Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

it's Jane Fonda day

kaslovesTCM

Fonda's one of my least favorite actors, but it's hard to say she doesn't deserve a day, given her star status and extensive repertory.  I only wish they'd scheduled her best dramatic role, which was as the marathon dancer Gloria Beatty in They Shoot Horses, Don't They?  But I'm glad they did choose Walk on the Wild Side, which was the only other film of hers that I'd ever want to watch more than once.

Guest TCMModerator1

Please keep the discussion to her body of film work, let's leave the political & personal aspects of her life out of this thread.

Thanks!

I like Jane Fonda and love Cat Ballou -- one of the jolliest films of my youth. I wish Barbarella was being shown, so that I could see my old friend Milo O'Shea (whose character inspired the name of the band Duran Duran), but there is plenty to enjoy in Jane Fonda day, and I think all of it in HD!

I am disappointed in TCM for ‘Hanoi Jane’ day. Some of us would like to have celebrated her achievements in a Federal Prison.

Looks like Rose Kennedy had wisdom in her quote..

“It has been said, 'time heals all wounds.' I do not agree. The wounds remain. In time, the mind, protecting its sanity, covers them with scar tissue and the pain lessens. But it is never gone.”

After 40+ years has only this issue not subsided but has gotten worse.  I've read the blogs regarding the recent UCLA speech and AFI awards. Funny that the people of Vietnam has moved on but some of us have not.

Elmer, the story of why Jane went to Hanoi is explained here.  It might clear up misconceptions and explain the controversial gun photo.

http://www.janefonda.com/the-truth-about-my-trip-to-hanoi/

Jane Fonda's movies are judged here, nothing else.

Edited by hamradio
  • Like 1

One of my all-time favorite actresses. In my young adulthood, Fonda was consistently one of the most watchable and versatile stars of the era. Klute, Julia, and They Shoot Horses, Don't They? remain my favorites.

• Like 1

I am disappointed in TCM for ‘Hanoi Jane’ day. Some of us would like to have celebrated her achievements in a Federal Prison.

So this idiot, who has never posted on TCM before, comes up with this blather? Why hasn't the post been deleted?

• Like 1

I can't wait to watch the AFI Lifetime Achievement Award presentation tonight on TCM. I am surprised they didn't recognize her sooner. 

Yes. Me too. Long overdue. I'm glad they are finally honoring her........

• Like 1

Hamradio:  Thank you so much for giving us the link to Jane's article.  Most of this was news to me and very much appreciated.  She presented her account of what happened without bitterness towards those who've maligned her and accepting responsibility for her part in the incident even though the offense was not intentional.   

I've been taught that when one admits a wrong, expresses sorrow for it, and asks forgiveness while forgiving those hurting him/her, the onus passes from that person to the "wronged parties" if they do not accept.  This is a paramount tenant of Christianity, which Jane embraced some years ago and is a belief claimed by many of her detractors.  If I am to live by these tenants I must give her the benefit of doubt as I did Charles Colson after Watergate or Newt Gingrich when he converted to my faith-that was a hard one-after several marital scandals.  There are always two sides with the truth usually in the middle with elements of both. 

She is an excellent actress and deserves her day.  I'm definitely watching the AFI tribute tonight.  And for the record I'm a moderate who disagrees with her as much as I agree.  This is about fairness, not partisanship.

• Like 1

ventures in cautiously here...

glad things are being cool. hope the moderators have their caffiene ready and are in a benevolent mood today, 'cause Ole Gurl deserves to be discussed, and- yeah- respected- at least for me personally (I'm not by any means telling you what or how to think here.)

she deserves respect on three counts (at least from my POV):

1. She looks fabulous. Whatever went into it is a moot point- it worked. She looks great.

2. A retrospective of her career shows how much she improved as an actress, and I respect ANYONE who does that. (Jean Harlow comes to mind immediately.) She is awful in some of her early stuff, and some of said early stuff is awful too. But instead of cracking under the pressure- she stepped up her game and got so much better and I respect anyone who can do that, and we certainly don't lack for plenty of examples of people who were born with famous last names but continue to lack luster even after being at it for years. That the same "actress" in- oh lemme just pick on Tall Story- turned into the actress who did such great work in They Shoot...?, Klute, Coming Home, The Morning After, On Golden Pond ; it is astounding.

3. I get the sense that- although I can't  speak for her- she understands and respects that the controversy is always going to be there and will always come up when her name is mentioned. And I don't (although again I can't say for sure) think she'd want anyone who said out loud that they thought that what she did was "stupid" (or better yet "tacky" in the perhaps more apt nomenclature of some) to be shot down or silenced. 

Yes. Me too. Long overdue. I'm glad they are finally honoring her........

