "The Birds."

There is a special place in my heart for "Men in Tights."  I think Cary Elwes makes a great "Flynnish" Robin Hood, although Maid Marian is quite annoying.  It's clear from that movie which version of that story Mel prefers -- and it's not the Costner one!

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings