Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
mdamron63

Star of The Month

How about --- George Raft, Glora Graham, Kirk Douglas, Jack Webb, John Wayne- (not just the war movies- how about 'She Wore A Yellow Ribbon,Pittsburgh, Rooster Cogburn,etc... Thanks

I would love to see Gloria Graham, Rod Steiger, Shelley Winters, Thelma Ritter and Agnes Morehead, be 'stars of the month'. How about it TCM?

caligirl, Shelley Winters was Star of the Month just a few months ago. TCM seldom has supporting players as their Star of the Month such as Thelma Ritter, Agnes Moorehead etc. however such stars are usually give a birthday tribute with a day of their films.

Mongo

I watched a bunch of Shelley Winters films(I hadn't heard of her until then) and they were all good...she is a great actress

I would love to see all the big stars(which they have probably already done) like Brando, Bogie, Bacall, John Wayne, Jimmy Stewart. I wish they would do a whole month and so like all of Hitchcock's films!

A big star I would like to see is Ronald Colman. Pretty much the only movies of his they show is "Prisoner of Zenda" or "Random Harvest", but he did so much more. And his voice! (sigh) My mom always said he could read the phone book and it's worth listening to. . . .

Lady, TCM also shows "A Tale of Two Cities" and "A Double Life" for which he won his Oscar.

Mongo

Lady, TCM also shows "A Tale of Two Cities" and "A Double Life" which Colman received his Oscar for.

Mongo

well, im glad to see that Harold Lloyd is April's star of the month. I would like to see Charlie Chaplin and Buster Keaton too. Also, Alec Guinness and Jack Lemmon would be great. A spotlight on the movies of Billy Wilder would be spectacular.

Yes, Warren William would be a good Star of the Month.

Whether in drama or what I call his "roguish" roles he's

an underrated actor. He's perfect for pre-code films.

Incidentally, one of his craziest roles was in SATAN MET

A LADY (the first re-make of THE MALTESE FALCON).

Ida Lupino truly deserves the title of that most rare of creatures: A Genuine Star Diva! Her Warner Brothers movies in the early 40s were fabulous. And she went on to make great work before and behind the camera. Here's something about the fabulous Ida that very few know about: she deliberately turned down a juicy, powerful contract with Warner Brothers in l944 because her numerologist and her astrologist both said the planets were not properly aligned! Jack Warner literally begged her one day in his office to sign the contract that would have given her more power than Joan Crawford-but less than Bette Davis. Ida said no. The numbers and the planets were not right. Gawwwwwd, to think of all the grea roles she could have continued to play. Jack Warner personally offered her the following star-making roles: "Mildred Pierce," "The Fountainehead," "Beyond the Forest," "The Strange loves of Martha Ivers," "Sorry, Wrong Number," "Flamingo Road," "White heat," etc. But Ida, we still adore and worship you! Come on TCM! A Star of the Month tribute to the Fabulous Ida!

Does TCM have a listing of all the previous stars of the month on this website? I've only had TCM a short while and would love to know who has been featured already.

I'd like to see a Star of the Month review of Robert Walker's career. His very short career was due to untimely death at age 33 in 1951. He was most well known for his role as Bruno Antony in Hitchcock's "Strangers On A Train." He was versatile in light comedies and dramas, playing heavies in a couple of films. Married Phyllis Isley, later named "Jennifer Jones" by independent producer, David O. Selznick, who later broke up the Walker marriage as he was enthralled by Jones.

I have saved just about every (1) of the "Now Playing" guides I was getting! I only stopped temporarily because of moving & am re-subscribing next month. Anyone of whom wants info on who was "Star of Month"-(I more than likely will know without you having to look-it up on this site) I know for certain *CHAPLIN has already been. Cover was of "Great Dictator" & Kirk Douglas-(1916-) has also been named. But you can send for back issues. Drop me a line at: spencer64@ij.net I do know however that Hedy Lamarr has not as yet been noted? Not sure about Raft? Unlikely that Jack Webb will be though-(hardly made many films) But I have a huge stack of the guides & I actually lamenated a couple *TRACY/ *SINATRA/ Natalie Wood & *CAGNEY! Pretty-cool, I paint edges with flour. paint & It'll glow in the dark actually! Anyway, if any true cinema fans-(you gals & guys on here of course!) desire that info just drop me a line. To patypancake *BETTE DAVIS has been selected already. But you probably know that. TCM is probably gonna' have to do Directors,etc. after awhile. There are just soo-many heavyweight stars they can pick?

(*-OSCAR) To patypancake, you are obviously a mega-fan of *BETTE DAVIS! Have you seen 1987's terrific & sad film "The Whales of August?" (***1/2-very good) Anne Sothern was the only person nominated for-it though? Lillian Gish was 93 in the film & Vincent Price is also on hand. A wonderfully done little film. Gentle & all. It's on tv frequently. Actually *BETTE looks worse health-wise,etc. then Gish? Years of chain smoking,etc. But it's a terrific little picture & It was helmed by a frm british critic, also now-gone Lindsay Anderson. Even Harry Carey, Jr. Is in the film.

I'm fairly certain TCM has already had Ida Lupino-(1918-95) as it's "Star of the Month"-(I'll look through my "Now Playing" mags.) But being it's so-much fun to just post on here each time-(Takes 2 to 3 attempts?> & to coin a phrase from someone on here! It just makes me to darn "Snarky!") Drop me a line: (spencer64@ij.net) I can even see the cover in my mind as I attempt to write this. As I noted you can send 4 back-issues though. But you've then still missed the month unfortunately. She was also terrific in Steve McQueen's comedy-western: "Junior Bonner" '72 Opposite Robert Preston-(1918-87) By the way although the ACADEMY ignored the actress, she won NY Critics Award for "The Hard Way" (***)

How about Joan Blondell? In watching some of these Pre-Code films this month, I'm reminded of a lot of good actresses from the 30's who aren't mentioned much today. Constance Bennett would be another good choice - she was a major star in the early 30's. I'd also like to see Sterling Hayden recognized. He was a great leading man, and is not mentioned much nowadays. His performance in "The Killing" is a total knockout. He plays the roll perfectly.

Maybe TCM has already featured these adorable legends but even if they have, we could always use a second dose:

1. Anita Page. Beautiful, charismatic, a genuine flapper.

2. Wiliam Haines. Sexy, cute, funny, fascinating and he could act, too.

3. Nazimova/Mae Murray. Maybe there aren't that many of their films available in the TCM vaults but both gals were major stars during the 20s.

4. 20th Century had so many glittery stars: Alice Faye, Betty Grable, Carmen Miranda. Wish TCM could "borrow" these from the owners of the 20th Century library.

Oooh Nick! I'm with you for JOHN GILBERT! I think many would agree that he's long passed his due for Star of the Month. I would also like to see Claudette Colbert, Delores Del Rio, Constance Bennett (as someone already mentioned), Natalie Wood, Greer Garson, Joan Fontaine, Ramon Novarro, Douglas Fairbanks Jr., and Robert Taylor (but only his older stuff). I'm sure I must have missed some of these already being chosen for Star of the Month though. :(

Lolmstead - I agree with you on Joan Fontaine. I think she might have been star of the month once, but I would love to see Robert Osborne do a "Private Screenings" session with this legend, and be able to see her movies throughout the month. She is practically a recluse, living up in Carmel, California, and I wish they would drag her outa there so she can talk about her amazing career before she passes on. Claudette Colbert was another great suggestion. She made a ton of great movies, among them my personal favorite of hers "The Palm Beach Story," which I hope TCM will show sometime soon.