I saw a clip of Meryl Streep (Honoree 2004) paying tribute to her, and it actually sounded genuine for once. Of course, if Meryl never did Julia with Fonda, it would be a different story. I've read and heard Jane say that Meryl is the actress Jane would have been if she didn't "retire" for fifteen years. Well, I take issue with that, because after those fifteen years, the films Jane does today are to her caliber and Jane is still an artist among celebrities. I wish I could say the same of Streep in that respect. 

• Like 1

I saw a clip of Meryl Streep (Honoree 2004) paying tribute to her, and it actually sounded genuine for once. Of course, if Meryl never did Julia with Fonda, it would be a different story. I've read and heard Jane say that Meryl is the actress Jane would have been if she didn't "retire" for fifteen years. Well, I take issue with that, because after those fifteen years, the films Jane does today are to her caliber and Jane is still an artist among celebrities. I wish I could say the same of Streep in that respect. 

Good post. I don't think Fonda's long absence hurt her at all-- as you have suggested, it only helped her.

So this idiot, who has never posted on TCM before, comes up with this blather? Why hasn't the post been deleted?

Threads about Jane have been closed often in the past because of garbage like that. And the malcontents who do this have sometimes been banned. So, what we get now is a "new" member that is actually a sock puppet of an existing member coming in to inject its malice while hiding behind a temporary puppet head like a coward.

• Like 1

For a bit of perspective, here's a list of the 42 recipients of the American Film Institute's Lifetime Achievement Award:

1973 -- John Ford.

1974 -- James Cagney.

1975 -- Orson Welles.

1976 -- William Wyler.

1977 -- Bette Davis (first female recipient).

1978 -- Henry Fonda (daughter Jane honored in 2014).

1979 -- Sir Alfred Hitchcock.

1980 -- James Stewart.

1981 -- Fred Astaire.

1982 -- Frank Capra.

1983 -- John Huston.

1984 -- Lillian Gish (oldest recipient at age 90).

1985 -- Gene Kelly.

1986 -- Billy Wilder.

1987 -- Barbara Stanwyck.

1988 -- Jack Lemmon.

1989 -- Gregory Peck.

1990 -- Sir David Lean.

1991 -- Kirk Douglas (son Michael honored in 2009).

1992 -- Sidney Poiter (first African-American recipient).

1993 -- Elizabeth Taylor.

1994 -- Jack Nicholson.

1995 -- Steven Spielberg.

1996 -- Clint Eastwood.

1997 -- Martin Scorsese.

1998 -- Robert Wise.

1999 -- Dustin Hoffman.

2000 -- Harrison Ford.

2001 -- Barbra Streisand.

2002 -- Tom Hanks (youngest recipient at age 45).

2003 -- Robert De Niro.

2004 -- Meryl Streep.

2005 -- George Lucas.

2006 -- Sir Sean Connery.

2007 -- Al Pacino.

2008 -- Warren Beatty (sister Shirley MacLaine honored in 2012).

2009 -- Michael Douglas (father Kirk honored in 1991).

2010 -- Mike Nichols.

2011 -- Morgan Freeman.

2012 -- Shirley MacLaine (brother Warren Beatty honored in 2008).

2013 -- Mel Brooks (first recipient honored primarily for comedy).

2014 -- Jane Fonda (father Henry honored in 1978).

• Like 1

Good post. I don't think Fonda's long absence hurt her at all-- as you have suggested, it only helped her.

It's as if she never left. She has appeared on television more, done a Broadway show, did improv professionally for one night, and has appeared in well-written and well received films. She just scored an Emmy nomination for her performance of Leona Lassing in "The Newsroom." I think she should have been nominated for Best Supporting Actress in "The Butler" for her brief but convincing appearance as Nancy Reagan. 

Gene Hackman will surely be added soon.

He'd be very deserving, although I wonder if he's been asked but turned it down. I wouldn't be surprised if Cary Grant and Katharine Hepburn declined the honor during their lifetimes. 

He'd be very deserving, although I wonder if he's been asked but turned it down. I wouldn't be surprised if Cary Grant and Katharine Hepburn declined the honor during their lifetimes. 

Hepburn declined a Kennedy Center Honor once or twice. She didn't want to be recognized that way while Reagan was president. She had no problem with H.W. Bush though. 

I listed Klute, Julia, and They Shoot Horses, Don't They? as my favorite Jane Fonda films. But who can chooses from so many great performance and films?

On Golden Pond

Barefoot in the Park

The Morning After

Coming Home

The Dollmaker

The China Syndrome

Walk on the Wild Side

Nine to Five

Stanley and Iris

Comes a Horseman

Too bad the film version of Widows' Adventure got canceled. Fonda was to star with Diane Keaton.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings