Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Pre-Code Films

Guest TCMhost-Joy

Guest son, jery

Is Phillip Homes as babe-a-licious as Lew Ayers (maybe its spelt Awyers)? Just caught him in THE KISS with Garbo and wooo, he was someone Garbo should have kissed and kissed and...In some memoir about Garbo, she supposedly treated him like a kid brother and was amused when Adrian told her Lew was "madly in love with her." God, she had them lined up back then!

Guest Lyndsey

I think it's Lew Ayres, actually. Personally, I think he's more attractive than Phillip Holmes, but that's just my opinion! That was a good film, actually, despite what some people would say...don't know who, but I heard someone say that once. I think he was in ALL QUIET ON THE WESTERN FRONT, also.

Guest olmsted, l

Jery, I was hooked on Lew Ayers after THE KISS too! He was so boyish and cute and with his character pining after the "older" woman, he became that much more adorable.

And by the way...I think the actor's name is "Phillips Holmes!" He was named for his mother's surname, I believe. It doesn't roll off the lips too well, does it?

• 1 month later...

Mick LaSalle has a new book out--this time about pre-Code men! It's called "Dangerous Men" and is available on Amazon, and probably other places too. His other book, "Complicated Women" is a must-read for any pre-Code fans, so I can't wait to read what he has to say about the men of this era! Have any of you read this yet? If so, please let us know what you thought about it!

Guest son, jery

Yes, Alix, I browsed through this very volume yesterday at the neighborhood B&N and it looked okay. My only complaint about both this volume and the one on women is that there's not enough! The profiles are too brief but I did like to find someone else exploring my question: why were there so few maintee idols in the early talkies--except for the regulars like Cagney and March and Muni. Still, I might check this out of the library.

Guest Keaton, Rina

TROUBLE IN PARADISE was fabulous! Mind you, I found the opening in Venice a little slow. But once the story shifted to Paris, it was simply first-class. Marshall, Francis and Hopkins were great!

Guest Lorusso, Ed

Just rented Night After Night (1932) which was a fast 73-minute delight. I don't think TCM has ever shown this one. George Raft and Constance Cummings starred, with Mae West making her film debut. Raft once said Mae stole everything but the cameras! She was wonderful, especially in her scene with the great Alison Skipworth as Miss Jellyman. Roscoe Karns and Wynne Gibson also appeared. Nice, snappy film.

What studio released that one? You know, sometimes those 60-70 minute films really ARE great! They are so short, every little thing counts. I also enjoy the pacing, because they don't have time to drag. Some that comes to mind like that are TWO SECONDS with Edward G. Robinson and THREE ON A MATCH. They pack a lot into a little amount of time! Can you imagine a major studio film today, with big stars, that lasted only 60 minutes?

Hi Marc! I think the following Gilbert movies have been shown on TCM: HE WHO GETS SLAPPED (1924), FLESH & THE DEVIL (1926), LOVE (1927), BIG PARADE (1928), SHOW PEOPLE in a small, cameo role appearing as himself (1928), HOLLYWOOD REVUE OF 1929 (1929), and I think WAY FOR A SAILOR (1930), although I may be wrong on this one. I am a fan of Gilbert, and would love to see more of his work on TCM--especially his "disasterous" talkie, HIS GLORIOUS NIGHT. I'd love to see how this sounded for myself. I find his voice to be just fine, at least in the movies I've heard him talk in. The film clip I've heard of this movie does sound silly, but mostly because of the dialogue, "I love you! I love you! I love you."

• 5 weeks later...

If you ask me , I'd say it's been pretty slim pickins the past couple of months on TCM as far as pre-code airings is concerned. And, I wonder why the same pre-codes get shown over and over such as Employee Entrance (which is excellent), while films like Beast of the City, Goldie, Kay Francis pre-codes from Paramount, and Clara Bow's are practically never shown? Also Joan Blondell made quite a few films for Warners during the pre-code period and most of those havent been aired? WHAT IS THE DEAL? And , host, dont suggest that I go to the request-a-movie site because I've done that. You should see some of the "turkeys" people are asking for on that site!-- It's mostly stuff made after the 1940's.

hiya gang! I think I'm back. I had to go through a whole physical and personal transformation from Jery Son to Patypancake! But anyhoo--Art Deco is one of my faves. If you've never the horror flick from l933, "The Black Cat," you simply gotta see this one! There's this incredible German castle,decorated in knock-out black and silver art deco lamps, chairs, stairs, clothes. Another real goodie is "Our Dancing Daughters", the l929 Jazz Mad teen flick that starred our faves, Anita Page and Joanie Crawford. Anita wipes everybody off the screen with her suicide fall at the end. But anyhoo, this movie was featured in a movie series at the Film Forum here in NYC on "Art Deco in the Cinema." Adrian designed the girls frocks as art deco creations and Joan's mansion is an eye-boggling celebration of stark lines and black walls and statues here and there. Long live Art Deco!

Deco Night! Oooo, Jery--I mean Patypancake--what a delicious idea for an all day moviethon! Glad you're back posting again. This new message board has been frustrating, to say the least!

How about some of those gorgeous penthouses Warren William's characters got to live in? They knock me out, and of course having Warren there in his silk smoking jacket doesn't hurt!

Wouldn't it be wonderful to have a full day, or month full of deco-licious movies?

Who was your favorite pre-Code Nasty Girl? Was it Jean Harlow, as Vantine? Barbara Stanwyck as "Baby Face?" Mae West? I'd love to know who your favorite is.

Mine would be Jean Harlow, playing Vantine, the hooker with the heart of gold and wisecracking mouth.

Vantine it is! I simply adored Harlow! She made me think of a sweet, vulnerable girl who was trying to act tough and survive in a tough world. I also loved that slight slouch she had and the way she put her hands on her hips. Do you remember that incredible scene in "Public Enemy" (1930)when James Cagney spots her for the first time? She's wearing total art deco: heavily mascared eyes, penciled brows, a weird, fur outfit and cloche hat. When I saw her looking like that, I thought to myself: good god, this really is a new type of American beauty. Compare that look with all those Jazz babies. Even Bow always looked sweet and soft as a flapper. But Harlow in "Public Enemy", looking blunt and painted up, just knocked me out of my seat.

I think Barbara Stanwyck would be nearly everyone's favorite pre-code actress, but a close second for me would be Ann Harding. Her acting chops are great and she has a cool, smouldering sexuality especially when playing the other woman as in "The Animal Kingdom" (1932).